Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 20, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #128,836 of 155,096
My experience with USB cables has been thus (if anyone cares):

AudioQuest USB from Mac to Bifrost - randomly stops seeing Bifrost.
Generic USB from the printer I bought - no issues. Oh and I experienced new aural vistas and all the veils were crushed. And some other stuff too.
The only cables that have failed in my systems over the past many, many years have been Audioquest Cinnamon RCA interconnects. The cables were not adequately secured to the male jack and after a dozen or so reconfigurations the right channel said goodbye. Snake Oil RCA interconnects have been great as well as Blue Jean Cables for digital coax and optical.

Oct 20, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #128,837 of 155,096
1697812320666.png

Oct 20, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #128,838 of 155,096
Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #128,839 of 155,096
I'll see your Bob Dylan and raise you a Henry Rollins:

My girlfriend asked me
Which one I like better
Six pack!
I hope the answer won't upset her
Six pack!
I was born with a bottle in my mouth
Six pack!
Now I've got six so I'll never run out
Six pack!

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #128,842 of 155,096
Christmas came early this year. Hackney Diamonds! Wiim Pro>Bifrost 2>Valhalla 2>Willsenton R8>Klipsch RP600M II...play loud, well, it's the Stones.
I had to go and look to see what the Willsenton R8 is. It reminds me of a '70s Macintosh tube amp. Probably a copy. How good is it?

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #128,844 of 155,096
… now, who hasn’t done this? Play an Alvin & Chipmunks 33 rpm LP at 45 rpm / high volume to drive parents nuts?

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #128,845 of 155,096
Are you saying we should use Apple cables?

That cable is thunderbolt. Schiit products do not use thunderbolt cables they use USB-2 level cables.

Schiit recommends Amazon Basics or Monoprice. Apple does not offer a USB-c to USB-b cable, Monoprice does.
Educate me, please… Why are there electronics in a cable? Might they be there to determine that it’s a genuine “something” cable? I may well be straying into either science fiction or conspiracy theory here (or both), but I guess I think a cable ought to stop after connectors, solder and, well, cable. I guess adding a sleeve material (electric purple is obviously more conducive to better sound) is ok too…

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #128,846 of 155,096
Educate me, please… Why are there electronics in a cable? Might they be there to determine that it’s a genuine “something” cable? I may well be straying into either science fiction or conspiracy theory here (or both), but I guess I think a cable ought to stop after connectors, solder and, well, cable. I guess adding a sleeve material (electric purple is obviously more conducive to better sound) is ok too…

I think that some cables have electronics to support certain Apple interconnect protocols. I may be wrong, but USB-2 (the one supported by Schiit products) do not have electronics.

USB cabling connectivity and diagrams HERE.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #128,847 of 155,096
I think that some cables have electronics to support certain Apple interconnect protocols. I may be wrong, but USB-2 (the one supported by Schiit products) do not have electronics.

USB cabling connectivity and diagrams HERE.
High speed cables require their own signal boost circuitry, especially at lengths above half a meter or a meter.

There might also be proprietary high speed charging stuff going on, like bundling of strands for power instead of data to enable higher charging ratings for cables that would otherwise be too thin.

There’s no DRM or “walled garden” stuff going on.

Oct 20, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #128,849 of 155,096
Thunderbolt cables require active electronics to maintain high data-transfer speeds over more than short lengths. See, e.g., here. It's not an Apple-specific thing.

Oct 20, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #128,850 of 155,096
My experience with USB cables has been thus (if anyone cares):

AudioQuest USB from Mac to Bifrost - randomly stops seeing Bifrost.
Generic USB from the printer I bought - no issues. Oh and I experienced new aural vistas and all the veils were crushed. And some other stuff too.
Heh, been going through a bit of this myself. This cheap printer cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09F9HSZ3W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 has worked flawlessly (directly connected to a USB-C port on a M1Pro Macbook Pro) with my BF 2/64.

I decided I wanted a 1.5 meter length cable, and one of better build quality. So, based on a mention of a cable builder (https://ghentaudio.com/products/u360?VariantsId=12969,12971,12978) on another forum, I ordered one. It came today, looks terrific, very robust build by all appearances. The problem? It doesn't pass a signal from my MBP to my BF 2/64; I knew right away when it didn't make clicking noises when connecting the cable.

BF 2/64 does not show up in macOS as a connected audio device. :shrug: It's not like it was expensive (~$44USD, I think, shipped), but still annoying. I sent the maker an email inquiry, but my guess is the response will be along the lines of "sorry, but this cable is not meant for such use yada yada yada" (sorry for the cynicism; I've had a bad run of luck as a consumer (other than the two Schiit products I've bought in the last 7 months).

So, the moral of the (well, *my*) story? Sometimes the cheap schiit is the best schiit.

EDIT: I just tried connecting my MBP to a printer using the new USB-C to USB-B cable, and no luck. Of course, an old, cheap USB printer cable works just fine. Looks like I received a bum cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back