Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 19, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #128,791 of 155,092
Which score is "the whale music" from the new Fantasia? That's the one my kids remember.
Ottorino Respighi "Pines of Rome"

Oct 19, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #128,792 of 155,092
I currently have a Grado ph-1 phono amp. I wanted to try out the Schiit Mani to see if there were any noticable differences. But now I see the Skoll is available and I am wondering if I should try that instead.
If going single ended only, will the Skoll be better than the Mani? And has anybody compared the mani to the grado?

For reference. My turntable is a Fluance RT85. But has a Ortofon Bronze Cartridge.

Just ordered a Skoll to upgrade my Mani 2 as I was in a bit of a YOLO mood today. 😅💸 Looks like I’ll be waiting a week or two for shipping but can let you know my findings when it shows up. I’m also on an RT85 but still using the stock 2M Blue for now. The bronze upgrade is coming once my stylus is a little closer to end of life.

Oct 19, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #128,793 of 155,092
I guess you all are too young to remember the Lone Ranger, or Saturday morning episodes of the Flash Gordon serial.😁

Oct 19, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #128,794 of 155,092
Just ordered a Skoll to upgrade my Mani 2 as I was in a bit of a YOLO mood today. 😅💸 Looks like I’ll be waiting a week or two for shipping but can let you know my findings when it shows up. I’m also on an RT85 but still using the stock 2M Blue for now. The bronze upgrade is coming once my stylus is a little closer to end of life.
Looking forward to your review.

Oct 19, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #128,797 of 155,092
Are you saying we should use Apple cables?

That cable is thunderbolt. Schiit products do not use thunderbolt cables they use USB-2 level cables.

Schiit recommends Amazon Basics or Monoprice. Apple does not offer a USB-c to USB-b cable, Monoprice does.
Er, yes, the first cable looked at was Thunderbolt. But not the second, not the third. However, the look at the Apple Thunderbird cable was interesting on its own, especially for the detailed description of the quality and construction techniques. If you had scrolled a bit further down, the Amazon Basics USB cable was indeed not at all bad. Personally, I had a much better appreciation of what quality for a cable is after reading this- YMMV of course.

Oct 19, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #128,798 of 155,092
Looking forward to hearing your findings once you get the Skoll. I too have an RT85 with the 2M Blue Cartridge, and a Mani 2. if I can be honest, I didn’t care for the Mani 2. I took pictures and boxed it up on May 17th, according to the dates on the pictures. Currently using the built in phono preamp in my Marantz AVR SR7005, which I find quieter, more laid back and better sound stage when listening on my 2.1 system. The plan is to eventually replace the Marantz (which I run in Direct mode into a 2 channel amp) with a Kara and a Skoll.

Oct 19, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #128,799 of 155,092
Er, yes, the first cable looked at was Thunderbolt. But not the second, not the third. However, the look at the Apple Thunderbird cable was interesting on its own, especially for the detailed description of the quality and construction techniques. If you had scrolled a bit further down, the Amazon Basics USB cable was indeed not at all bad. Personally, I had a much better appreciation of what quality for a cable is after reading this- YMMV of course.
Seems that the text isn't provided if you're not a Twitter / X user, which is what may be leading to confusion.
As a non-user all you see is the headline and a few second video of the CT scanned Thunderbolt cable spinning around ...

Oct 19, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #128,800 of 155,092
AHAH, that must be it. I finally signed up for X this week so I see the full thread. Nuts. It is a really interesting article. Here's the part on the Amazon Basics cable:

1697752332448.png

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #128,801 of 155,092
I recently noticed it too. But it wasn’t mentioned as far as I know. Probably due to components increase. Still a stellar amp even at the new price
It certainly is. Though I’m glad I snagged my silver one at introduction when it was $199; my ears don’t mind, but my wallet is happier :ksc75smile:

Oct 19, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #128,802 of 155,092
My brother gave me a CD of Christmas songs by Bob Dylan. It was one of the most horrifying experiences of my life.

I will always remember someone on NPR reviewing that album. He said (paraphrasing), "The song I'll Be Home for Christmas sounds more like a threat than a promise." 🤣

Oct 19, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #128,803 of 155,092
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #128,804 of 155,092
Yeah, if you aren't willing to own a Logitech product then you are sadly missing the best mouse, which is the Logitech MX Master Mouse.
In your opinion...
I personally can't stand those types of mice. I need something that is ambi as I use the mouse in both hands depending on what application I'm using etc... I've tried numerous mice and for me the best one I've found is the Glorious model O- I use the wired on my desktop and have a wireless one for travelling. They are light, and the perfect size (for me) and the buttons are excellent.

You don't need to have software running all the time for it either. I installed their software and set it up like I wanted then that gets programmed to its firmware and you can then remove the software so you don't have another program running in the background taking up resources.

Oct 19, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #128,805 of 155,092

Users who are viewing this thread

Back