Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 21, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #126,842 of 152,207
Some kind of fibre-optic cable ?
The winner!

Yup, A cable tv service truck rolled by the house and I went and asked him what's up?
He was really nice and said he was working of high speed internet to a local elementary school 2847 feet from us!
A cable issue. Fiber cable.
He had a mobile workshop that you cab pull a device (cable splice box) into the "camper" like structure with 2 work benches and
many exotic fiber optic optic tools for testing and splicing.
I asked how they did this.
He welcomed me into his mobile workshop and watched as he took the fiber optic splice box apart...amazing!
Then he showed my how the tested via pulse modulation to send and receive a signal to find the break or issue.
Reads out in "feet"...this is how I know the distance from my house to the school!
The amazing this is look at the pix, there are 2 layers to get to the actual "glass" fiber part.
This was stripped with a really "crude" set of wire strippers!! Again amazing.

He then showed me to the new fiber optics ribbon cable they are moving to...24 stands.

1695310511479.png

Ok folks back to our regular Schiit programming!

Alex
:>)

Sep 21, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #126,846 of 152,207
The winner!

Yup, A cable tv service truck rolled by the house and I went and asked him what's up?
He was really nice and said he was working of high speed internet to a local elementary school 2847 feet from us!
A cable issue. Fiber cable.
He had a mobile workshop that you cab pull a device (cable splice box) into the "camper" like structure with 2 work benches and
many exotic fiber optic optic tools for testing and splicing.
I asked how they did this.
He welcomed me into his mobile workshop and watched as he took the fiber optic splice box apart...amazing!
Then he showed my how the tested via pulse modulation to send and receive a signal to find the break or issue.
Reads out in "feet"...this is how I know the distance from my house to the school!
The amazing this is look at the pix, there are 2 layers to get to the actual "glass" fiber part.
This was stripped with a really "crude" set of wire strippers!! Again amazing.

He then showed me to the new fiber optics ribbon cable they are moving to...24 stands.

Ok folks back to our regular Schiit programming!

Alex
:>)
I am certified to work with it but never bothered, I did have to learn enough to be able to answer questions and train employees.🤪

Sep 21, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #126,847 of 152,207
Single Mode Fiber ?
Generally single mode does have a yellow jacket so good guess. Orange for multi mode. In this kind of cable multiple colors are used.

Sep 21, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #126,848 of 152,207
Sep 21, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #126,850 of 152,207
Sep 21, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #126,851 of 152,207
I thought it was some kind of acupuncture torture.
There are specialized tools for working with such things.AB3F6F9B-7273-44CA-846E-E643A74688A2.jpegThis is for copper wire and goes down to 32 awg. Pretty much guaranteed not to lose a strand or nick solid wire.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #126,852 of 152,207
Well "most stress" needs to be defined here....in relative terms other components can be stressed as much per their specs and useage in a circuit.
That said after lots of discussions with honest techs that do this stuff I decided to leave these alone, tested ok, just replaced the old heat sink compound with
some good ole Dow Corning goop and new mica insulators. Ya cant get the original ones anymore, well maybe if ya find an elf at the end of a rainbow. There are replacements but some think they dont sound the same...opinions for sure. YMMV. Also re-sale value with working original outs is higher, go figure.

Many of the replacement smaller transistors have had known problems and have caused issues. All identified and replaced. Also several just older items replaced just for safety. The circuit protection, A few power transistors on the amp board were not replaced, no know replacements. Ugh!...

That said the amp meets all specs, 160 + watts rms. Need to do an alignment on the tuner soon as well.

Many of the caps measured really bad...OMG...cant figure out how it even worked...when I got it...the dc voltages setup were a bit whacky. Now solid.

Alex
From what I've been seeing on Mr. Carlson's Lab (check Youtube) bad electrolytics can make your life miserable if they decide to they like your power transformers (especially with tube gear). By "most stress" I was thinking that speaker loads for the most part will be variable around their nominal value and the output transistors will be seeing varying loads that over time that they might not like. On the other hand, all of the transistors deeper within the circuitry would/should see more consistent loading and operating conditions and (hopefully) be longer lived. But then, my experience lies with photons not electrons. I just use electrons as a tool to make photons.

Sep 21, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #126,853 of 152,207
Anybody know what this is?

HINT:
Optical fiber. As in, you break that box you make a sizeable number of people very unhappy because you just killed their internet access. Not just homes but businesses.

And talking about acupuncture, you break off a shard of that and get it embedded in your finger, you'll regret it for many weeks. I've spliced many a fiber, most polarization-maintaining, to not want to deal with them anymore. Too much coffee and eyes that no longer focus close are your worst enemies.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #126,854 of 152,207
Optical fiber. As in, you break that box you make a sizeable number of people very unhappy because you just killed their internet access. Not just homes but businesses.

And talking about acupuncture, you break off a shard of that and get it embedded in your finger, you'll regret it for many weeks. I've spliced many a fiber, most polarization-maintaining, to not want to deal with them anymore. Too much coffee and eyes that no longer focus close are your worst enemies.
Safety was a big part of my training, especially when working with lasers.

Sep 21, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #126,855 of 152,207
There are specialized tools for working with such things.AB3F6F9B-7273-44CA-846E-E643A74688A2.jpegThis is for copper wire and goes down to 32 awg. Pretty much guaranteed not to lose a strand or nick solid wire.
Yep. We calibrate those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back