Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 13, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #126,361 of 155,174
I am a member of MGOC so had read about the Cyberster.
Nice looking car.
I appreciate that electric cars are probably the future (although I think Hydrogen fuel cell is a better solution) but they have absolutely no appeal for me.
The yellow MGA in the background is my idea of a ‘proper’ MG.

I went to a local gathering of classic cars last weekend.
There were some beautiful cars there, including:
A 1930s Bugatti
Aston Martin DB6
Several E-type Jags
Morgans
A Ford Thunderbird
1960s Porsche 911 Targa
Lots of Ferraris.

Probably the fastest car there was a new hybrid Ferrari- 296 GTB.

It looks fantastic but I’d rather have a ‘genuine’ classic car with a real engine and no motors!

So, to cover 2.5 Sine wave topics in one post; classic cars (specifically an MGC) and music, I’ll suggest the YouTube video lower down.

It’s a track by Scottish artists Kim Edgar and Horse MacDonald (real name Sheena, I’ve no idea why she’s known as Horse) called Save Myself (Run Away) and tells of a real life and distressing episode in Horse/Sheena’s youth.

The video is appropriately dark, and the MG chimes with the retro feel as you can see here.

The track is from Kim’s latest album “Consequences”, where all the tracks are collaborations with artists of varying stature in and outside Scotland, and all are songs with messages about the effects of our actions.

And the 0.5 topic? Well, Kim’s other project is with a German folk/rock(ish, very ish) band and she’s been with them for their last three albums as they move from traditional folk to self-written music.

They're called Cara, so lose 0.5 for the spelling.

I now live in hope that one day, maybe, I'll get to listen to Cara through Kara.

For anyone interested, Kim’s website is www.kimedgar.com, and Cara’s is www.cara-music.com

And if anyone feels like checking Kim out on Qobuz, she’s mis-filed as Edgar Kim.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #126,362 of 155,174
it does not.
Wow. If I recall correctly, my baby schiit stack (magni modi) from many moons ago, would mute sound going out to a set of active speakers I had hooked up to the preamp out on the magni. I'm guessing the magni and magnius are diff that way...

Just out of curiosity, where is the sub in your signal chain? You mentioned mono g-horns... or maybe I misunderstood the setup.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #126,363 of 155,174
It can be, this is the way I learned it.🤪

“Alpha testing is performed by testers who are usually internal employees of the organization. Beta testing is performed by clients who are not part of the organization.”

I learned that ages ago and things do change.🤪
They have, nowadays game companies release a game that should be in alpha testing, call it fully cooked, and then charge for the DLC that are the patches that bring it to what used to be the initial release.

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #126,364 of 155,174
They have, nowadays game companies release a game that should be in alpha testing, call it fully cooked, and then charge for the DLC that are the patches that bring it to what used to be the initial release.
I was not talking games or software.😁

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #126,365 of 155,174
I was not talking games or software.😁
Well, the stuff I am working with at work isn't much better and that is all hardware. One of the saying we have going around is that is a "company name standard" when we fine the only standard thing about it is that everyone department and plant does it differently, but if you ask the R&D/Best Practices group, everyone does it they way they say it should be done.

Sep 13, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #126,366 of 155,174
Well, the stuff I am working with at work isn't much better and that is all hardware. One of the saying we have going around is that is a "company name standard" when we fine the only standard thing about it is that everyone department and plant does it differently, but if you ask the R&D/Best Practices group, everyone does it they way they say it should be done.
🤪 That is nice. Anyway my original statement was about Schiit audio product that is merely speculation.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #126,367 of 155,174
Wow. If I recall correctly, my baby schiit stack (magni modi) from many moons ago, would mute sound going out to a set of active speakers I had hooked up to the preamp out on the magni. I'm guessing the magni and magnius are diff that way...

Just out of curiosity, where is the sub in your signal chain? You mentioned mono g-horns... or maybe I misunderstood the setup.
XLR out to the Gjallies balanced and rca out to the subwoofer. The preouts are always active on the magnius

Sep 13, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #126,368 of 155,174
XLR out to the Gjallies balanced and rca out to the subwoofer. The preouts are always active on the magnius
Because how do you sense when an XLR is plugged in?

A: You don't.

It's a whole different ballgame between TRS (which usually has an inbuilt switch) and XLR (which has nada). Hence the manual preout switch on the Jotunheim 2, Mjolnir 3, etc.

Bottom line: no matter what we do is wrong. Auto switch: don't want auto switch. No switch: want auto switch. Manual: why you make me switch? Why not read my mind? Hence, where budget permits, manual switch. When only TRS, auto switch. When TRS and XLR and budget is constrained, no switch.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 13, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #126,370 of 155,174
Because how do you sense when an XLR is plugged in?

A: You don't.

It's a whole different ballgame between TRS (which usually has an inbuilt switch) and XLR (which has nada). Hence the manual preout switch on the Jotunheim 2, Mjolnir 3, etc.

Bottom line: no matter what we do is wrong. Auto switch: don't want auto switch. No switch: want auto switch. Manual: why you make me switch? Why not read my mind? Hence, where budget permits, manual switch. When only TRS, auto switch. When TRS and XLR and budget is constrained, no switch.
For $69 $49 one can add a switch. It's called a Schiit SYS. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #126,371 of 155,174
For $69 one can add a switch. It's called a Schitt Sys. :wink:
Also if going to powered monitors, can add remote power switch for them.

It's in the manual.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 13, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #126,372 of 155,174
Folkvangr repair sheet says I used bad tubes, or mismatched tubes and broke it. (Sadly they didn't mention which set was the problem).

Anyone have a suggestion as to buying a tube testing machine? I would greatly appreciate, as would the repair people at Schiit. I see one on ebay , says it takes a long time to set up. Should I just grab this?
Depends on how much experience you have with tube testers. If little to none, and you're asking for opinions, mine would be no, not that one. That's actually a very good tester, but like any vintage tester from the 1950's / 1960's it will need (at bare minimum) to have the electrolytic caps replaced. Unless you can buy a vintage tester that can be verified to have been refurbished and calibrated recently, you'll have to take that on yourself. TV-2's are pretty complex, as is the calibration procedure for them. As well, there won't be any settings for a 6N6P in the tube data. These were built during the height of the cold war, and let's just say that American-made testers did not include data for Russian tubes. :laughing:

Be happy to discuss with you further via PM if you like rather than do it here.

Sep 13, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #126,373 of 155,174
Sep 13, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #126,374 of 155,174
Unless you are looking for a side hobby, you can find matched tubes for reasonable prices from reputable sellers.

Jason stated the output tubes don't have to be matched, so it could've been the input tubes. Maybe the tube gurus will chime in.
Possible too that one of the output tubes developed a short. Hard to know without knowing exactly what was wrong with the tube(s) that caused the problem.

Sep 13, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #126,375 of 155,174
Along with the dual-chassis/dual-mono Modi DAC my other suggested Schiit product is a digital preamp, taking AES/BNC/SPDIF-Coax/SPDIF-Toslink with a configurable (or fixed at 80Hz) L/R crossover (not mono crossover split to two outputs :unamused:). 4 digital outs to feed into DACs of my choice over USB or AES.

Niche, much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back