Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 17, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #123,811 of 152,020
+1 for your comment on John Peel @valiant66.

He helped many young artists to get started by giving them airplay when nobody else had even heard of them.
Some of the artists whose music was first played by Peel, include:
The Ramones
Roxy Music
The Smiths
The Fall
Rod Stewart
T Rex

This article from 'The Guardian' newspaper gives a flavour of his influence on music.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/sep/25/how-john-peel-created-our-musical-world

He also hosted the legendary 'John Peel Sessions' where bands played live.
Notable performances included Led Zeppelin in 1969!

Another DJ who I really like and who started out on Radio Caroline, is Johnnie Walker.
He still hosts a programme on BBC Radio 2 called 'Sounds of the 70s' which is brilliant.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jlwqd
His knowledge of both the music, and artists, from that decade is incredible.
T Rex BEFORE they were T Rex!!

Aug 17, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #123,812 of 152,020
MJ3 available in black only with a "Finish" drop-down menu that allows you to pick the only option...gotta love the tease, though!

Jason, have the number of MJ3 units being made been mentioned anywhere? Folkvangr was 250...assuming it'll be about the same? And would you say MJ2 or MJ3 heats up a room more? I'm at my limit here in Florida with the MJ2...but if MJ3 is about the same...
Is rail voltage the same as output voltage via xlr/rca ?

Aug 17, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #123,814 of 152,020
So yeah, you can totally have a Class A single-ended no-feedback power amp…or change it up if you need more power or lower output impedance or whatever.

On the product page there's only one output impedance listed for the balanced headphone out (< 0.25 ohms). How does using pure Class A vs push-pull Class A change the output impedance? Similarly, how does using feedback vs not using feedback change the output impedance?

Aug 17, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #123,815 of 152,020
I'm very interested in Kara but its a want not a need, so yet again another product I'd not think twice about throwing money at if not for it being only available in black when a large portion of us have thousands of dollars already invested in silver gear, a look that's been part of Schiit's identity for ages.
Syn is still black only, Gjallarhorn and Loki Max were black-only initially...
I cant help but feel like I need to sell off all my gear and rebuy in black, but that's a massive pain so instead I'll sit here with my Freya S and wait with hope.
I know the silver finish is a pain, but when its been figured for so long out across so many of Schiit's other products, its hard to not be frustrated.

edit: And I also see it's replaced the cheaper Freya S entirely now so I guess if you like silver but not tubes then oh well?

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #123,818 of 152,020
Long-time listener, first time caller - just wanted to say to Jason - thanks for being candid about this product's development for the last six month's or so. I know Schiit's usual policy is to stay tight lipped until the product is ready to ship, like the new Kara. But on a more limited run like this, where my interest was piqued the day the MJ3 was first teased, it helped make sure I had the funds ready, and was keeping an eye out for updates.

Some people out there are still scratching their heads. “Why go through all this trouble? I mean, you admit this amp is big, and hot, and inconvenient, and not the best measuring, and not the most powerful…I don’t get it.”

Because some other folks out there, like me, think this is awesome! In my formative years, I learned that the best sounding stuff was often the heaviest, the hottest, and the only measurement that mattered was "weight per watt" - the more, the better. Order placed!

Aug 17, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #123,819 of 152,020
Ordered both new products, looking forward to hearing how the Kara does with the Tyrs. And am curious how the preamp outs on the MJ3 stack up to the Kara

Aug 17, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #123,820 of 152,020
That's half of why I'm sending it to him, to test with W, but also so he can compare to his OG MJ.
I’ve tested Single Sided Tungsten V9.2 on my CMA15 and it was not powerful enough. I hope MJ3 could do it.

Aug 17, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #123,822 of 152,020
I will PM you when I get a chance.
Could you include me with this data dump? I have a board I made in junior high woodshop close to 44 years ago that is in need of some love and I'd like to keep using it.

Aug 17, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #123,823 of 152,020
I really like the first Evanesence album, I just wish it weren't so brick-wall limited/compressed.
Does anyone know if there is a better (read:more dynamic, less brick-walled) version?
If there is, I'd love to know too! It's always the way it is for me - I find a "popular" artist I really like and their recordings are so compressed it just about makes me cry when I listen to them. Evanescence, Muse, Mylène Farmer, and I'm sure there are others. I guess that's one reason I've been gravitating towards ambient electronic.

Aug 17, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #123,824 of 152,020
1692279262205.png

Is this accurate ??

Aug 17, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #123,825 of 152,020
For anyone wanting a very soft intro to Nightwish, try the second disc from their recent release HUMAN :II: NATURE
Instrumental & Orchestral
I humbly submit the following...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back