Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 16, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #123,662 of 151,304
I agree with you @Erratic Gravy.

As a child in the mid 60s, I was very fortunate to have a small transistor radio. ( My Grandparents owned a radio and TV shop).

It was a tiny device made by Pye. I think that it cost about £6 back in 1966 , so it was a fantastic present!

I listened to Radio Luxemburg and the Pirate Radio stations 'Radio Caroline' and 'Radio London'. This was before the BBC launched radio 1.

The sound quality was not great, but some of the music, which I heard for the first time back then, had a profound effect on me and was the start of my lifelong love of music.
Yep - I did much the same - the summer school hols of 76 were spent outdoors in the sunshine listening to pretty much the same stations on my 'Jones Carousel ' mono AM/FM cassette I had got for Christmas - Eagles greatest Hits and Genesis , A trick of the tail on cassette were worn out by the end of that summer

Aug 16, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #123,663 of 151,304
My guesses for this year...

1- 5 channel amp to pair with Syn
2- Tube phono preamp
3- DDC / Unison USB switcher
4- D/S multibit DAC
5- Schiit flushable Aloe Vera moist towelettes

** I would love to see a 2x channel sound processor akin to Carver's Sonic Holography.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #123,664 of 151,304

2- Tube phono preamp
4- D/S multibit DAC
5- Schiit flushable Aloe Vera moist toilettes

** I would love to see a 2x channel sound processor akin to Carver's Sonic Holography.
I think it's one of the items you listed, and it's definitely number 5. 😁

Aug 16, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #123,665 of 151,304
Thursday, August 17. Unless something really weird happens, you'll be seeing Mjolnir 3 and the Other Thing at that time. But something weird could happen. So there you go. Fingers crossed and all that.
It's finally coming and idk if I'm more excited to hear MJ3, or to read the chapter about it's development. 😂

Aug 16, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #123,666 of 151,304
I thought about what I'd want for my ideal listening room (to use for mastering). Let's just say there's a reason I use software corrected headphones...

But if I won the lottery (and I mean mega-millions not a lil' 6 figure payout), I'd dig up my backyard to start, probably 8 feet deep. The neighbors all think I'm getting a pool but things are about to get weird. You see, I'm insane so I'm putting over 2/3 of my listening room underground to minimize sound leakeage and the need for climate control. I'm not a mole person, so there will be another 5 feet above ground with windows to let in light. Just low enough that the neighbors can't complain about seeing it from their yard.

As a few of you have mentioned already, non-parallel walls, I want to put myself nearer the narrow end of the room with a slatted desk to minimize reflections, but still give me a usable work surface. I haven't put this down on paper, so let's just ballpark and say the narrow end is 10 feet wide and the wide end is 15 feet wide, and the length of the room is 20 feet - ballpark, my backyard is trashed at this point so I'm going to do the math and figure out what the room modes are in each dimension WxDxH and try to get them away from my head - which is why this room is so tall by the by, keeps my seated head height of 4 feet off the 1/3 or 1/2 mark between floor and ceiling. Oh and to make things more difficult for the architect we're going to go ahead and slope the ceiling too, starting from the full 13 feet at front and coming down to 9 feet at the back. I want that extra foot because as you'll see in a moment we're going to lose a lot of volume to acoustic treatment. Also I'm tall and I don't want to feel claustrophobic in here.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE. Now we get to furnish this wonderful acoustic hellscape. You see, acoustics is easy (and by easy I mean "solvable by those without a doctorate in acoustics") if you follow one of two rules:

1. Have a space large enough to cancel out most of the smaller reflections and just worry about the overall shape and proportions of the space (which is fine for stadiums and such, but doesn't help us now) OR

2. Use a square/rectangular room - you can more or less calculate the room modes in each dimension and estimate where they're going to be, and then tune your acoustic treatment accordingly. But I just built a room out of triangles so that idea has gone out the elevated ground-level custom windows (which are awesome and totally worth it by the way).

No matter, we're going to be throwing a solid 5 figures of acoustic treatment at this problem, 8 inch panels mounted as far again off the walls and ceiling, slightly angled towards the listening position just to make things harder for the god-forsaken construction crew stupid enough to work for the architect who was desperate enough to work for me. The panels on the walls run floor to ceiling in 4 separate 4 foot stripes with equal gaps between them front to rear. And of course we take a hole saw to these frames to maximize the absorbing surface area even on the sides of the panels - plus corner treatment where the walls and ceiling meet and my windows stop. Similar treatment for the ceiling though let's just do 3 4 foot stripes hanging level, and we're going to mount mirrors on the sides of these panels at an angle so they can reflect the outside light from my windows down into my workspace. The front wall is fully treated up to the windows, by the time you have enough acoustic mass that close to the speakers to absorb full range sound, it takes up a lot of space. I'm assuming that wall is just gone and my speakers and computer monitor all have to be freestanding, and I have to make cables look neat and tidy outside of the walls. The back wall is more interesting, as this is where we have not one, not two, but three doors. One on each side of the rear for a machine room on one side, storage on the other, and the actual entrance in the rear center from an outside stairwell leading to ground level. Treatment for the backwall is going to be tuned membrane traps at the same height as the speakers, tuned to the resonance that goes with the length of the room, and the first harmonic above that. I'd also have some furniture back here, maybe my keyboards if I have any left after the inevitable divorce this whole project has caused. That should diffuse and soften reflections from the rear wall nicely, though realistically (as if anything about this scenario was realistic) there's going to be some trial and error to get such a weird room in good listening shape.

Have you ever seen pictures of Bob Katz's mastering room? It looks like a normal living room, carpet and all. From what I've read, that's intentional, in order to replicate how his mastering will translate to a normal environment. :grinning:

442964=14549-upload_2016-11-2_19-4-27.jpeg

Aug 16, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #123,667 of 151,304
I received a bunch of those tobacco tins when I was building Schiit Coaster amps since they can use a round container. The can now contains a special wax I make myself for cutting boards and the like. It is food grade and quite safe for such applications.

Please tell me that ears aren't involved in the making of your "special wax"...? 🥵

Aug 16, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #123,668 of 151,304

2- Tube phono preamp
4- D/S multibit DAC
5- Schiit flushable Aloe Vera moist toilettes

I'm all for #'s 2 and 5

Aug 16, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #123,669 of 151,304
My money is on Valhalla 3, Modi d/s iteration, 5 channel SYNCompanion amp, Rag with tubes, and - as you say - Gumby replacement.
Valhalla 3 would be good, however, My friend is waiting long for the MJ3 together with my consolidate order of Valhalla 2, if "3" came out, I wish I can get a close out unit of Valhalla 2 at the MJ3 launch......

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #123,670 of 151,304
Or, even if there is a Valhalla 3 coming, is only a chassis update?

Aug 16, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #123,671 of 151,304
Or, even if there is a Valhalla 3 coming, is only a chassis update?
IIRC Jason mentioned that Schiit way over-purchased the transformers used in the Valhalla 2, so I'd think they'd want to burn through those prior to a Valhalla 3 being announced.

Vali 3 on the other hand ... :wink:

Aug 16, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #123,672 of 151,304
Please tell me that ears aren't involved in the making of your "special wax"...? 🥵
Well I could tell you that, but since it is not what you want to hear, the only wax involved comes from bees. :ksc75smile: I do add other ingredients of course so I end up with a paste wax.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #123,673 of 151,304
Aug 16, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #123,674 of 151,304
This was my front yard this week. It's hot, but beer fixes that, mostly.

Wow - that looks inviting -

Went past this on my way to work this morning - picture taken this morning but not by me !! - the River and bridge looked fab as I went past
ST IVES BRIDGE.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back