Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 27, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #122,416 of 151,776
Jul 27, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #122,417 of 151,776
Come to Texas for the BBQ, stay for the, uh, searing heat?
I have a team here from our site in Austin and even though the thermometer says it is hotter, they tell me it feels much cooler here...

Jul 27, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #122,419 of 151,776
I wonder what the operating temp delta is for Mjolnir 3 with black (steel) vs silver (aluminum) tops?

All tops are aluminum. A 1/8" thick steel top of that size would be insanely heavy.

I have a team here from our site in Austin and even though the thermometer says it is hotter, they tell me it feels much cooler here...
In CA at the moment, not so great here either. Here's a couple days ago on the drive home. In F of course, or else I'd have different problems. Like dying.

IMG_3712.jpg

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 27, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #122,422 of 151,776
For even more fun, here's the manual. No not proofed. That's tomorrow.
Will output muting work like with Jotunheim, meaning that if Mjolnir 3 is running and loses power externally or is set to on and then gets power (power outage, cable removed/inserted, switch on power strip used, smart plug toggled, ...) it won't mute the output and protect the headphones?

Is one of the two gain settings technically less neutral in terms of involving additional circuitry over the other (say, an extra resistor in low gain or extra amplification in high gain)? I always wonder this when multiple gain settings would work, I'd want to use the "purest" one.

Jul 27, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #122,424 of 151,776
Jul 27, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #122,427 of 151,776
All tops are aluminum. A 1/8" thick steel top of that size would be insanely heavy.

In CA at the moment, not so great here either. Here's a couple days ago on the drive home. In F of course, or else I'd have different problems. Like dying.

IMG_3712.jpg
A touch screen without finger smudges.
Don't know what "in F" means.
Nice glasses though.

Jul 27, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #122,428 of 151,776
Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #122,429 of 151,776
Of course I’m going to need to know more about this mysterious $$ usb cable.
I thought you'd never ask! <g>

Part of it was "free" and part was $29... the free part was a 2M USB-A male to USB-B male cable that came with my Canon photo printer. The $29 part is my AQ DragonTail adaptor - USB-C male to USB-A female.

Here's the weird part, and it makes little sense. The expensive cable that I bought? When it was in-circuit between Urd and Yggy, and the "weird metallic buzzing" thing wasn't happening, the system sounded brighter than it does with the (current) 'improvised' cable. No, really. "How could that be?", you may ask. It's a digital cable. It should simply be passing (the analog voltage swings that approximate*) a digital signal. It should have no effect on system frequency balance, or overall tonality. Right?

I dunno, you tell me. :) I want the sparkle back, so I will check out DH Labs for a new Urd-to-Yggy cable, because they have always done me right to date, in price, quality and performance.

/d

* there was once a marvelous article (from the late '90s) on Stereophile Magazine's website entitled "There is no such thing as digital", where a couple of audio engineers were discussing the way that 1s and 0s were transmitted between devices. Save for optical Toslink, if there is a copper / silver / etc wire involved in carrying said signal, it's an analog representation of a digital signal. FWIW.

Jul 27, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #122,430 of 151,776
I didn’t have any interest in MJ3 until reading the manual. I’m more curious how much all of this cool (hot) tech would transfer into the preamp outputs. I’ve been reconsidering checking out Jotunheim lately as a spare balanced preamp. That with a second Gjallerhorn would make for a nice compact system. ( I don’t NEED any of it but I want it!)
My OG Jotunheim is a spectacular balanced preamp, driving two mono Aegirs in my office... of course, this last week the Aegirs were powered down, because HEAT.

Oh, it's also a great balanced headphone amp, too. <g>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back