Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 22, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #122,146 of 155,122
Today I finally got around to having a play with the new toy, Vali 2++. Ultimately it’s going to be used in a different system, but for now I’m trying it using iFi ZEN Stream and ZEN Dac Signature, and I’m impressed. It’s very easy to listen to the music rather the sound. I plan to use it with Modi MB, Loki, a CD player, Wiim Pro, and a spare turntable, and I reckon it’ll work well with them.
IMG_1038.jpeg
I have the 2 and the 2++, love them both. They do punch way above their weight, don’t they? Enjoy!

Jul 22, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #122,147 of 155,122

Is the video and youtuber a good one or bad one? Viewers to decide.

But the Vidar 2 is good. I got it on Feb 14 this year, running it almost everyday with smile on every family member's face.

Did you originally own the Vidar 1?

Jul 22, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #122,148 of 155,122
And now for something completely different...

A fine member of this establishment (@Rensek, who has more gear laying around than anyone has a right to.) sent me a couple of GHorns to try as mono-blocks with my Tekton Lore Reference speakers. I must say that fed by my Freya N and BF2/64, they are REALLY, REALLY, TREMENDOUSLY GOOD!! I'll be doing more extensive listening, but if anyone with high sensitivity 8 ohm speakers and a smallish listening space is sitting on the fence as to whether a couple of GHorns will do the trick. Let me tell you -- IT WILL!!! :D

** Even one Rekkr was not too shabby. Two? Who knows.
One sounds grear with my ML (non-electrostat Motions), so a single GJ should be dandy, two might be overkill, but they’d be the best-sounding overkill ever!

Jul 22, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #122,149 of 155,122
Doesn't the tuning kit come in the package? My A2Cs came with it. I haven't heard the Noir model but it sure is hard to beat the Aeon 2 design for comfort.
Tuning kit comes with all DCA, I think. I’ve gotten it with all of mine. They indicated that the Noir was ‘tuned’ differently. Gosh only knows what that means. But Lokius is my best friend with mine!

Jul 22, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #122,150 of 155,122
I’m in a good place today. Stack’s getting rather tall, but complaints I have none.

First disc: Hiroshima - East
Second: Larkin Poe - Self-Made Man

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 22, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #122,151 of 155,122
Tuning kit comes with all DCA, I think. I’ve gotten it with all of mine. They indicated that the Noir was ‘tuned’ differently. Gosh only knows what that means. But Lokius is my best friend with mine!
I don’t recall a kit being on the Stealth or Expanse, tbh. But I will say the Noire with the white felt pads out of a Jot is a good endgame for the price.

Jul 22, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #122,152 of 155,122
Listening to FLAC 192kHz 24 bit with this pipeline:

1 - MacBook Pro running Audirvana in exclusive mode

2 - USB-c out connected to Urd USB-1

3 - Urd USB-c out to MMB2 Unison USB-c in.

Sounds very good. Not necessarily better than some of the best redbook CDs I have played through Urd.

IMG_8649.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #122,153 of 155,122
Listening to FLAC 192kHz 24 bit with this pipeline:

1 - MacBook Pro running Audirvana in exclusive mode

2 - USB-c out connected to Urd USB-1

3 - Urd USB-c out to MMB2 Unison USB-c in.

Sounds very good. Not necessarily better than some of the best redbook CDs I have played through Urd.
Switching inputs between CD and usb to compare is fun - just make sure you’re not picking up a new remaster vs an old cd :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #122,154 of 155,122
Question for @Jason Stoddard or someone in this forum knowledgeable about it:

On the playback side Schiit did a great job with Unison, re-clocking the input data stream, correcting network streams and cd playback data streams. Is there a jitter problem on the recording/mastering stage? Is that jitter negligible/inaudible? Depending on the statistics of that jitter, if offensive, it may or may not be correctable.

Comments appreciated!

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #122,155 of 155,122
Jul 23, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #122,156 of 155,122
@Ripper2860 Thanks, I hope you enjoy the extended loan and the WAF improves...

@Paladin79 you ought to thank @Ripper2860 for the way way way way overdue delivery of whiskey. He has been politely and consistently pestering me for months about impressions and than delivery (on my offer) of the Ghorns... I couldn't send him the Ghorns without first sending you the booze....

My ZMF Auteur Classics arrive Monday, so now that @Paladin79 has sampled at least one bottle of hooch, I think I can blow off the Melz that've been collecting dust the past 1+ yr and see what the fuss is all about... Yggy OG with an Incubus + Melz and GE power tube should be a beautiful pairing with any HP.

@Ripper2860 yeah I likely have too much gear...but.........well..................

Ok, yeah I have too much gear. No apologies. No one is deprived of anything by my hobby. Family first, family second and all that.

On the other hand...Holy crap. I just did the math.....

I've been spending about 6 bucks a day on audio since Nov 2017.... part of me says that seems like alot.....But I guess I don't smoke, don't buy starbucks/dunkin/caribou, don't buy stuff at convenience stores, eat out about once every 2 weeks, and I just pay a yearly fee for streaming, no cd/download/new vinyl purchases...

Hobby, or addiction?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #122,158 of 155,122
@Ripper2860 Thanks, I hope you enjoy the extended loan and the WAF improves...

@Paladin79 you ought to thank @Ripper2860 for the way way way way overdue delivery of whiskey. He has been politely and consistently pestering me for months about impressions and than delivery (on my offer) of the Ghorns... I couldn't send him the Ghorns without first sending you the booze....

My ZMF Auteur Classics arrive Monday, so now that @Paladin79 has sampled at least one bottle of hooch, I think I can blow off the Melz that've been collecting dust the past 1+ yr and see what the fuss is all about... Yggy OG with an Incubus + Melz and GE power tube should be a beautiful pairing with any HP.

@Ripper2860 yeah I likely have too much gear...but.........well..................

Ok, yeah I have too much gear. No apologies. No one is deprived of anything by my hobby. Family first, family second and all that.

On the other hand...Holy crap. I just did the math.....

I've been spending about 6 bucks a day on audio since Nov 2017.... part of me says that seems like alot.....But I guess I don't smoke, don't buy starbucks/dunkin/caribou, don't buy stuff at convenience stores, eat out about once every 2 weeks, and I just pay a yearly fee for streaming, no cd/download/new vinyl purchases...

Hobby, or addiction?***
*** habbit 🤣

Jul 23, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #122,159 of 155,122
Due to other (highly overrated) obligations, such as food and rent, I won't be able to afford an Urd the coming months, but that hasn't stopped me from dreaming about it..
A couple of years ago I ripped my 1000+ CD's to FLAC, mostly because it's convenient, but I kept them around just in case..
So for me the biggest question is: How much, if any, difference is there between a ripped FLAC-file from my PC compared to the CD playing in an Urd. ?
Has anyone compared this?
My PC plays via USB to my Bifrost 2/64 > Lyr3+ > Quad ERA1..

Also, would a Magnius be adequate as a preamp to drive mono Gjallerhorns? Or would a Jotunheim or Freya S be preferable. I know I could drive a Vidar2 with my Lyr3+, but I really like the idea of monoblocks, and they requiere XLR.. For now I'm using an old pair of KEF Q1's with a Quad 306 amp in a smallish room. Oh, and the neighbors don't let me play loud.

In advance, thanks for sharing..

Jul 23, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #122,160 of 155,122
Due to other (highly overrated) obligations, such as food and rent, I won't be able to afford an Urd the coming months, but that hasn't stopped me from dreaming about it..
A couple of years ago I ripped my 1000+ CD's to FLAC, mostly because it's convenient, but I kept them around just in case..
So for me the biggest question is: How much, if any, difference is there between a ripped FLAC-file from my PC compared to the CD playing in an Urd. ?
Has anyone compared this?
My PC plays via USB to my Bifrost 2/64 > Lyr3+ > Quad ERA1..

Also, would a Magnius be adequate as a preamp to drive mono Gjallerhorns? Or would a Jotunheim or Freya S be preferable. I know I could drive a Vidar2 with my Lyr3+, but I really like the idea of monoblocks, and they requiere XLR.. For now I'm using an old pair of KEF Q1's with a Quad 306 amp in a smallish room. Oh, and the neighbors don't let me play loud.

In advance, thanks for sharing..
I’m not sure that I can offer a comprehensive answer to your question @strider1007, but this is my experience.
Over the course of many years, I have ripped all my CDs (to ALAC) and continue to do so as I add more CDs to my collection.
I have about 1,250 CDs ripped to a networked hard drive, with several back ups.

When Schiit first announced their intention to develop a CDT, I was very keen to buy one, and even added the Unison USB upgrade board to my Yggy A2 in readiness.

That was several years ago.

Unfortunately, after several years, I became impatient waiting for the new Schiit CD Transport and bought a Jay’s Audio CDT2-Mk3.

I love it!

In answer to your question, personally I prefer the sound of physical CDs played on this transport, to lossless, ripped copies of identical CDs.

The differences are subtle, but for the ‘best’ sound quality, I forego the convenience of ‘streaming’ from my hard drive and get off my sofa to play CDs.

I do not have an ‘Urd’ so I cannot comment on how this stacks up, using its Unison USB (or any other) output.

I would never throw out my CDs and continue to buy, both new and used, as I like owning physical copies of favourite recordings, and believe that CDs are an absolute bargain!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back