Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 15, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #121,472 of 155,067
I started in car audio over 3 decades ago now, after not doing anything in my cars since the early 2000's I did my car and truck this last year. It's definitely WAAAAAAY more difficult now!
I was thinking that this week..

Any new car would not be worth it to put a system in... Stuck with "not good" OEM garbage that stops after 3 years.

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #121,474 of 155,067
I'm givin' you comedy gold here! 😉
I know. i went over there and read their thread, really a hateful bunch tho there was a couple of Schiit supporters. It’s really an awful forum. mostly they are just broke and can’t afford anything but the cheapest gear. Grading gear based on SINAD is just preposterous. And they have a serious lack of humor.

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #121,475 of 155,067
I was thinking that this week..

Any new car would not be worth it to put a system in... Stuck with "not good" OEM garbage that stops after 3 years.
After doing the research on how to integrate aftermarket components, it was VERY worth the upgrade, and I'm quite happy with how they ended up. Both of them look factory still because they still use the factory GPS infotainment systems. I did the car (2021) first and since I work from home spread it out over a couple months since I was designing custom parts and 3D printing them and had to figure out how to interface with the factory stereo and amp (which I completely removed/replaced), without having to cut the factory harnesses and running all the wiring etc...

The truck (2016) is a very simple system and only took about a week in my spare time. All I upgraded was the 2 door speakers and the a pillar tweeters and added a small DSP/ 4 channel AMP combo that mounts behind the factory stereo (factory GPS unit) and I'm blown away with how it turned out! Since I didn't have room for a sub I custom designed and 3D printed my own speaker baffles that allowed me to convert the door drivers to 8" units which put out an amazing amount of bass.

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #121,476 of 155,067
At the end of the line? Not really. And NO to programmable audio gear.

And there's nothing wrong for Schiit Audio to continue to fabricate its products unaltered for a very long time... If it's good today and no reason to change for epsilon improvements keep doing the same.
See? We think alike indeed.
A happy family we are.

Jul 15, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #121,477 of 155,067
Jul 15, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #121,478 of 155,067
We should be shipping a lot more Urds on Monday. Not all the orders, but hopefully we'll be caught up by the end of next week.

urds 2.jpg

urds 1.jpg
WOW !!! ... what a (worthwhile) nightmare !!

Jul 15, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #121,479 of 155,067
Jul 15, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #121,480 of 155,067
Jul 15, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #121,481 of 155,067
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Jane.........Jefferson Starship
How they fell from the heights of this song/album to "We Built This City" as Starship. I think Paul Kantner had left before that dreck was recorded and released.

Jul 15, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #121,483 of 155,067
As would I. Love that album. I would almost get a Syn just to experience that if nothing else.
The first time I listened to that album... via CD... yes, using my Schiit rig... it blew me away. With the right amount of headphone isolation, The Trinity Sessions (original, not remake) is a fantastic concept(?) album. Righteous Toronto sound, no? :flag_ca: :)

Edit -- I've been away from the thread for a bit (finishing off my career as a high school science teacher). Has anyone asked about a URD creation that has multiple USB inputs (like a fully digital pre-amp... [a Saga-Urd....?}).

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #121,484 of 155,067
FamilySearch follows a one-tree structure in principle as well, but there will sometimes be duplicate person records. Which are pretty easy to dedupe, though. And the environment is usually intelligent about suggesting when you should do that.

Ancestry might connect to a few more information archives, but the user base at FS is more focused on genealogical accuracy...which you'll understand given who supports the site.

And it's free.

I'm active on several genealogical sites, including the ones mentioned here. They vary in capabilities and UX, and there isn't one out there that's perfect. In fact, each and every one of them has its own pretty serious flaws. But far better than nothing.
Agree on the UX and flaws comment.

I use FS too, but into FTM - that is, I use the records to build the tree then sync those updates to Ancestry. At least in theory.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #121,485 of 155,067
How they fell from the heights of this song/album to "We Built This City" as Starship. I think Paul Kantner had left before that dreck was recorded and released.
I was introduced to Starship... and WBTC when I was in high school (1988-89). It took me about a decade to discover their original work. Not the same. Nope. Good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back