Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 14, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #121,456 of 155,065
I know the main interest is in how the Urd sounds, but I'd also be interested in hearing comments about the user experience of the Urd: how responsive is it to button presses when switching tracks, for example. In the past, when CD players roamed the earth, there seemed to be two schools of CD player UX: the Sony way and the Philips way. The Sony way was very immediate and fast, so it made it fast to navigate a CD. The Philips way was a little less direct and could feel laggy, perhaps because sometimes when you entered a command too fast, it waited for you to stop pressing buttons. Anyway, I'd like to hear owners' comments on the Urd's UX, especially if you've had a CD player in the past before.

I was glad to see that Schiit does specify gapless playback on the Urd's spec page!

I'm also curious about the angle of acceptance of the remote signal: on the Freya S, it's pretty narrow, so I have to be pretty intentional about aiming the remote when I use it. I wonder if the Urd has improved this.

Why do I care about this? Classical music works are often broken into many tracks, and there are often two or three musical works on a CD, so you need to advance past one piece to hear another one. For example, the Firebird starts on track 14 of this CD, so on the Urd, I'd have to press next 14 times to hear it: https://www.amazon.com/Stravinsky-S...ravinsky+Rite+of+Spring&qid=1689384886&sr=8-3 And if the angle of IR acceptance is narrow, then I have to maintain my aim for 14 presses as well.

I see that Streamunlimited/SUOS-Hifi seem to come from the Philips group, and I wonder if they've carried on their particular ideas about UX with them.

Jul 14, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #121,457 of 155,065
I know the main interest is in how the Urd sounds, but I'd also be interested in hearing comments about the user experience of the Urd: how responsive is it to button presses when switching tracks, for example. In the past, when CD players roamed the earth, there seemed to be two schools of CD player UX: the Sony way and the Philips way. The Sony way was very immediate and fast, so it made it fast to navigate a CD. The Philips way was a little less direct and could feel laggy, perhaps because sometimes when you entered a command too fast, it waited for you to stop pressing buttons. Anyway, I'd like to hear owners' comments on the Urd's UX, especially if you've had a CD player in the past before.

I was glad to see that Schiit does specify gapless playback on the Urd's spec page!

I'm also curious about the angle of acceptance of the remote signal: on the Freya S, it's pretty narrow, so I have to be pretty intentional about aiming the remote when I use it. I wonder if the Urd has improved this.

Why do I care about this? Classical music works are often broken into many tracks, and there are often two or three musical works on a CD, so you need to advance past one piece to hear another one. For example, the Firebird starts on track 14 of this CD, so on the Urd, I'd have to press next 14 times to hear it: https://www.amazon.com/Stravinsky-S...ravinsky+Rite+of+Spring&qid=1689384886&sr=8-3 And if the angle of IR acceptance is narrow, then I have to maintain my aim for 14 presses as well.

I see that Streamunlimited/SUOS-Hifi seem to come from the Philips group, and I wonder if they've carried on their particular ideas about UX with them.
I will share my impressions once it is delivered. I agree that UI is very important to a device. With streamers it’s a non-starter if the device is laggy or drops streams (ahem… 2go). To me UI of a CD players isn’t as big of a deal bc I’ll likely be listening to entire albums whereas with streaming I can’t help but jump around. That said I’ll be happy to pass along what I experience.

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #121,459 of 155,065
Schiit N Music
Friday Night

Listening and comparing.

A new Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro Black Edition arrived this week. Pro = 250 ohm.
Listened some on and off and let them play on and off for several days/nights.

ALAC fron iPod -> iCon iDo -> coax -> Modi Multibit 2 -> split to
1) Magni 3+
2) Magni Piety
3) Vali 2+ - adapted to 6N8S (6H8C) (6SN7) Novosibirsk - Bottom Flying Saucer Getter - Grey T Aligned 2 Hole Plates

I find that any of the amps are spot on with these phones. Flavors all enjoyable.

This evening (Blues on shuffle) in my mood with my ears I am favoring the Piety.
I will go so far as to say that this combo is an entertaining and enjoyable listen.

I generally have Beyerdynamic DT 880 Manufaktur 600 ohm phones connected to this kit.
After the Piety was added to the kit I remained true and prefer the 600 ohm DT 880 with the adapted Vail.

The DT 880 Pro will be moving to other alternatives.

Mike, Jason and everyone. Congratulations on the Urd!!!!
On my to do list.

Enjoy the Schiit N Music

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #121,460 of 155,065
On the YT session @Jason Stoddard said that in the 1st hour sold more than someone had predicted would sell in a month. And that was 100+.
That's good news. I want an Urd, but there's a couple of other things with higher prioriy in my acquisition queue, and I try to protect domestic tranquility by sticking to a budget. Folkvangr was a buster, because I knew that it was Buy Now or Forever Regret It. (And I did buy it, and I don't regret any penny of it.) But sounds like the expectation is that Urd will be a perm product ... and I thank you guys for giving it a rocket launch, so I can get mine somewhere down the road without suffering unduly from Ripper's Disease. (FOMO.)

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #121,461 of 155,065
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Heartbreaker..... Pat Benatar

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #121,462 of 155,065
That's good news. I want an Urd, but there's a couple of other things with higher prioriy in my acquisition queue, and I try to protect domestic tranquility by sticking to a budget. Folkvangr was a buster, because I knew that it was Buy Now or Forever Regret It. (And I did buy it, and I don't regret any penny of it.) But sounds like the expectation is that Urd will be a perm product ... and I thank you guys for giving it a rocket launch, so I can get mine somewhere down the road without suffering unduly from Ripper's Disease. (FOMO.)
I was actually asked this question by John Darko today--is Urd an ongoing product, given that I've said "everything is a Thunderdome" now?

The answer is: yes, it's intended for ongoing production, but, as with most products these days, with caveats. The main caveat being that we probably will have out-of-stock times between runs. As in, I don't think we can schedule this, with a predictable number produced every quarter. We wait till they sell down to a low number, and then pull the trigger on the next run. The next run of Urd has already been approved.

So how about Mjolnir 3? I'm doubtful that will end up being a permanent product, because it's quite big, hot, special-purpose, and may get tiring to live with quickly due to that. The plan is for one run.

With respect to other products and Thunderdomes and what we're going to do there, it looks like most everything will be running like Urd in the foreseeable future, with the exception of a handful of core products. Remember at the end of the year when I said you'd see some spotty out-of-stock situations? That's why. It's the best way to manage a relatively large line, and it keeps us from getting too far out over our skis.

We have one remaining supply chain problem with TI DACs for Bifrost and Yggdrasil, but we're managing that, ish. So far, so not too bad.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 15, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #121,464 of 155,065
I humbly disagree. My computer most certainly is a CD transport. It happens to be other things as well, so you could play semantics and indicate it is not a "dedicated" transport. Still, Schiit's claim is a play on words and is not valid, given the explanation you provided.
Ummmm...Are you currently wearing a condom on your head? Consider it as not so much a fashion statement but rather as an ego accessory because if you are going to type like a dick then you should dress like one. Now then, if you do not like the URD that really is not a problem. It was not designed with me in mind as I prefer a different look and am saving up for a Marantz CD60 in silver. I like its looks over not just the URD but pretty much all other CD Players/Transports out there (I am shallow that way) and I think it will play my CDs just as well. It is going to take some time to save for it too but that is often true of all things we desire and work for.

Others here choose the URD and I say good for them. So what have you chosen? Oh yeah...To be a dick. Your condom cap must surely have a "reservoir tip" because you keep coming back here with the OCD over and over about the URD.

And if I get banned for this, BFD. :beerchug:
Say g'nite ORT...G'nite ORT!

ORT the Ribald

Jul 15, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #121,465 of 155,065
urd hurd!!!
7sn16p.jpg

Jul 15, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #121,468 of 155,065
Well....... Ancestry is good for research (but offers some connections a little too glibly, check carefully). I liked Gramps as a desktop that can also run in the cloud for family to browse upon, but ultimately went with Family Tree Maker (FTM) because of its ability to sync to Ancestry.

However, sync has been broken for a long time and recently f'd up my trees on both ancestry and the desktop. And here we are in the third millennium and a major, hedge backed organization can't get a simple sync working........

In the longer term, I am moving stuff over to Wikitree.org - in my view it has a better model: there is only one tree, rather than Ancestry et al, which (in order to make more money from us suckers) makes me recreate the entire tree that my brother already created.

Cheers
FamilySearch follows a one-tree structure in principle as well, but there will sometimes be duplicate person records. Which are pretty easy to dedupe, though. And the environment is usually intelligent about suggesting when you should do that.

Ancestry might connect to a few more information archives, but the user base at FS is more focused on genealogical accuracy...which you'll understand given who supports the site.

And it's free.

I'm active on several genealogical sites, including the ones mentioned here. They vary in capabilities and UX, and there isn't one out there that's perfect. In fact, each and every one of them has its own pretty serious flaws. But far better than nothing.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #121,469 of 155,065
Just watched the live stream. Fighting the urge to purchase the URD... I think I'm going to wait to buy for the round two of production that Jason eluded to. Glad he's locking this into the product lineup.

A schiit (shart?) speakers sounds interesting. If offering "something different" is the criteria for getting in a new audio arena I wonder what it'd be. Custom US drivers in some sort of a panel/open baffle would be cool.

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #121,470 of 155,065

Users who are viewing this thread

Back