Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 6, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #120,961 of 155,086
I'm holding out on a Cary/ AES Super Amp that @bcowen is kindly looking to service and sell me. If he can get it running, that is my goal. 15w x2 Class A EL34-based tube goodness. Hopefully I can stand the heat of a tube class A amp in my small room but given that I've managed to survive Texas summers with a Freya N driving a Rag v1, I cannot imagine that getting too much hotter. :grinning:

In the meantime, a HF buddy is sending me a couple of GHorns to play with as monoblocks. Fun, fun!! :smirk:

** If the AES amp doesn't work out and the monoblock GHorns don't float my boat, AEGIR is on the short-list.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #120,962 of 155,086
ASC TubeTraps...

I got an email last week from ASC, stating that they had a bunch of TubeTraps that were lightly used at AXPONA, and they were on sale... yeah. So I bought a pair of show demo TubeTrap Isothermals, 16x3. They arrived today, and I plopped them in the front corners of the room, behind my main speakers and the subs.

Wow. I know that room treatments are important, but can it really be this simple? Midbass congestion is gone, and the nearly overwhelming "boom" in the room corners is completely eradicated. Imagine polarized RayBans, but for bass frequencies...

More to come, but holy smokes - highly recommended. Anybody else use them? /d
I had a pair of the tall tower traps in a previous listening room. Try as I might with every speaker placement possible I had an over abundance of absolute mud in the bass frequencies. The speakers at the time were -3dB at 26 Hz so capable of some deep bass, but it wasn’t defined at all and a boomy mess. I knew it wasn’t the speakers as I’d heard them sound glorious at CES several months earlier. Got in touch with ASC, and they immediately identified a big part of the problem being the room dimensions: 25’6” x 17’6” with an 8’ flat ceiling. 17’6” + 8’ equals, yes, exactly the length dimension resulting in ugly standing waves and other stuff that was way above my pay grade in understanding. They recommended the pair of tower traps to start. Not cheap, but I went for it and all I could say once they arrived was WOW! Instantly cleaned up the bass to a level that honestly astonished me. I had never been a big believer in room treatments to that point, or maybe I should say I never believed treatments could have THAT much of an effect. I was converted instantly. If those traps had cost 10x what they did, it still would have been worth it.

Jul 6, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #120,963 of 155,086
I'm holding out on a Cary/ AES Super Amp that @bcowen is kindly looking to service and sell me. If he can get it running, that is my goal. 15w x2 Class A EL34-based tube goodness. Hopefully I can stand the heat, but given that I've managed to survive Texas summers with a Freya N driving a Rag v1, I cannot imagine that getting too much hotter. :grinning:

In the meantime, a HF buddy is sending me a couple of GHorns to play with as monoblocks. Fun, fun!! :smirk:

** If the AES amp doesn't work out and the monoblock GHorns don't float my boat, AEGIR is on the short-list.
@bcowen has kept you waiting on that way too long. He’s a real jerk.

I’ll yell at him and try to get him off his butt long enough to get it done. :sweat:

Jul 6, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #120,964 of 155,086
No worries. You've got a lot going on with the new house after the move and the new job...

so next week is fine. :grinning:

** Seriously. Whenever you can find the time. It's not like I don't have a way to listen to my music.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #120,965 of 155,086
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

It's A Long Way To The Top ( If You Want To Rock And Roll )........AC/DC

Jul 6, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #120,966 of 155,086
Jul 7, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #120,968 of 155,086
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

It's A Long Way To The Top ( If You Want To Rock And Roll )........AC/DC
Triple like
One of my favourite songs to sing at a gig!

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #120,969 of 155,086
Seattle can be a day trip from Vancouver, BC -- Oregon would be an overnighter...
I can be in Vancouver BC or Portland OR in 3 hours each way depending on when I leave North Seattle area. We bought a Salamander audio cabinet in Portland. Left at 6:30 in the morning and was back home at 2pm with a half hour load/transaction time and a 1 hour stop for lunch at McMenamin’s in Centralia…

Waiting for URD next week. Credit card and keyboard are ready! Cheers, Steve

Jul 7, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #120,970 of 155,086
Enjoying a Blu Ray concert last night 24bit 48khz soundtrack - via Bifrost Multi (gen 3) and Saga , plus Active Meridian's and REL sub ,
thumbnail_IMG_0945.jpg

Jul 7, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #120,972 of 155,086
I forgot to mention my Turntable is an 80's vintage Ariston RD11 customized with some Linn internal parts by my brother years ago

Excuse the dust, Thomas decided to walk on it.

ariston rb11.jpg
They were an excellent deck - we used to fit used Linn Valhalla boards ( upgrade board for motor power supply, we had plenty of them when Linn introduced its successor the name of which eludes me ! ) to these and Acoustic Research decks for a substantial improvement in performance

Jul 7, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #120,973 of 155,086
Picked up a few LPs this past weekend. Blacked-out prices so folks won't think I'm filthy rich. Thankfully it was 20% off on new records for 4th of July and 1/2 was paid via a Father's Day gift card from one of my daughters.

New LP prices are not CHEAP! :D

image29281.jpg
I try not to be that old guy who says "Damn, this vinyl is getting expensive.", but then I perused Better Records site. Mind blown. Now I don't feel so bad about the $50 I just spent on the limited 5k issue of The Cars. Still creeping around used bins as well.

Jul 7, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #120,975 of 155,086

Users who are viewing this thread

Back