Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 14, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #119,986 of 154,074
Jun 14, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #119,987 of 154,074
Interesting. I mean I just got two brand new hart audio xlr adapters and both retain the same issue that the original from a few years ago had. I don't want to bother them until I get an adapter that doesn't have the issue, but thanks for letting me know of this. It seems I wasn't alone. I''ll live with my non-Hart adapters. I have a 4.4mm hart cable, and a 4.4mm to XLR adapter from... something on Amazon which has worked well on the Jot. So it's no big. Just doesn't look as pretty as the hart cable going straight into the Jot. Ah well.
I’m using an older ddHiFi adapter without any issues to go from 4.4mm to 4-pin XLR.

Jun 14, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #119,989 of 154,074
Thanks for another interesting Chapter @Jason Stoddard!

Ohhh wow, I actually made it for 8000 unlike 7000!

Missed by that much.gif

Jun 14, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #119,990 of 154,074
@Jason Stoddard Are you guys considering 4.4.mm connections in the future?

I merely ask because my Jot 2 works well, but for some reason whatever hartaudiocables uses for their XLR plug, causing channel imbalances if I wiggle it a little bit on the Jot connection. And this has been with 3 separate 4 pin xlr plugs. But other cables have been fine, so I don't think it's a defect on either side, but some tolerance in the 'wiggle room' so to speak.

I feel the 4.4mm input would be easier on both the cable and the source.

I love my Jot regardless, but had that minor annoyance with a specific set of cables, so had to use a 4.4mm to other brand adapter to XLR to work. I'd happily buy a 4.4mm input Jot 2.

4.4mm, no thanks. Proprietary and inferior to XLR and unnecessary on a desktop product, at least IMO.

If there's a problem with an actual, authentic, 4-pin Neutrik XLR (like what we use), I'm sure Neutrik, makers of what are arguably the best XLR connectors in the world, would like to hear about it. That said, anything's possible, so let us know if you'd like us to look at your Jotunheim.

Much of the problem is that the only official connectors are from Pentaconn. They only have a very limited range. The device sockets are limited to one for portable devices, and one chassis mount that will only work with very thin metal. I've told them, in person, that the latter isn't enough and they need something full size.

But the biggest issue is this: Pentaconn sockets cost a lot! That means... most of the market is for cheap Chinese plugs and sockets, with the results you'd expect, above, and below with emorrison33's issue: (cont. below his post)

I had a static problem/issue with the Hart XLR and the Jot 2. Same things as you with the wiggle. I sent it back to them and they replaced it. The new one has worked well for quite some time now(1, 2 maybe 3 years) I did notice that the XLR "end" on the first one was different than the replacement. A future order with an XLR end had the same end as the replacement and that one works good as well. If I recall correctly, the "new" end has some rubber like material, the "old" one was all metal.

HartEnd.jpg

I put knockoff sockets on a couple of cables, and the solder joints would fail -- that is, if I managed to solder the impossibly tiny contact points at all, without melting the cheap plastic insulation, which is impossible. The proper Pentaconn sockets use a better set-up internally, and better plastic. Now if only someone would make a plug with teflon or similar ... but then it would probably cost more than the Pentaconn ones.. and you get the idea.

Basically, unless Neutrik starts making 4.4mm sockets that are reasonably priced, I don't imagine Schiit spending $26.16 extra per amp, even though I wish as well that they were able to add it.

Jun 14, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #119,992 of 154,074
The countdown to 120K posts begins. 10,9.....
Looks like we made 8K, and I hope this helps us get to 120K.

More importantly we helped people who help people. Thanks Doc! May the whole Universe bless you!! :smiley_cat:

Jun 14, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #119,993 of 154,074
Jun 14, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #119,994 of 154,074
I’m using an older ddHiFi adapter without any issues to go from 4.4mm to 4-pin XLR.
Yep, it works like a charm with the Senn factory balanced cable here and OG Jot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back