Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 4, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #115,786 of 155,168
Way cheaper than the $400 eBay price I saw earlier in the year. :D
It’s still there, the person is still trying to get $415 for it 🤦‍♂️

Apr 4, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #115,787 of 155,168
Syn sounds like an interesting product, but I'm still trying to figure out how I'd integrate it with Yggy, Rag 2 or Gumby, Freya S, and Vidar.

How do I use Syn with my existing Schiit without making one or more of them redundant?
Your Ragnarok 2, if fully loaded, already makes your Yggy, Gumby, Freya and Vidar redundant. And add in a single ended and balanced headphone amp to boot.

Eventually I'll tire of the Syn, and will bring out my Aegirs and Harbeth P3ESRs. Or my fully loaded Ragnarok and my KEF LS 50s. And someday I'll dust off my Valhalla and Sennheiser HD 800s.

The trials and tribulations of a first world audiophile.

Apr 4, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #115,788 of 155,168
I'll see your Matador and raise you a Citroen, it may have been way ahead of its time with features but ugly as hell!

I beg to vigorously disagree. The Citroen DS regularly makes the top 10 lists of most beautiful cars. My family had one when I was a kid and I miss it to this day. Unfortunately I live in Calgary and the nearest shop that works on them is in Vancouver so it's not practical for me to pick one up.

The suspension was a fskn marvel, way ahead of its time (still), and later models had steerable headlights, something that's only now beginning to show up in new model cars.

Apr 4, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #115,789 of 155,168
Syn sounds like an interesting product, but I'm still trying to figure out how I'd integrate it with Yggy, Rag 2 or Gumby, Freya S, and Vidar.

How do I use Syn with my existing Schiit without making one or more of them redundant?

I think there are more of us out there than we might expect.

Can't help you out with the Yiggy/Rag combo, but I currently have a Mimby, Saga S, and Emotiva A-100. The Mimby already feeds into the Saga S, and then I'll have the Saga S feed the Syn, Syn into the A100. I've got a phono pre and my work computer dac feeding into the Saga S as well.

But for me, the DAC in the Syn isn't redundant at all. I had plenty of more to say in my earlier post, but figured it was long enough already. One of the other headaches of a mixed use PC where dedicated listening is one of the uses, is running music streaming apps in "exclusive mode". It causes headaches when opening a web browser while streaming music or god forbid I launch a game with the streaming app still open and in exclusive mode. Having 2 dacs solves this issue. I can have the Syn dac be my default PC/gaming dac, and the Mimby be the default sound output for streaming music. And they'll never step on each other.

Just another in the long list of reasons why I feel like the Syn was made for me (and I guess Jason, too). And as he says, likely plenty of others.

Apr 4, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #115,790 of 155,168
PT Cruiser better because of looks or performance? Because a PT Cruiser is god awful ugly.

Performance is lacklustre at best. But I kind of like the looks - evokes the shape of cars from the 30s.

People seem to ask for something different in their cars (minivans all seem to have converged on one look, for instance), but when it's provided complain that it doesn't look like all the other cars.

I for one admire Chrysler for their willingness to buck trends and take chances. Never mind the PT Cruiser, who else would have come out with the Prowler?

Apr 4, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #115,791 of 155,168
If your TV is HDMI in and has optical out you may have some luck routing through the TV. Many TVs will downmix to stereo.
Boy, that would be a fun cabling exercise: HDMI out of my media server computer to the TV, then toslink back to a Syn (or Gungnir), then out to the amps. Then USB out of my media server computer directly to Syn for two-channel signals. I'll have to look at my antique TV to see if it has digital out and down mixes.

Balcones is great, but only for their blue corn offerings, IMHO. Try Uncle Nearest. And the best blended I’ve tried recently from Scotlanf is The Sassenach. Surprised the hell outta me.
Thanks to all who made recommendations. I'm sure I'll try a few.

You should have included a media link. Those of us who lived through The Wiggles must enlighten those who have not.

In a smack down I'm rooting for the Teletubbies...
And I'll bet you like NC outdoor cooking, too.

Maybe also nice to try some Q-sound recordings to see what Syn makes of it. Amused to Death from Roger Waters for example.
I could do that.

For all the catholics out there, topless is the only way to go. The name is Syn, after all.

Syn_3.png

😁
I think the wrong part of this photo is in focus...

A Citroen is used as the get away vehicle in the movie Green Berets.
Probably because they didn't mind trashing it in a chase. :smiling_imp:

I said this the last time Citroen was the entry for Car Day on the Schiit Sine Wave: I've not driven a Citroen so I can't comment about their engineering or features. I am in the They're Ugly camp, though. I don't like their shape. But then, I think the Nissan Juke is way cooler than the Kicks, so there's that.

Lighter flavor? There’s always Jim Beam.
Eww, I've had a job too long to have to put up with that.

Apr 4, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #115,792 of 155,168
One of my favourite cars ever... I wish I could have driven one... mon dieu...
I had the opportunity to drive a similar Citroen. A coworker was retiring, a fan of Alfas and Citroens. His retirement celebration was at a Chuck-e-Cheese. Seriously. He let me drive his Citroen with the Maserati engine and hydraulic suspension. It was amazing how smooth the ride is. You did not feel speed bumps driving over them and according to him, is an excellent highway cruiser. A car way ahead of its time.

Apr 4, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #115,793 of 155,168
I've never tried anything Pi-related, and while I am happily paying for my Apple Music subscription (mainly for when I'm on the road), Qobuz just sounds better to me.

...[snip]...

Long story short:
The software bit itself wouldn't be all that complicated. Especially if your goal is to provide a simpler-yet-better alternative to Roon, not just a carbon copy of their ever growing laundry list of features.
...[chop]....
In my situation, I'm going off the grid in about 2 years. I've grown spoiled on instant-on... GB/s download speeds... cheap telecommunications... data-plans... hell, even reliable electrical power supplies. Roon? Apple Music? Qobuz? In my case, these streaming services require always-on data. And I'll lose those media services!

On the North Bruce Peninsula, cellular coverage is spotty for Rogers (1of3-4 telecomms in Canada). The wind storms that howl across Lake Huron make short work of any fancy-cheap towers. If I want to continue enjoying new digital music, I end up borrowing discs from my public library... and then use Eeee Ayeeee Sea... and never EVER share it with others. So that the RCMP or OPP doesn't come knocking on my door. :triportsad: :triportsad: :triportsad: :ksc75smile: Or, download FLAC-encoded tunes directly from Chesky or the artist themselves.

Apr 4, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #115,794 of 155,168
Interesting idea. I'm not sure there's a big market for it, but interesting.

It all depends a bit on whether you need conversion both ways, as Nexus would need summed for maximum performance when going back to SE.

In a pinch, the LME49724 is a really good part for converting to balanced, as long as you don't need a volume pot in front of it.

(been thinking about balanced, etc a lot since I'm working on a chapter about "worst audio terms: balanced.")
Maybe a SE/Balanced router of sorts. Two dedicated balanced outs to run 4 monoblocks would be sweet

Apr 4, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #115,795 of 155,168
Performance is lacklustre at best. But I kind of like the looks - evokes the shape of cars from the 30s.

People seem to ask for something different in their cars (minivans all seem to have converged on one look, for instance), but when it's provided complain that it doesn't look like all the other cars.

I for one admire Chrysler for their willingness to buck trends and take chances. Never mind the PT Cruiser, who else would have come out with the Prowler?
.[
Or the Gremlin. Volarie (the car I learned how to drive on [with its copious use of real Corithian [fake] leather).

Apr 4, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #115,796 of 155,168
Has anyone ever sent stuff to Schiit for out of warranty repair to replace small things like RCA jacks or switches? How much was the total service charge? I just bought a used Asgard 2 that has a bad gain switch (makes static noise in one channel if I wiggle it while in low gain). I also want them to replace the RCA jacks since the jacks on this unit are heavily oxidized, and I am somewhat OCD when it comes to gold plated RCAs. I emailed Schiit about estimate, but they couldn't tell me until a tech takes a look at the unit. Since I have to cover shipping both ways and repair starts at 30$, I want to see whether if it's feasible to send it in.
Welcome to the thread, @zexk (I like the rodent icon [the little buggers made a nest in my truck's cabin filter the last time I parked it on the woodlot for ~1 week unattended]). Schiit's glorious power toggles do get loose eventually. And I'm waiting for the L/R and coax jacks to snap off their plastic (!) screws. I've had good luck with Schiit repairs. I live in Toronto (ON, Canada) and the turn-around time appears to be prompt. Their repair fees and diagnostic fees are reasonable for me. My 2 cents...

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #115,797 of 155,168
Or the ugliest car ever...

The AMC Matador. I'll take a Gremlin or Pacer over this bloated behemoth, anyday.

My opinion for the ugliest car ever:

Attachments

• 2023-BMW-7-Series-Redesign.jpg
    2023-BMW-7-Series-Redesign.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 4, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #115,798 of 155,168
Or the Gremlin. Volarie (the car I learned how to drive on [with its copious use of real Corithian [fake] leather).
Hmm....wasn't it, "rich Corinthian leather"?

Apr 4, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #115,799 of 155,168
My opinion for the ugliest car ever:
I like the side profile, but agree it has a face only a mother could love... it looks like its 'jaw' has hit the floor or a teenager's pants on the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back