Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 3, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #115,681 of 155,168
One last thing for Jason: When you are ready to ship the Super Syn with the balanced output and and five motorized pots controlled by a proper mental remote control, I'll be the first in line.😎
FTFY…[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.]

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #115,682 of 155,168
One last thing for Jason: When you are ready to ship the Super Syn with the balanced output and and five motorized pots controlled by a proper metal remote control, I'll be the first in line.😎
I really really want that too, but perhaps it's best if we get Syn right first. And then see how it goes. Arghhhhhhhhhhh.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 3, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #115,684 of 155,168
Manual is wrong like the top. At least for the moment. Soon to be swapped out, at least on the site.

Anyone who got a bad Syn gets a free Schiit Happened shirt, in compensation!
Schwag appropriated.

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #115,685 of 155,168
PT Cruiser better because of looks or performance? Because a PT Cruiser is god awful ugly.
Slowest vehicle I've ever driven was a blue PT loser with flames on the side and a fake hurst shifter.

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #115,686 of 155,168
Schwag appropriated.
Thank ArmchairPhilosopher for the shirt...it was his idea. I was too busy fixing things to think much.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 3, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #115,687 of 155,168
One small correction: Whenever JRiver introduces a new version they offer upgrade discounts to those who have licensed versions of prior programs. So there's no penalty to falling behind the latest version. I use V. 29 and did not upgrade to V.30, because there was little if anything of interest to me. JRiver seems to pay more attention to video enthusiasts than us audio guys. I hope Jriver fully integrates popular streaming services such as Prime HD.

I would be interested to hear about why you switched from JRiver to dBPower amp rip tunes. Features? Improved sound quality?
OK, but I think JRiver's pricing model is good enough even without the pre-release discount I thought I'd give them props. As to adding dBPowerAmp for ripping CDs: I'd had problems with a few CDs not ripping with JRiver, and I was curious about dBPowerAmp's secure rip, so I tried it. Now I use it. It's really that simple. I haven't done any kind of comparison between the hundreds of CDs I ripped with JRiver compared with the dozens I've ripped with dBPowerAmp. But dBPowerAmp has only failed with one CD so far.

B5D99A6C-A170-4B66-9D1A-E1704435899D.gif
Me waiting for more impressions
I really didn't need to see that...

Manual is wrong like the top. At least for the moment. Soon to be swapped out, at least on the site.

Anyone who got a bad Syn gets a free Schiit Happened shirt, in compensation!
OK, OK, can @Ripper2860 and I buy nyS (that's a "backward" Syn) on purpose so we can get the T-shirts?

Pffft. You ain't lived until you've listened to The Wiggles' 'Fruit Salad' in surround. :rolling_eyes:
Can't believe I'm the first to "like" this post. Am I really the only other Schiitizen with kids the right age to remember the Wiggles? There was a great mention of The Wiggles in a first-season episode of Last Man Standing.

I sent a tech question to Schiit this afternoon and got a prompt reply from Tom (I hope he's back to building Urds now). One of my use cases for a Syn just got complicated: Tom confirmed what I thought I knew: Schiit DACs won't accept a multi-channel signal. Many of my movie files only have multi-channel audio, so I couldn't use Syn with those. At least trying Syn would have been a no-brainer if somehow it could extract the L and R signal and just ignore the rest, but I really didn't expect that given @Jason Stoddard's explanation in Chapter 4/2023. I was hopeful if I tried Syn it would actually replace my pre-pro, but I don't think that's in the cards now.

@Jason Stoddard: if customers buy a Syn, do we get fifteen days to try it in our headphone systems and another fifteen days to try it in our speaker system before the return period expires? :)

Listening to some Richard Strauss and trying some bourbon as a change of pace from scotch. I enjoy Strauss, but miss my scotch. So far bourbon hasn't been to my liking (Balcones, a Texas distillery, and Wild Turkey). I went to the liquor store Saturday to replenish my stock of Aberlour and they were out of the 16 Year! Tragic.

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #115,688 of 155,168
Apr 3, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #115,689 of 155,168
This has been quite a roller coaster for me. I’m sure it would have come to light eventually but Jason’s direct community involvement through this forum has expedited that process. One of many reasons to love and appreciate the treasure that Schiit is.

Thank you @Jason Stoddard for your explanations, remedies, and everything. And shout out to the la-Z boy philospher or whoever it was to recommend tshirts.

With everything sorted out I’m experiencing a state of syn-esthesia surround sound.

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #115,690 of 155,168
I'm surprised you didn't say something like, "I see @bcowen finally washed his car." You're slipping....
Yeah. Too many margaritas trying to make-up for a tough day at work. Gotta lay-off some good people next week. :unamused:

That was a good one, though. Wish I'd thought of it! :D

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #115,691 of 155,168
...Tom confirmed what I thought I knew: Schiit DACs won't accept a multi-channel signal. Many of my movie files only have multi-channel audio, so I couldn't use Syn with those. ...
If your TV is HDMI in and has optical out you may have some luck routing through the TV. Many TVs will downmix to stereo.

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #115,692 of 155,168
Listening to some Richard Strauss and trying some bourbon as a change of pace from scotch. I enjoy Strauss, but miss my scotch. So far bourbon hasn't been to my liking (Balcones, a Texas distillery, and Wild Turkey). I went to the liquor store Saturday to replenish my stock of Aberlour and they were out of the 16 Year! Tragic.
Balcones is great, but only for their blue corn offerings, IMHO. Try Uncle Nearest. And the best blended I’ve tried recently from Scotlanf is The Sassenach. Surprised the hell outta me.

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #115,693 of 155,168
Pffft. You ain't lived until you've listened to The Wiggles' 'Fruit Salad' in surround. :rolling_eyes:
You should have included a media link. Those of us who lived through The Wiggles must enlighten those who have not.

In a smack down I'm rooting for the Teletubbies...

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #115,694 of 155,168
... At least I know how I missed it personally--this is what my Syns look like--one unscreened, one sans top. ...
Topless a la Dave or some other (sharable) reason?

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #115,695 of 155,168
I really really want that too, but perhaps it's best if we get Syn right first. And then see how it goes. Arghhhhhhhhhhh.
Given the reactions so far, I'm rooting for a Peccadillo - Syn in a Modi case :) Probably with those weird speaker block terminals ;-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back