Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 18, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #113,686 of 151,398
... Personally, I'm not a fan of anything I gotta use my phone with and therefore don't have one. I have a Roon setup w/ Pi 4 Ropieee XL, so I have no first-hand knowledge. :wink:

I'd had hopes for the NAD CS1 or WiiM Pro, as Tidal/Qobuz 'Connect' appliances, but neither have USB output.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #113,687 of 151,398
With great trepidation I offer up MFSL remasters.

For classical, Deutsch Grammohon!

Jazz: Sheffield Lab.
I know that there was some recent problem with the authenticity of their vinyl releases but prior to their admission of naughtiness was any one able to discern they had indeed been naughty? I kinda-sorta doubt it, especially amongst beings like Fremer or the quite possibly more fetid and foul charlatan Lavorgna.

ORT The Not-So-Reticent :beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #113,688 of 151,398
I'd had hopes for the NAD CS1 or WiiM Pro, as a Tidal/Qobuz 'Connect' appliances, but neither have USB output.
If Tidal drops MQA I might consider them for my self and a relative. Qobuz? I still can not get past that name, LOL! That and they are not (yet?) a part of my HEOS pUniverse. I have no idea it Chromecast is an option but I personally do not wish to "cast" any thing to my equipment from my phone. But that is just me.

A Toaddite.

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #113,692 of 151,398
If Tidal drops MQA I might consider them for my self and a relative. Qobuz? I still can not get past that name, LOL! That and they are not (yet?) a part of my HEOS pUniverse. I have no idea it Chromecast is an option but I personally do not wish to "cast" any thing to my equipment from my phone. But that is just me.

A Toaddite.

I use TIDAL HiFi, CD quality, hard-pass on MQA. Depending on what's plugged into what and turned on, out of convenience (being lazy) I'll sometimes 'cast' Tidal from my laptop (or phone) to Chromecast connected to TV/DAC/amp or AVR.

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #113,696 of 151,398
Why is streamer usb output essential? WiiM coax or toslink out sound quite good…

I connect a tv via toslink to a WiiM Pro and the streamer via toslink out to a dac. A very nice toslink bridge. It works.
7f0gbk.jpg

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #113,697 of 151,398
Haven't listened to that in ages. Really nice recording too.
Incredibly well recorded, if I remember correctly. I need to find another copy... now, the question is... CD? Or vinyl? <g>

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #113,698 of 151,398
I use TIDAL HiFi, CD quality, hard-pass on MQA. Depending on what's plugged into what and turned on, out of convenience (being lazy) I'll sometimes 'cast' Tidal from my laptop (or phone) to Chromecast connected to TV/DAC/amp or AVR.
I am just opposed to casting as I found it incovenient when I had to do it for a few months. That and I despise the cRAP beginning of Tidal and MQA so have avoided it since it started. I do NOT want any of my subscription, even a mere pittance, to that idiot Blob Stewfart.

Grumpy ORT :ksc75smile:

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #113,699 of 151,398
What’s wong with coax or toslink output?
Nothing. But people have their preferences and I can respect that. I do not much care for USB in home use but in my car or truck my fApple phone connects via the USB inputs. I do not hear any difference in of the three. I hear music. I prefer optical or coax and no longer use a computer for my music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back