Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 22, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #11,298 of 155,074
Motorized pot. Man I wish I'd had that in the 70's. Badumpbum. Motorized pot. Is that when one is driving under the influe... Oh never mind, I'll find the door. Again...

"Endorphin rush with an accelerator."

"Fast delivery to your dorsal."

Stop me when I get close...

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #11,299 of 155,074
Decided to reread the Schiit Happened ebook again for the probably fifth time and on the off chance decided to google Jason's name. Found a couple of photos on Flickr of Jason at a Virtual Worlds Forum circa Europe in 07. So I present to you a slightly younger Jason Stoddard.

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #11,300 of 155,074
  Decided to reread the Schiit Happened ebook again for the probably fifth time and on the off chance decided to google Jason's name. Found a couple of photos on Flickr of Jason at a Virtual Worlds Forum circa Europe in 07. So I present to you a slightly younger Jason Stoddard.

I may be the only one... But this photo, and Jason's (and Mike's) interview with DAR on MQA for some reason makes me think of Harold Finch (Michael Emerson) from Person of Interest. The calm, careful, controlled, well-mannered, politically accurate, self-effacing manner of speaking is uncanny. And now with the Skynet references... I wonder if all this talk of the Manhattan project is simply about building... The Machine --- well, a minimalistic kind of AI, anyways, without even a blinking light and definitely with no displays. :) But hey this is probably just me.

Jun 23, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #11,301 of 155,074
I live in Houston, the forth largest city in the US. There is not a single place where you can listen to audio stuff. Well, Best Buy has Macintosh. So, I bought my amp and speakers from a guy who opened a little shop in a friends record store, my turntable from a fellow who restores Thorens, Dac and headphone amp from Schiit, and cables that are a step above, but by no means insane. The market is stupid and it is eating itself. Schiit seems to be doing well. As does Emotiva. Chinese stuff floods in but I have no idea who is buying $100000 systems.

Greetings, fellow Houstonian. I, for one, welcome our new Schiit overlords.

Jun 23, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #11,302 of 155,074

I guess if it was a display, we could actually spell it out for even more offensiveness.

I got the Schiit Yggdrasil, and I have to say Im happy with it, and it sounds amazing, BUT The small lights, and especially the mystic icons just above it which we need glasses to read and understand is somehow too small.. Since you already got lights on/off depending on which input and the hz/bitrate music is coming from mabye a basicl LCD display to show these things white/black which is better readable ?

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #11,303 of 155,074
I placed an order for some Schiit and when it shipped I got an email with this subject "Your order at Schiit Audio has shipped!".
I really feel like it should be "Your Schiit has shipped!".
Just saying...

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #11,304 of 155,074
I placed an order for some Schiit and when it shipped I got an email with this subject "[COLOR=222222]Your order at Schiit Audio has shipped!".

Just saying...[/COLOR]

I agree. I like yours better.

Jun 23, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #11,305 of 155,074
I placed an order for some Schiit and when it shipped I got an email with this subject "[COLOR=222222]Your order at Schiit Audio has shipped!".

Just saying...[/COLOR]

I agree. I like yours better.

Reading this reminds me of this scene from Kingpin. Always made me laugh.

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/SaYUqXAmXRQ[/VIDEO]

Jun 23, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #11,307 of 155,074
  There's at least one company out there making an amp with Ethernet so you can monitor that sort of stuff.

Monitoring for potential problems within the amp? Or just tracking power output and performance-related metrics?

Most stereo amps I've used in my life have been from the 80's and are still going strong. The one in my living room right now is from the late 80s or early 90s I believe, I can't imagine a high-end amplifier would have such inferior durability that it would need to be monitored. Even then, unless you're an extremely knowledgeable engineer, what is there to do about it if it does say something is wrong?

In the case of measuring other aspects of the amp, such as its current power output, what utility does that provide besides: "Oh look my amp is currently pumping out 720mW, neat." Maybe there are more useful applications but none that I'm aware of.

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #11,308 of 155,074

Oh god, that conference...

I was invited to speak at Virtual Worlds Forum Europe '07, largely due to some cool stuff we were doing at Centric at the time—our company hadn't yet showed up in MIT Tech Review (https://www.technologyreview.com/s/409682/historical-maps-in-second-life/) but we were doing some really cutting-edge stuff for HP, and proposing a bunch of marketing ideas that really used the medium of virtual worlds, rather than just "being there." Of course, this is all long-past, as the advertising potential of virtual worlds was finally determined to be (ahem) a little lacking (but not before we did the largest event ever in Second Life, the 12Avatars calendar competition.)

In any case, I flew into London on a redeye coach flight, got on the tube, and (thanks to tube construction delays), ended up having to walk straight into the forum, drop my bags at the bar, go straight to the stage and and give my main presentation, on the ROI of virtual worlds. So, on 2 hours of sleep, jet lagged to hell and back, eyes pointing in two different directions, my laptop charger lost and with 1/3 battery left (in days when that meant less than an hour of run time), I stood up for 45 minutes and talked (alone) about how corporations might begin to realize an ROI in virtual worlds. IIRC, it was mainly about content creation and training. But things were pretty hazy. In any case, as the battery indicator went red, I finished my talk. I think it was fairly well-received.

Later, I was on a panel (I think that's where this photo showed up), where I got to contradict an English Ph.D (and originator of some of the basics of virtual worlds) about advertising in virtual spaces and how it worked (he was operating on the old principle of "well, companies put up billboards in real life, and it's the same in virtual worlds." I argued that it was NOT the same at all, since, in virtual spaces, you could (a) see who put up the advertising, (b) read all about them, and (c) message them or visit them to bitch at them if you didn't like it. It was more like advertising 30 years in the future, when everything has embedded RFID tags and you know who made it and everything about them, which is a profoundly different space than real-life advertising today. That's why we proposed "open space conservation" advertising in virtual worlds, where a corporation would buy open space, make it look pretty or useful, and LEAVE IT ALONE, because the owner of the land was visible for anyone who clicked on it, and the message of "we're conserving this place and making it pretty or useful, and keeping ads out," would resonate.

In any case, it was a cool time. It felt like we were pushing the limits of what you could do in marketing. But those times are past. Let's see what VR brings.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 23, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #11,309 of 155,074
At least Jason has mostly respectable pictures when you google him. Tyll on the other hand...
ph34r.gif

Jun 23, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #11,310 of 155,074
  At least Jason has mostly respectable pictures when you google him. Tyll on the other hand...
ph34r.gif

My eyes are forever blinded, and my mind is forever scarred...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back