Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 17, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #11,176 of 151,315
I guess when you have obscene amounts of money it doesn't matter how much your system costs, or then the whole point is just to show off, not listening to music.

Most of my stuff cost more than my 20 year old Toyota, but I'll get around upgrading that too when I have a full-time job.

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #11,177 of 151,315
I guess when you have obscene amounts of money it doesn't matter how much your system costs, or then the whole point is just to show off, not listening to music.

It's not the size of someone's bank balance, it's the size of their insecurity.

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #11,178 of 151,315
So glad you addressed the "elephant in the Room". I've been in this hobby for 25+  years and also feel that the ridiculous price spiral is poisoning the well water for new entrants. I will even admit that I got caught up in the madness and purchased a pre-amp that was close to the price of my car. It is a very nice piece of equipment and I enjoy it to this day but in hindsight would not purchase it again. As you said in another chapter, you need to know when to say "enough is enough". Audio-Nervosa can be an expensive disease.

Well said sir I agree Audio-Nervosa can be a tragically expensive disease. I think the best way for an audophile to be happy is to truly appreciate what one has and not dwell on what one does not have.

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #11,179 of 151,315
possibly yes.

Hmmm. Looking at his profile it looks like he hasn't been around in a while. The last chapter he worked on was the Subjectivist/Objectivist chapter. That's a bit of blow. 

I'm still doing the ebook, but due to time constraints I haven't posted single PDFs for every new chapter, but I updated the files in my first post every time there was a new chapter. Chapter 9 is typeset now as well. See my signature.

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #11,180 of 151,315

There is a forum member on this thread (apologies can't remember your damn handle) that provides an ebook version and always updates the ebook with the latest chapter. You'll have to look back a few pages though unless I remember his name.

I might check it,. Thanks :) 

This will take you to the appropriate post, with links to the latest (free!) versions in PDF or ePub formats.

I typeset Schiit Happened by Jason Stoddard in PDFs suitable for paper and mobile devices

Welcome aboard!

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #11,182 of 151,315
  Am I the only one getting super hyped about this or am I just late to the party?

Probably the latter. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #11,183 of 151,315
  Am I the only one getting super hyped about this or am I just late to the party?

Holding our breath here.

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #11,184 of 151,315

Most of my stuff cost more than my 20 year old Toyota, but I'll get around upgrading that too when I have a full-time job.

I still drive a 20 year old Toyota and I have a great full-time job. Not buying a new car every 5 years saves a lot of money for other things like audio.

I also have more invested in a lawnmower than I do in the 3 used Toyotas that I own. I can mow the lawn in 1.5 hrs instead of all weekend. Which allows me time to enjoy audio, and was still cheaper than a professional landscaper.

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #11,185 of 151,315
  Chapter 9 is the reason it is incredibly hard for me to recommend going with a tube amp and that makes me awfully sad and angry. Tube prices were just a small fraction (my guess is 20% from looking at old ads) just 5 maybe 10 years ago tops. If I do recommend a tube amp it is my peak/volcano which only takes one tube. Tubes are magical but with some of them going for $20k, even $30k for just one tube it really takes all the fun out of it. I'm going to eventually end up being all SS once again if the dsha-4 is a winner which I expect it will be.

Knew of $200K speakers and customs for more so I supposed I shouldn't be surprised at $20-30K for a tube.  But yikes. I had no idea. I've been enjoying a set of Amperex 6922 orange label tubes and wondering whether I would try some $200/pair alternatives in the MJ2.  Feels a little like an old Peanuts cartoon where Lucy and Charlie are lying in the grass looking at clouds and she says something like, "Why, I think that's Michelangelo's scene of God Dividing the Waters in the Sistene Chapel.  What do you see Charlie?" to wit "I was going to say a donkey and a cow. . . "

Jun 17, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #11,186 of 151,315

I have a friend who has a half-million dollars in his audio system and a $150K custom-built room he uses it in.  He does not have it "to show off" and indeed spends hours every day in the room listening.  So for some people at least, the high-end is because that's their passion.  For some I am sure it is about the possessions, yes, but not for all.

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #11,187 of 151,315
It's got to get to a point of "diminishing returns" I would think. I currently listen to music on nearfield monitors. I like the revealing nature of them, and I work on them. Working on music, transcribing, practicing, a little recording, stuff like that.

I'm listening to some tunes this morning on my home work setup. I am using my Concero HD, with the Mackie HR824mk 2 nearfields, and the Mackie Sub. Got all three speakers sitting on isolation pads. Using .flac files of course.

And it sounds pretty darn good (the room is treated too).  It "reveals" quite a bit that's going on in there. Since I have to constantly listen to recordings to figure out parts, it's essential any system I have is revealing.

Anyway, last night I was surfing the net reading about Yggdrasil. I want to upgrade to Yggdrasil on both my home and office work setups. I read a very nice review on Yggy, and decided to check out the reviews other gear. He was listening to Yggy on 37 thousand dollar speakers! Damn! 

I'm a newbie with all of this high end audio stuff, and it blows me away that someone would pay that much for a set of speakers, and seriously how much better can they sound? Doesn't it get to the point of overall limitations in the recording process itself? I would think a 37 thousand dollar set of speakers and the yggy would be a fantastic combo, and it's maybe 30 times or more the expense of my current home system, but is it 30 times better? 

I started reading more on nearfield monitors and came across the genelec 1038B (16,920 a pair) and the 1037C (11,870 a pair). I wonder how much better they'd be over my current system. They're not 37 grand a pair, but they aren't cheap either. My goodness.

And again, how much better are these high end systems? 

My plan is to get the Yggdrasil (s) first. Then it will be a long road to saving for high end nearfield monitors I guess, such as the Genelec's. Maybe. Then again, maybe I should just realize that much more money isn't going to necessarily be worth it. Law of diminishing returns the higher up a person goes in price.

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #11,188 of 151,315
  My plan is to get the Yggdrasil (s) first. Then it will be a long road to saving for high end nearfield monitors I guess, such as the Genelec's. Maybe. Then again, maybe I should just realize that much more money isn't going to necessarily be worth it. Law of diminishing returns the higher up a person goes in price.

If you're considering that kind of money for speakers and other hardware consider instead putting money in a better room (new house) and some booze. Enjoy the system you have. Jim sent me the customer packet for the Salk Song3 I bought off of him after the show. He makes mention of enjoying the music you like to listen to and having a good time. That's what it's about. If your goal in audio is to get the ultimate (unbiased, subjective and objective, HA!) system forget about it.

Jun 17, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #11,189 of 151,315

If you're considering that kind of money for speakers and other hardware consider instead putting money in a better room (new house) and some booze. Enjoy the system you have. Jim sent me the customer packet for the Salk Song3 I bought off of him after the show. He makes mention of enjoying the music you like to listen to and having a good time. That's what it's about. If your goal in audio is to get the ultimate (unbiased, subjective and objective, HA!) system forget about it.

I hear you. I think after the Yggy upgrades, I'm done for the foreseeable future. I agree, if I went with 17 thousand dollar (for the pair) speakers, I'd also need to move into a better house, and have a dedicated designed sound room to listen in. The room I use now has some treatment up and sounds pretty good, but (I don't think) it's an ideal room to set up 20 to 40 thousand dollar speakers in.

Sounds good about the booze too!! Gonna put away some beers this weekend!

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #11,190 of 151,315
  [snip] You’ll see our 2-channel products this fall, and, if the reaction of various industry people is to be believed, they may have an even bigger impact on that market than we have on the desktop. [snip]

Here’s to a sane, affordable, and high-end future!

@Jason Stoddard, recognizing such info may be sensitive at this early stage, would you mind sharing:
  • whether the 2-channel preamp this fall with the remote will include a built-in headphone amp? and
  • if not, whether the 2-channel preamp will be passive (power for remote control operation only) or active?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back