Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 16, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #11,161 of 151,340
Right on, Jason!  The high-end stereo pricing has been accelerating steadily for decades.  It used to be that you could dream of upgrading $300 speakers for $1000 ones, and know it would be a steep improvement.  But as you say, when reviewers call an $8,000 phono preamp a good value - well, I can't even..

Jun 16, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #11,163 of 151,340
Just finished reading the intro and would like to read more. Was wondering if there is an ebook version somewhere which I can read on kindle?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

There is, but it only goes up to a certain point as Jason has added a few chapters since it was published on Amazon: http://amzn.to/28IsxNY

Still probably worth it though to get it on your kindle for $5. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #11,164 of 151,340

There is, but it only goes up to a certain point as Jason has added a few chapters since it was published on Amazon: http://amzn.to/28IsxNY

Still probably worth it though to get it on your kindle for $5. 

There is a forum member on this thread (apologies can't remember your damn handle) that provides an ebook version and always updates the ebook with the latest chapter. You'll have to look back a few pages though unless I remember his name.

Jun 16, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #11,165 of 151,340

There is a forum member on this thread (apologies can't remember your damn handle) that provides an ebook version and always updates the ebook with the latest chapter. You'll have to look back a few pages though unless I remember his name.

Is @lblb still doing those?

Jun 16, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #11,167 of 151,340
BTW, there is a way for a publisher/author to update a Kindle book on Amazon such that the new version would go out to previous buyers at no cost. Just saying. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #11,168 of 151,340
So glad you addressed the "elephant in the Room". I've been in this hobby for 25+  years and also feel that the ridiculous price spiral is poisoning the well water for new entrants. I will even admit that I got caught up in the madness and purchased a pre-amp that was close to the price of my car. It is a very nice piece of equipment and I enjoy it to this day but in hindsight would not purchase it again. As you said in another chapter, you need to know when to say "enough is enough". Audio-Nervosa can be an expensive disease.

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #11,169 of 151,340
Jun 16, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #11,170 of 151,340
"I give exactly zero ****s about being taken seriously. I care about only one thing: bringing high-end within reach of as many people as possible and building the ranks of audiophiles, so that when the ultra-high-end implosion comes, there’s plenty of sensible music-lovers out there."

YES!  

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #11,171 of 151,340
I sometimes listen to headphones while my speakers and sub are playing; and occasionally with my power amp off, so that the preamp is still feeding the sub. That way I can get viscerally felt bass, which headphones alone can't provide.

Your response moved me to take some steps.  I realized I had a home theater active Yamaha front speaker/ported sub-woofer sitting under a TV we rarely watch and I moved it down to the studio and am driving it from the pre-amp outs on the Mjolnir2 and loving it.  Of course it has me wondering immediately about what a spiffier sub would sound like, but for now it's a treat: doesn't muddy the lows on the open backed LCD-Xs and puts a vibration in my chest and chair.  Pretty sweet. 

Since I'm interested in near-field setups I'm also wondering about checking out 3 speaker set ups that I can drive from the MJ2. Cheapest option might be the JBL 305s with their sub. Balanced outs from the MJ2 through the sub to the monitors that can be powered down when I want the HP/sub combo. More expensive might be the Adam 5x with their 7" Artist sub. For no reason I can be sure of I am drawn to down throw subs rather than front facing and I am not sure about musicality of straight up monitor systems, but might be able trial both at home.  Ideal. Ideas anyone??

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #11,172 of 151,340
It's not just the stratospheric pricing of amps, speakers etc but also tweaks... Racks at several thousands, vibration control at $800 bucks a pop. etc...

Maybe some of these things do affect resultant sound but can a metal cone really be worth several hundred dollars ?

Jun 17, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #11,173 of 151,340
  While I believe there has been progress towards better audio on many fronts, I don’t think we’re really much closer to fooling people that they’re listening to a live performance. Not in 2-channel, not in surround, not anywhere.

I listen to > 20 live performances/year. The closest I've come to one at home was with my "humble" Bimby>Asgard 2>Alpha Prime study setup. Even though my living room system — very good in many ways — was 5x more expensive. The value I get from Schiit gear is way out of proportion to what I paid for it. I'm very fortunate to be able to spend as much as free time allows on listening to live and recording music, but I find it totally silly to overspend on gear just because it looks good to do so, But then, I drive a dented but well-running and fun to drive 2008 Subaru every workday into a parking lot full of Tesla S's :wink: 

Jun 17, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #11,174 of 151,340
Amen, Brother Jason!

I would love to know who buys this stuff at these prices.  And how do they justify to themselves the cost.

I used to think the prices were completely ridiculous until I priced out some slightly exotic cases.  Lordy! at a normal markup the cases alone were thousands.  At that point I gave up thinking any manufacturer would make anything at a reasonable price.

So, I just follow the exotics and sensible manufacturers.  Salk, Schiit, Magnepan for sensible.  Janszen, Gallo, for exotic.

This whole market has gone boutique and bespoke in a way that makes no sense.

P.S.  I was quoted the price of one thousand dollars for a shelf for my rack.  I expected something ridiculous, say a few hundred, but a thousand?!  Because I needed/wanted 2 they knocked fifty off the price.  How generous.

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #11,175 of 151,340
Chapter 9 is the reason it is incredibly hard for me to recommend going with a tube amp and that makes me awfully sad and angry. Tube prices were just a small fraction (my guess is 20% from looking at old ads) just 5 maybe 10 years ago tops. If I do recommend a tube amp it is my peak/volcano which only takes one tube. Tubes are magical but with some of them going for $20k, even $30k for just one tube it really takes all the fun out of it. I'm going to eventually end up being all SS once again if the dsha-4 is a winner which I expect it will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back