Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 15, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #110,671 of 154,510
Streamer? What's wrong with WiiM Pro? Bit perfect SPDIF out sounds quite good on a mmb2.
We're delving into some serious minutiae and to many, yes the WiiM pro is exceptional at what it does however bit perfect data integrity says nothing of electrical noise and jitter. Not to say that the WiiM Pro has any issues with electrical noise or jitter (I don't know) but Schiit Unison USB is touted as the best data transmission method so I wouldn't mind a streamer that can optimize that. Especially now that the USB output is complete.

Maybe some day Schiit would be willing to share the implementation details of Unison with a third party for something like this. Like a Unison Pi hat version of the Magni Piety colab they did with Nitsch.
My thoughts exactly!

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #110,672 of 154,510
We're delving into some serious minutiae and to many, yes the WiiM pro is exceptional at what it does however bit perfect data integrity says nothing of electrical noise and jitter. Not to say that the WiiM Pro has any issues with electrical noise or jitter (I don't know) but Schiit Unison USB is touted as the best data transmission method so I wouldn't mind a streamer that can optimize that. Especially now that the USB output is complete.
I think that WiiM Pro is the Schiit of streamers. :)

Feb 15, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #110,673 of 154,510
Feb 15, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #110,674 of 154,510
This is pretty far off subject but I happened upon this watch that my wife gave me when we were dating. $44.95 with a photo of Bob Hope advertising the brand. Must be junk right? Swiss made chronograph 🤪. I am going to give it a good ultrasonic cleaning after I examine the works. It still runs. https://www.ebay.com/itm/155360456004? Here is one in much worse condition.

1FA21E22-EAD1-461A-8998-570578B4E8AA.jpeg

I have been busy lately after I volunteered to help locals with their audio systems. I also ran a couple ads offering to buy old Thorens, Linn,Pioneer, Macintosh and Technica turntables. That is keeping me busy as well. I also offered to buy old receivers but I am pretty particular in what I refurb.
7bbik8.jpg

Cheers!

Feb 15, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #110,675 of 154,510
I'm not a Pi guy myself, so "let it be known" that I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to designing Pi hats.
That said—and because absolutely no one asked—here are my thoughts on the idea:
- Sounds like a neat idea on paper.
- Probably super niche, though. Not sure that enough people use Pis as audiophile-grade streamers (read: a large enough market of potential Unison-hat buyers) for the r'n'd that'd be required to get this to the usual Schiit-level of quality to pay off, especially not considering the price point I assume the average inhabitant of that particular niche would be willing to pay for a Pi hat that's in essence "just" a super-limited-in-scope-but-exceptionally-capable-in-that-one-single-thing-it-does USB controller.

Edit:
…just went and checked what protocol(s) a Pi hat uses to communicate with its host device. It's essentially just a bog-standard COM port. Ah, the good ol' times!
So it should be easy enough to implement a Unison Pi hat based on some low-to-mid-ish-tier off-the-shelve shelf (I'll never get that one right on the first try. 🙄) microcontroller or FPGA.
Maybe some day Schiit would be willing to share the implementation details of Unison with a third party for something like this. Like a Unison Pi hat version of the Magni Piety colab they did with Nitsch.
Thank the gods that it's near-impossible to get your hands on a Pi right now, and that I'm already stuck up to my ever-thinning scalp deep in a pile of other projects — or I'd be itching to give this the old college try. 🤣

Oh, and @xTrIpX—and with all due respect—you do realize that Unison is 90% software (or better; firmware), plus a few bits and bobs of processed sand strewn in for good measure, right? So when Schiit says that they're not a software company, they don't just mean touch screens and Roon replacements*, that kida sorta also includes stuff like Unison Pi hats.

* Oh please, Jason, for the love of all that's sacred, let me talk you into providing me with funding to develop one! 😩🤣

I think Schiit should design a Pi HAT with a tube (and optionally a LISST), and sure, a Unison output. They can name it Svinekjøtt (or just Svin for short).

I think @Paladin79 may be feeling a certain...stirring.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #110,676 of 154,510

My thoughts exactly!

but why use a usb-out on it when you can just use something like toslink or aes?

that said, yeah, I'd buy a Schiit streamer over a WiiM any day

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #110,677 of 154,510
I was always under the impression that with hifiberry, pi2aes, allo, etc that pi hat streamers were pretty big, but not sure. None for usb out though. The Pi 3 was notorious for having a "noisy" usb, with the 4 being vastly improved, so perhaps the window for a Unison hat has closed somewhat.

Still, I would buy if it included a case perhaps. I like the matching component idea from when we discussed the 3d printed schiit style Pi case

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #110,678 of 154,510
I despair the rise of 'streamers'. It is the final digital embodiment of music as a commodity. I know, it has been commodified by the labels for over 80 years. But, streaming just makes it worse - for artists and music lovers.

While I don't prefer vinyl as a music recording/playback medium - I embrace the process. It's a PITA to use - which makes one a semi-participant in a specific personal musical event, not a passive consumer of data-mined audio streams.

Might seem absurd, but I wish Schiit could make a CD spinner box with Unison output... that is something that could get me off my butt to change discs.* :beyersmile:

*Note: edited for failed sarcasm purposes

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #110,679 of 154,510
I think Schiit should design a Pi HAT with a tube (and optionally a LISST), and sure, a Unison output. They can name it Svinekjøtt (or just Svin for short).

I think @Paladin79 may be feeling a certain...stirring.

+1 for posting a Jeff Beck track. :beerchug:

My favorite version (notice I didn't say best) is from Live At Ronnie Scott's.
Some celebrities in the crowd but you need to look fast. 1:52.

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #110,680 of 154,510
What he said 🤪

Also Mike likes the sound of Unison better than spdif if I'm not mistaken, so there's the subjective aspect to consider.
Oh, be careful, please. You're liable to ignite a whole 'nother level of Audiophile Debate: German Objectivism vs. American Subjectivism (it's the adjectives which raise the bar).

I'm still trying to work out the Zen thing...
I'll bet that new Denon CD player would help.

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #110,681 of 154,510
That could be interesting, Unison-to-Unison. It would/could fit into the Schiit affordability spectrum. Don't think I've ever heard it mentioned - does the Pi play anywhere in the Schiit Inc. testing, playing, curiosity framework?
Jason has stated that he does not enjoy creating things that require software-based user interfaces, so maybe not. But it never hurts to ask. <g>

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #110,683 of 154,510
I despair the rise of 'streamers'. It is the final digital embodiment of music as a commodity. I know, it has been commodified by the labels for over 80 years. But, streaming just makes it worse - for artists and music lovers.

While I don't prefer vinyl as a music recording/playback medium - I embrace the process. It's a PITA to use - which makes one a semi-participant in a specific personal musical event, not a passive consumer of data-mined audio streams.

If only Schiit could make a CD spinner box with Unison output... now that is something that could get me off my butt to change discs. :beyersmile:
Yeah I don't let robots choose my music for me. It's indeed a PITA in some ways to collect and play records but also sometimes more rewarding.

That's why for digital I have no problem getting a big SSD and "collecting" flac files. A walk in the park compared to vinyl! With Unison from my media server into an Yggy LIM I get stunning sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back