Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 7, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #110,056 of 150,121
Hey guys,

I'm eyeing a used Modi Multibit (OG) from a local online marketplace. I understand there are two versions of the Mimby and I'd like to ask for advice on how to tell which version this one is. As you can see from the picture below, the seller has covered the serial number. Is there any reason why someone would want to do that?

If this is a Mimby v1, is there any way to upgrade it to v2? In any case, I'm assuming v2 is the one to get, is this correct?

any tips you can share before I pull the trigger will be greatly appreciated.
You can upgrade OG Mimby to Version 2 for $299.00 - and even better, you can keep your OG Mimby too! Talk about a great upgrade deal. :sweat_smile:

Mimby is not a field or factory upgradable DAC. You can change out the bios chip if it's a really old Mimby - fixes an inaudible issue at -95dB(ish).

Mimby V1 has its own charm, so I suggest... get both. :ksc75smile:

Feb 7, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #110,057 of 150,121
Modi MB OG just needs an EEPROM chip to get the update. NOT to Modi MB 2 but rather to Modi MB OG v2. There's a way to tell if it's updated or not but you'll have to google it because I don't remember what it was. If it's v1, contact Schiit - I bet they have a bunch of those eeprom chips. The chips are plug and play - just pull the top off.

Feb 7, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #110,058 of 150,121
bcowen,

Have you ever had any of your MC's retipped by a 3rd party? If so, were you pleased with the results?

I haven't gone down that path yet, but am thinking about it, being a cheap SOB budget constrained.
Van den Hul did one for me about 15-17 years ago for a Lyra Parnassus - and it was a fine job. They are still active - see ebay - 100% positive. SoundSmith is probably the biggest outfit, but I have no first hand experience.

Feb 7, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #110,060 of 150,121
I think we are all missing out! I saw this announcement yesterday: "Ansuz Acoustics proudly introduces their new flagship series of audio cables and power distributors - Ansuz Gold Signature."
The cost, you ask? A 3 meter power cable is a mere $68,000.
Spendthrift. Who needs a 3 meter power cable? I’d bet the far more common 2 meter length is only $67,000. Much more reasonable. :smile: :smile:

Feb 7, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #110,061 of 150,121
Spendthrift. Who needs a 3 meter power cable? I’d bet the far more common 2 meter length is only $67,000. Much more reasonable. :smile: :smile:
Yes, because these days it's mainly the labor you pay for, not so much the materials. And let's not forget that there's entire WEEKS of r+d that went into the product. That, too, has to be covered somehow.

Feb 7, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #110,062 of 150,121
For those of you who routinely compare vinyl to digital, do pressings of modern recordings have that dynamic range compression crap showing up on the vinyl version too?

There are some great albums I never listen to like Tony Bennett and Diana Krall "Love is Here to Stay". The recording sounds like ass and the "audio engineer" who did it should be shot for ruining such a great opportunity.

Feb 7, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #110,063 of 150,121
I think we are all missing out! I saw this announcement yesterday: "Ansuz Acoustics proudly introduces their new flagship series of audio cables and power distributors - Ansuz Gold Signature."
The cost, you ask? A 3 meter power cable is a mere $68,000.
I’m a big fan of better cables but that stuff should be embarrassing. I know there are idiots who will pay it but thankfully not many.

Currently I’m enjoying the engineering feats of Iconoclast cable. They’re not necessarily cheap cables but I feel that they bring a component level of performance and considering the labor involved are not too unreasonably
Priced. Some may disagree and that’s understandable.

Feb 7, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #110,064 of 150,121
Feb 7, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #110,066 of 150,121
Currently I’m enjoying the engineering feats of Iconoclast cable.
I did not pickup their highest end cables- but through the same Iconoclast site you can get the BAV 1313A speaker cable which I am very happy with. I also ordered some custom REL compatible high-level input cables through them as well (to replace the very long 30' cable that ships with the REL).

Feb 7, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #110,067 of 150,121
Please allow me to introduce the newest addition to my permanent collection of Schiit:

IMG_4594.jpeg

This OG Asgard (Yep, OG. As in: non-2, non-3, just plain Asgard!) is a recent eBay find. Was listed as "mint condition but not working, parts only." And since the OG Asgard has a relatively simple topology (and should thus be relatively easy for me to diagnose) and is entirely through-hole (and thus it's relatively easy to replace components) I thought to myself: Neat, an amp I can screw around with and practice on! And so I clicked "buy now."

Two days later, the box arrives at my door.
I open it up…
Inside the generic USPS box, I am greeted by a manual that looks so pristine, it might just as well have been printed last week. The power chord still has all the tags and labels on it. And what's that in the little plastic ziplock bag, next to that ¼" to 3.5mm adapter? Wait, are those the original stick-on feet, still unused?

Then I lift the amp out of the box, flanked on both sides by what looks like the original foam, neatly wrapped inside its original plastic sleeve. The plastic sleeve was clearly opened before, but with so much care that the Schiit seal/sticker still looked almost brand new, too.

I take the amp out of the sleeve — and can barely believe my eyes. The thing looks brand new. No, seriously, not a single scratch, not one ding, no glue residue where any stick-on feet may have been—nothing! Not a single mark or any indication of use anywhere to be found.

Wow, someone must have really treasured this thing. Too bad that it eventually broke and they had to part ways with it.

Maybe I can already get a rough idea why it broke. If the prior owner let the magic smoke out, I should at least see some "schiit stains," or maybe a blown or bloated cap or something?

So I open the thing up for a quick first glance.

Nothing.

Other than what looks like ten years worth of dust, of course. But that's nothing a few strategically applied puffs of canned air can't fix.

But the rest? Looks absolutely pristine. No blown or even just slightly bloated caps, no schiit stains, no scorched resistors or diodes, no…
…wait…
…what's that…

…no, that can't possibly be it, can it?

Right there, next to the power socket, it stares me right in the face: The fuse, one end still squarely where it belongs, but the other end popped straight up and out of its holder!?
And so I take the fuse out entirely, bend the two prongs of the fuse holder's one pole that got a bit loose back together again to give it back it's original clamping force, and snap the fuse back into place.

Well, let's see if this fixed it…

So I grab my trusty variac, plug everything in, switch everything on — and slooooowly raise the voltage.
20V…
40V…
60V…no magic smoke yet!
80V…
*click* — There's the relay for the muting circuit! So I guess the amp is still able to put itself into what it thinks should be proper operating conditions.
100V…
120V…
Hm. Gets a little toasty around the transistors. But that's par for the course with class A, so I take this as a good sign. Still no smoke, either!

OK, then. So far, so good.
I switch everything back off.

Next step: Signal generator and scope.
Let's put a sine wave in at one end and see what comes out the other.
Hm… Both channels look perfectly clean. And both show the same gain characteristics.
Neat!

Well, let's try an actual audio signal. So into my "cheap ass schiit" test chain it goes.

Hm. Sounds good to me…
Well, "good" within the limits of the relatively "meh" components that I use for that test chain.

Should I dare try this thing with my main headphone chain? Let's try Gumby first, but still just the cheap headphones I don't care about.

Works just fine.

So, up the ladder of "dearness" I go with my headphones, one by one…
Still perfectly fine.

And so now here we are: A basically "brand new" OG Asgard has joined my collection of Schiit. Sounds magnificent, too!

I just hope the original owner doesn't read this thread. I'd rather he didn't know that he parted with a perfectly good amp that he clearly treasured for a long, long time.

A question for @Jason Stoddard: With a serial number in the 950s, how old would you guess might this OG Asgard be? I don't assume it's one of the VERY early ones that were built at your house, though, right?
The original Asgard was my first "real" amp. Along with an UberBiFrost ... Uber I think because it had a USB connection. I was in HP heaven. :)

Feb 7, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #110,068 of 150,121
For those of you who routinely compare vinyl to digital, do pressings of modern recordings have that dynamic range compression crap showing up on the vinyl version too?

There are some great albums I never listen to like Tony Bennett and Diana Krall "Love is Here to Stay". The recording sounds like ass and the "audio engineer" who did it should be shot for ruining such a great opportunity.

If you have a specific recording in mind, check it out on the dynamic range database -- https://dr.loudness-war.info/

In many cases I've found that the vinyl release has a better dynamic range than the CD release. As any example, take a look at Adele's 25:
https://dr.loudness-war.info/?artist=adele&album=25

Cheers,
JC

Feb 7, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #110,069 of 150,121
It's an Audio Technica AT-LP7. Been really happy with it. The price was right! I do wonder if the tonearm isn't rigid enough. Thought I'd read that can affect things, regardless of how much mass you add.

I'll try your other suggestions for sure though!
Just ordered an open box LP7 for $650 as my 43y/o Technics has been on life support for too long. I have a NOS AT440mlb I’m looking to try on it but will give the OEM cart a go. A 103 is definitely in my future.

Feb 7, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #110,070 of 150,121
I’m a big fan of better cables but that stuff should be embarrassing. I know there are idiots who will pay it but thankfully not many.

Currently I’m enjoying the engineering feats of Iconoclast cable. They’re not necessarily cheap cables but I feel that they bring a component level of performance and considering the labor involved are not too unreasonably
Priced. Some may disagree and that’s understandable.
But do they look toadishly cool?

ORT Thee Shallow :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back