Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 7, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #110,071 of 148,520
And then there was the horrid..."Ghostbusters". Total Garbahge? Yup. And they never stop because they are incapable of making something worthy of being original. So they remake the past in their own worthless image. Once in a while they get it right. I've own and have seen the remake of "True Grit" and it was good. I have the remake of "3:10 to Yuma" but can not bring my self to watch it, even after several years.

It is like when they remaster an album. Does the remaster past the muster of our memories...Or not?

- Certainly the 2007 remaster of 'Seconds Out ' ( Genesis live album ) is very different to the original , for example Bill Bruford was the co drummer /percussionist on some of the album and on the ' Cinema Show ' instrumental section the re-master has bought forward his percussion to be heard alongside Phil Collins drums - totally absent on the original release - in fact the percussion as a whole is better delivered on the re- master

Feb 7, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #110,072 of 148,520
I think we are all missing out! I saw this announcement yesterday: "Ansuz Acoustics proudly introduces their new flagship series of audio cables and power distributors - Ansuz Gold Signature."
The cost, you ask? A 3 meter power cable is a mere $68,000.
While I buy into some stuff that makes ABX'ers go crazy, this isn't one. Around 1995 blind AB'd a $5k 5ft cord vs a $250 used (500 new), and a $20 Belden on a $75k system, and even the promoter of these could not tell them apart.

BTW, check out the path from the power generator, across cables, to the local distribution node, to your home/apt, then to the breaker box, through the building. Check for plugs out of phase, and rodent damage to the insulation, to the plug. And a "magik" piece of wire just knows how to cure any and all issues, and deliver 120 VAC dead on steady with no phase issues and no spikes - forever. That's one amazing item.

Feb 7, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #110,073 of 148,520
I’m a big fan of better cables but that stuff should be embarrassing. I know there are idiots who will pay it but thankfully not many.

Currently I’m enjoying the engineering feats of Iconoclast cable. They’re not necessarily cheap cables but I feel that they bring a component level of performance and considering the labor involved are not too unreasonably
Priced. Some may disagree and that’s understandable.

BuiltInterconnectDNMPhonosicon.jpg

Its why I favour DNM cables -solid core soft copper , 4 strands spaced on a plastic ribbon - sound great and very neutral , look weird , weigh next to nothing , basic rca plugs and inexpensive too - 0.5mtr pair rca to rca under £25.00 to make up yourself - important to use a heat source to strip the plastic insulation , not a blade !- or about £35.00 made up by DNM - ( I do not work for nor do I have any financial connection to DNM whatsoever btw )

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #110,074 of 148,520
For those of you who routinely compare vinyl to digital, do pressings of modern recordings have that dynamic range compression crap showing up on the vinyl version too?

There are some great albums I never listen to like Tony Bennett and Diana Krall "Love is Here to Stay". The recording sounds like ass and the "audio engineer" who did it should be shot for ruining such a great opportunity.

The vinyl master may be different from the CD master, given the limits of the medium - one shouldn’t put clipped crap in those grooves! But it depends on the release. Check out https://www.sageaudio.com/blog/mastering/what-is-mastering-for-vinyl.php

Vinylheads sometimes pay extra for carefully crafted reissues. Look for the 45rpm UHQR “A Kind Of Blue” which also fixed a a tape speed issue (first time in vinyl)

If you have a specific recording in mind, check it out on the dynamic range database -- https://dr.loudness-war.info/

In many cases I've found that the vinyl release has a better dynamic range than the CD release. As any example, take a look at Adele's 25:
https://dr.loudness-war.info/?artist=adele&album=25
Nice example!

Feb 7, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #110,075 of 148,520
- Certainly the 2007 remaster of 'Seconds Out ' ( Genesis live album ) is very different to the original , for example Bill Bruford was the co drummer /percussionist on some of the album and on the ' Cinema Show ' instrumental section the re-master has bought forward his percussion to be heard alongside Phil Collins drums - totally absent on the original release - in fact the percussion as a whole is better delivered on the re- master
Seeing Genesis with my favorite drummer of all time - Bruford, was a really great memory.

Back to remixes - can't say all are worse, or better, but if you are a fan of: Crimson, Yes, Tull, etc. the Steve Wilson remixes range anywhere from better to stupendous. Seemingly Wilson doesn't do Genesis which is a pity because I could get into some remixes of almost all the stuff they made, Gabriel too.

Feb 7, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #110,076 of 148,520
I think we are all missing out! I saw this announcement yesterday: "Ansuz Acoustics proudly introduces their new flagship series of audio cables and power distributors - Ansuz Gold Signature."
$68.000.00, eh! I'm glad I'm retired from the hobby. Won't have to sell a body organ to buy them out of FOMO :beyersmile:

Feb 7, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #110,077 of 148,520
Seeing Genesis with my favorite drummer of all time - Bruford, was a really great memory.

Back to remixes - can't say all are worse, or better, but if you are a fan of: Crimson, Yes, Tull, etc. the Steve Wilson remixes range anywhere from better to stupendous. Seemingly Wilson doesn't do Genesis which is a pity because I could get into some remixes of almost all the stuff they made, Gabriel too.
Steven Wilson does a good job at - de- compressing the compressed - being his trade mark !! most of the 2007 Genesis remixes (box set with DVD's inc Genesis in concert from the seconds out tour ) are an improvement, especially 'The lamb lies down on Broadway ' and the prev unreleased Live at the rainbow

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #110,078 of 148,520
If anyone wants to bring one, we can blind test it at the Schiitrmeet on Thursday.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 7, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #110,079 of 148,520
:dt880smile:

Feb 7, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #110,080 of 148,520
I don't know if you'd enjoy any of this music, but I absolutely love the way they record jazz. Available only on CD AFAIK.
Nice!

From the site:
TUM Records is a Finnish record company that released its first recordings in May 2003. TUM Records aims to produce high-quality music recordings and selectively organize concerts and events, including the more or less annual TUMfest in Helsinki.

The focus of TUM Records is on improvised, jazz-based music, placing particular emphasis on free expression and the performing artists´ own music. In addition to providing younger musicians with exposure and a musical platform, TUM Records also promotes more experienced musicians whose work is not favored by the commercial trends of our time, despite the fact that these musicians have a lot to offer musically.

Although TUM Records operates on ordinary commercial principles, profit is not its goal. TUM Records´ objective is to use the proceeds from the sale of music recordings and organizing concerts for the production and publishing of new music. For this reason, TUM Records´ operations are mostly based on volunteer work and the company seeks to collaborate with other entities interested in advancing and fostering the production, performance and recording of improvised music.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #110,083 of 148,520
For those of you who routinely compare vinyl to digital, do pressings of modern recordings have that dynamic range compression crap showing up on the vinyl version too?

There are some great albums I never listen to like Tony Bennett and Diana Krall "Love is Here to Stay". The recording sounds like ass and the "audio engineer" who did it should be shot for ruining such a great opportunity.
I rarely buy current releases on vinyl. I do buy reissued/remastered LP's of stuff that I wasn't able to appreciate in my youth.

I figure that if something was recorded digitally, why not replay it back that way too?

That being said, I did buy Brian Eno and Weyes Blood's newest releases on vinyl. They both sound superb.

I had to get the Weyes Blood LP, "And in the Darkness, Hearts Aglow." It was the first thing I saw coming through the door of the record store, after an extended absence. I think that our @OldRoadToad would like this album. Many of the songs sound like 70's SoCal/Laurel Canyon, for those of you who may not be familiar with this release.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #110,084 of 148,520
While I buy into some stuff that makes ABX'ers go crazy, this isn't one. Around 1995 blind AB'd a $5k 5ft cord vs a $250 used (500 new), and a $20 Belden on a $75k system, and even the promoter of these could not tell them apart.

BTW, check out the path from the power generator, across cables, to the local distribution node, to your home/apt, then to the breaker box, through the building. Check for plugs out of phase, and rodent damage to the insulation, to the plug. And a "magik" piece of wire just knows how to cure any and all issues, and deliver 120 VAC dead on steady with no phase issues and no spikes - forever. That's one amazing item.
There you go applying logic where it doesn't belong. :D

Feb 7, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #110,085 of 148,520
Just ordered an open box LP7 for $650 as my 43y/o Technics has been on life support for too long. I have a NOS AT440mlb I’m looking to try on it but will give the OEM cart a go. A 103 is definitely in my future.
Oh nice! You'll have to let us know how you like it. I was on a 1200 before the LP7, and it was quite an upgrade sonically to me.

Personally I was not a fan of the stock cart tho. Very clinical sounding to me.

But as you probably saw it will take some work to get the 103 to sound right on the LP7! Worth it tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back