Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 22, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #108,871 of 155,078
Thought I would reply to the folks here especially ORT, Bcowen and Paladin79. I want to thank you guys for giving me the thought to chase old school products Thanks to Jason, Mike, Dave and Ivana for manufacturing really cool newer products. They look nice and sound better especially in the dark. Have been listening to a cool Ella box set I purchased from my favorite local indie record store (Stinkweeds) check them out. I also picked up the bluray of Mars Attacks... Nuff Said...
Ella! The First Lady of Song. A National Treasure she was and remains. Huzzah, indeed! :beerchug:
You are in Aridzona?! Hello the house! My favorite state but then I reside in caliphonia. I visit Tucson when I can and I also enjoy Tombstone and Bisby and...Yup! Ramblin' again.

Goodnight all. And in truth, it is my hope we hear soon from our loverly AudioGal. She is family here. And so too, are you Chuck!

Jan 22, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #108,872 of 155,078
Ella! The First Lady of Song. A National Treasure she was and remains. Huzzah, indeed! :beerchug:
You are in Aridzona?! Hello the house! My favorite state but then I reside in caliphonia. I visit Tucson when I can and I also enjoy Tombstone and Bisby and...Yup! Ramblin' again.

Goodnight all. And in truth, it is my hope we hear soon from our loverly AudioGal. She is family here. And so too, are you Chuck!

Bed for me soon as well. First more audio, books that is.🤪🤪

Jan 23, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #108,874 of 155,078
I remember that, plus having to change laserdiscs during a movie
That was by design. 4 Intermissions, at least per movie. Bathroom break, fill up yer glass, grab a(nother) snack :)

I wish had kept my player and discs :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #108,875 of 155,078
@Paladin79

A tube dac won? Knowing you I would have been suprised with any other outcome.

Congrats, and enjoy.
Most people in my audio group prefer tubes as well but it is hard to say how many picked up on that during a blind listen, that would be another comparison down the road.
Once again I used the same test music my group uses, scored each DAC and then put on Beethoven's 9th symphony as well as other selections I knew well and just could not get past the great tube output stage. I would not be unhappy owning any of the final five DACS and they were not very far apart. In this round the OG Yggy + came in third. I did not want to open up the Doge to change tubes since it belonged to someone else. I had permission on the PrimaLuna. I started with tube audio when I was 13 and this makes a great final system for me. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #108,876 of 155,078
Most people in my audio group prefer tubes as well but it is hard to say how many picked up on that during a blind listen, that would be another comparison down the road.
Once again I used the same test music my group uses, scored each DAC and then put on Beethoven's 9th symphony as well as other selections I knew well and just could not get past the great tube output stage. I would not be unhappy owning any of the final five DACS and they were not very far apart. In this round the OG Yggy + came in third. I did not want to open up the Doge to change tubes since it belonged to someone else. I had permission on the PrimaLuna. I started with tube audio when I was 13 and this makes a great final system for me. :ksc75smile:
I doubt that this will be your final system. Who knows what developments in sound reproduction might cause you to change gear? After all, you are not that old!

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #108,877 of 155,078
I doubt that this will be your final system. Who knows what developments in sound reproduction might cause you to change gear? After all, you are not that old!
We will see lol. Like I said I may swap out my transport for an URD, I might change tone arm and cartridge on my turntable. Little things like that. :ksc75smile:

Something I probably should mention and it is probably without merit. Perhaps specific brands sound better together like a Yggy sounding better with a Schiit solid state amp. One still finished as my third choice out of the final five.🤪

I like a Gungnir with a Freya + but I still prefer a tube power amp.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #108,878 of 155,078
Respectfully disagree;
There's also "Just 'cuz I want to..."
and "Why the heck not?"
Not to mention...
"Hold My beer" as in:
012123holdmybeer.jpg
Reminds me of those words of wisdom, "Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder."

Jawoll!!

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #108,879 of 155,078
My Mitsubishi was S-VHS Hi-Fi too. A good sounding player, except I was never a big fan of tape based formats. Even digital. Tape is just so easily damaged.

Aha, VHS, that is how I started my HiFi illness. After enjoying a lot the cassettes the VHS quality was awesome to hear and so much on one tape :)

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #108,880 of 155,078
Very good! We got ours in 2013. If memory serves, it had almost exactly 10,000 hours on it when the board died.
Like plasma (remember the Kuros?) but 3D is awful!

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #108,881 of 155,078
Like plasma (remember the Kuros?) but 3D is awful!
I liked 3D and still use it. My TV will simulate 3D on any program or movie so my sci fi group really enjoyed seeing 2001 A Space Odyssey in 3D. I have also seen movies in theatres on the East coast using dual laser 3 D projectors and enjoyed that experience as well. :ksc75smile: Imax I believe.

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #108,882 of 155,078
I liked 3D and still use it. My TV will simulate 3D on any program or movie so my sci fi group really enjoyed seeing 2001 A Space Odyssey in 3D. I have also seen movies in theatres on the East coast using dual laser 3 D projectors and enjoyed that experience as well. :ksc75smile: Imax I believe.
I can't get used to it. Never forget my son, when he was toddler, took of his 3D carton glasses and watched Cars like that 🤣

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #108,883 of 155,078
I can't get used to it. Never forget my son, when he was toddler, took of his 3D carton glasses and watched Cars like that 🤣
Yeah as I recall some folks cannot watch it at all so I totally understand your point of view. And some systems for TV were better than others. I happened to get the 3D versions of movies from @FLTWS when I purchased other items so I watched movies like Everest in 3D recently

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #108,884 of 155,078
RME ADI-2? If so yes but it did better in our comparison 4 years ago.

We had right at $52,000 worth of DACs and 16 choices, I thought the selection decent. I have no interest in spending $20-$50k on a single DAC.
Me neither, for 20-50K I got other priorities on the list.
So the real 100 bucks DAC that was a DOA got the second chance (great service by the french btw) and the DAC sounds very good indeed. Made my self an over the top tv-speaker with it: optical out -> xduoo mu-602 -> old 300W mono power amps -> two old vanMedevoort speakers (DD6.5) on their side under the TV.

When the netflix N is coming up and you re not paying attention you fall off the couch - hey suddenly there are dynamics !!

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #108,885 of 155,078
This was the reporting on CNN's website this morning -- incorrect! Sorry, @Ripper2860

CNN Jan 23 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back