Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 22, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #108,856 of 155,083
Thought I would reply to the folks here especially ORT, Bcowen and Paladin79. I want to thank you guys for giving me the thought to chase old school products Thanks to Jason, Mike, Dave and Ivana for manufacturing really cool newer products. They look nice and sound better especially in the dark. Have been listening to a cool Ella box set I purchased from my favorite local indie record store (Stinkweeds) check them out. I also picked up the bluray of Mars Attacks... Nuff Said...

Attachments

• Ella.jpg
    Ella.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • new1.jpg
    new1.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • What.jpg
    What.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 0
Jan 22, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #108,857 of 155,083
Jan 22, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #108,858 of 155,083
First will be $3500 or so for the DAC.🤪
Kevin Deal will be pleased. 😉

I was on the sidelines, trying to guess what you might choose. The PrimaLuna wasn't even on my radar. Color me surprised.😮

Jan 22, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #108,859 of 155,083
I suspected it would be the Doge or Prima Luna. The tube force is strong with Tom. 😀

Jan 22, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #108,860 of 155,083

I was on the sidelines, trying to guess what you might choose. The PrimaLuna wasn't even on my radar. Color me surprised.😮
It was number 3 overall but had great synergy with my main amp, also a PrimaLuna. Once I heard them together there was no contest but then I like tube sound. I subbed in some of my own favorite tubes and it had me.

Jan 22, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #108,861 of 155,083

How subjectively and objectively is a $3.5k DAC better than any of the Schiit DACs?

And… even if decided it sounds better at decision time, will it survive the ‘catastrophe theory’ blip and still sound better say a month or two later?

Jan 22, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #108,862 of 155,083
I suspected it would be the Doge or Prima Luna. The tube force is strong with Tom. 😀
The Doge was great but my second choice was the Aqua.

Jan 22, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #108,863 of 155,083
How subjectively and objectively is a $3.5k DAC better than any of the Schiit DACs?

And… even if decided it sounds better at decision time, will it survive the ‘catastrophe theory’ blip and still sound better say a month or two later?
You are asking questions without answers. This was my choice, my gear, my room, my ears. Why did a $6,000 DAC not impress me more? It just didn’t.🤪🤪 Each of us has the right to make our own choices.
A Schiit DAC did very well. The Doge sells under another name for over $5k as best I recall.

I cannot keep all the DAC’s for a month or two so the last part does not matter.

Oh and I own two Schiit DACS, I also had a multibit card in a LYR 3.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #108,866 of 155,083
No question. Just curious about the journey.
I explained the journey as best I could. My top five and the opinion of 45 other people were nearly the same. I took the top five home and gave each a long listen and chose my favorite on my main speakers and amp, turntable, transport, and streaming service.

Jan 22, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #108,867 of 155,083
But I vouch by the reaction predicted by catastrophe theory. That blip encountered when a new component is considered is real. The question is how long does the effect last? Been there many times.
It’s not for me, have fun.🤪🤪

Jan 22, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #108,868 of 155,083
You are asking questions without answers. This was my choice, my gear, my room, my ears. Why did a $6,000 DAC not impress me more? It just didn’t.🤪🤪 Each of us has the right to make our own choices.
A Schiit DAC did very well. The Doge sells under another name for over $5k as best I recall.

I cannot keep all the DAC’s for a month or two so the last part does not matter.
Was an ADI-2 DAC fs tested? I got one, not because I thought it was a superior DAC, but because I find it to be an incredible piece of engineering. My primary system has the Gungnir, but I love playing with the capabilities of the ADI on my desktop system.

Jan 22, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #108,869 of 155,083
Was an ADI-2 DAC fs tested? I got one, not because I thought it was a superior DAC, but because I find it to be an incredible piece of engineering. My primary system has the Gungnir, but I love playing with the capabilities of the ADI on my desktop system.
RME ADI-2? If so yes but it did better in our comparison 4 years ago.

We had right at $52,000 worth of DACs and 16 choices, I thought the selection decent. I have no interest in spending $20-$50k on a single DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #108,870 of 155,083
What am I missing? I found Andor to be OK, the Mandalorian is cute but otherwise pretty bad, and Boba Fett was just absolutely ghastly.
If you are a fan of the Japanese film series "Lone Wolf and Cub" you might have enjoyed The Mandalorian more. Boba Fett is good but not as good as The Mandalorian. Obi-Wan Kenobi was good too but there was some stuff that was just too, too, tooooo stoopid. LOL! After The Mandalorian, I enjoyed Andor the most.

It okay not to like some thing. It is just your personal preference. I should know as there are a great many TV "shows" I would (almost) sooner listen to Hick-Hop (aka "new country, UGH!) than view. Nah. I would do neither as I am an adult and loathe such fare. I call it all "White Trash TV" but believe me, the dross knows no boundaries of pigmentation/height/weight/and mental morass. LCD. Lowest Common Denominator.

ORT the Philosophe :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back