Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 12, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #10,666 of 155,068

At the risk of getting back On Topic, I'm still hoping Schiit will be at THEShow Newport, with a Ygg/Rag/speakers system. After the Stereophile review, there has to be a lot of interest. So why pass up a chance to fly the Schiit flag?

(I dunno if there actually is a Schiit flag - but if you're making one up, guys, please by all that is holy do not make it brown. The Jolly Roger would be appropriate, just put phones on the skull. And instead of crossed bones, a bow and a flute. Or a Stratocaster and a Sax [RIP Doug.])

Imagine the lobby banners - "Scrape the Schiit off your shoes in Room 215." Or "Get an earful of Schiit in Room 342."

But what speakers? Someone suggested Salk, but last I checked they won't be at THEShow either. You need something that is detailed and can throw a good soundstage, which will showcase Rag's strengths. But not "analytical," which has become audiophile code for over-emphasized high freqs. Also should have good bass, so no need for a sub. And should be reasonably efficient, since we are dealing with 60 wpc here.

I'd like to hear it with the new small Wilsons. Yeah, they're boutique priced. But what better way to demonstrate just how impressively Rag punches above its weight class?

We will be there...late-breaking decision prompted by enthusiastic staff. Just a speaker room with Ragnarok and Yggdrasil. I may stop by on Saturday.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 12, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #10,668 of 155,068

Too funny! I think I'll stick with the old toothless biker bunch. Much more fun!

Ooof.  The expression "bugs in your teeth" from grinning bikers on runs is not without cause, to say the least.  And without that filter mechanism in place for this geriatric fun loving crowd, I think that coprophagists might herald the new protein rich "bugs in schiit" trail offerings. 

May 12, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #10,669 of 155,068

Coprophagist, 

I had to look that one up, never heard or read it before.

Basically a **** eater!  

I'll pass on your "new" Energy Bar concept but -

give you full marks for Satire! 

My thought might be expressed as "**** Faced", which I've been plenty of times over the last Century ( but not this Century with my 19year AA coin firmly in hand ) although I'm still an Ass-hole ( kinda ), my Psychiatrist encourages me to be "true to myself". I think the Record Player Analog people will agree with me on this. 

By the way, I just discovered Simon Trpceski the Piano Virtuoso that played Liszt for us at the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.  I haven't heard the DSO sound this good in 45 years.  

I'll be watching the Newport proceedings, glad the Schiit kids wanna do it, hope they get Awards, fingers crossed.  Stereophile is gonna have three guys there ( maybe more ). I'd have a Blonde Bombshell at the door handing out Dixie cups of 25 year single Malt. I'd even try for a painted Blond Bombshell like the Germans have at their Car Shows.  I'd have Schiit the "Talk of the Show" !!

Tony in Michigan

May 12, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #10,671 of 155,068

Coprophagist, 

I had to look that one up, never heard or read it before.

Basically a **** eater!  

I'll pass on your "new" Energy Bar concept but -

give you full marks for Satire! 

My thought might be expressed as "**** Faced", which I've been plenty of times over the last Century ( but not this Century with my 19year AA coin firmly in hand ) although I'm still an Ass-hole ( kinda ), my Psychiatrist encourages me to be "true to myself". I think the Record Player Analog people will agree with me on this. 

There's actually a large contingency of such critters in the animal world.  Basically, the lot of plant eating single stomach (non-ruminant) mammals fall in this category.  For some species it's their main source of protein in their diet (intestinal bacteria).  Rabbits for one.  Bugs Bunny prolly qualifies as the poster child for wearing his trademark **** eating grin.

As well as some humans that I've had the occasion to anoint so.  Usually pitched above their sapience level for my own private amusement, much like the atavism descriptor I've also applied liberally, tho the 2 groups aren't necessarily coincident nor mutually exclusive.  
wink.gif

May 12, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #10,672 of 155,068

Mr.Jacal, 

It's taken me 15 minutes or more to discover your intended meanings.  Sapience, atavism,ruminant, hmm, you must be some sort of Biologist with a Dictionary.   

I could take you on by opening up my Oxford English Dictionary ( in all it's volumes ) and swamp our boat with $25 dollar words but I'm not smart enough to end up the winner. 

If you care to discuss the Foundations of Western Civilizations  or the Dead Sea Scrolls, I'll engage.  I've studied China's past 7 Centuries but know very little about Mother Russia's last 300 years. 

With atavism are you suggesting we are regressing to an ancestral level of evolution by riding those noisy Harleys with no helmet or windshield?  Neanderthal for example .

Tony in Michigan   ( with a hurting head from doing all that over-the-

top sapience reciprocal type thinking ) 

May 12, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #10,675 of 155,068
@tonykaz:

Not really, but I have to admit that I do enjoy reading the dictionary on occasion.  Etymology and archaic words (like consideration :wink: ) are a particular interest of mine.  And I went thru a phase when I designed a few theme crossword puzzles for giggles and schiits (like sapient, salient, and sentient were in one, now that I mention it :wink: ).  My favorite was the aboriginal indian dwellings themed one, tho I never could rediscover the name for the paleo native home built with mammoth bones on the Siberian steppes after seeing it once in Jean Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear book series.

Not to be accused of bombasticism or anything here
biggrin.gif
, but atavistic just means throwback, in all its connotations. 

But if Foundations of Western Civilizations is your forte, then there's a book on early European peninsular history, Europe Between the Oceans: 9000 BC-AD 1000, that you may similarly find a fascinating read.  Especially in your apparently expanding leisure time.

But hey, I did just post an on-topic response over on Mike's thread, for counterbalance argument sake. 
tongue.gif

May 12, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #10,676 of 155,068

Mr. AudioBear,

What is the Topic?   Something about doing Mods? 

The most effective way to mod a piece of Schiit is to buy some of those hundred dollar Russian Tubes, doesn't everyone already know that ?, whats to discuss?   Pretty hard to improve on an already improved 2 version of darn good, isn't it? 

The 3 versions ain't a'cummin any time soon, are they?   

I'd like to see ( and own ) an Asgard 3, in single twin triode rollable configuration, linear or non-linear Power supply, able to heat a pair of those big French single triodes, but I can wait, I ain't going anywhere (soon).  

Nobody's posting cause there ain't much to say about modding, 

Of course we could discuss a possible slogan for Schiit, hmm, like :  "Make Audio Great Again" a concept which seems to be working for our most colorful Billionaire !     

But we'd have to buy enough Schiit gear for our favorite designer to have a Big Jet Airplane and helicopter .  

Yes, lets get back on topic, by all means.  

Can anyone recommend a mod to make my Asgard2 sound better? ,  I'm all Ears !  ( or should that be Eyes? ) , a penny for your thoughts.

Tony in Michigan

May 12, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #10,678 of 155,068

Jacal,

Words are fascinating, they contain our entire culture and history, I think.  Learn the lexicon and a person learns the discipline.   

England has societies of folks like you, they even have regular half hour weekly BBC TV shows.  I lived there and watched these types of shows. ( not that I'm a pointy headed intellectual ) 

USA TV and Marketing people try to stay with 4 letter words at the 4th grade level, which is kinda embarrassing for me to defend ( when I'm in Europe ) . 

I'll have a look for "Between the Oceans", might be another good discovery lurking.  

I'm heading over to Baldr's to see your post.  

I'm ignoring Paleo for now, I'm hoping to find a good understanding of Russia and Peter the Great's great expansion East, so far I've only a Chinese description of those 300 years. My Grandfather was part of the Trans-Siberian Railroad Build.  Geez, even Hitler and the Germans knew very little of what existed East of Moscow, ( boy did they get a surprise ).  

Panama is building a new Canal.  Our Army corp of Engineers are getting half of the project, a European outfit is getting the other half.  It's gonna be 300' wide.  Wow!!  ( love to be in on this , somehow )

Tony in Michigan

May 12, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #10,679 of 155,068

Mr. AudioBear,

What is the Topic?   Something about doing Mods? 

I have no idea and don't really care, just having fun with Jason's ironic attempt to talk about the whole Schiity story of the world's most improbable start-up in the thread he started.

​I'd much rather talk about coprophytes and how much stuff has been written about paleo social practices.  

May 13, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #10,680 of 155,068
I just read "Under A Bridge With Dick And Harry"

It went from aardvaark to zymotic zorils, but I found the plot significantly more than just dry........   
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back