Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 18, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #103,247 of 150,783
He has a tour starting here in early February, then on to NC and Georgia. He has been a big benefactor to the university and can often be seen at IU’s basketball games. When I won a steak dinner and bottle of wine from @bcowen I took my wife to the same restaurant where Mellencamp took Billy Joel when he was in town.🤪🤪
About that steak dinner from bcowen: I am hoping that the steak tasted like cardboard just to keep you two on a level playing field. Can you comment on that please???

Nov 18, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #103,248 of 150,783
About that steak dinner from bcowen: I am hoping that the steak tasted like cardboard just to keep you two on a level playing field. Can you comment on that please???
Well the wine did come in a cardboard box.🤪🤪

Seriously though he was so gracious I sent him two bottles of wine in a cardboard box. He may have preserved that.😁

I may have spent $1,000 in preparation for the bet.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #103,249 of 150,783
What were you selling?
Paradigm, Quad, Wharfdale, Allison Acoustics,
Custom made speaker (Visa, Dayton, Dynaududio, Eminence).

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #103,250 of 150,783
One time, working in Qatar, I had construction manager who was from Glasgow. It took me about 3 weeks to START understanding a little bit of what he said. Even after a year I didn't understand him completely. He was an extreme example though.
And then there are Aberdonians… And their addiction to alcohol (as a group) does nae improve upon their intelligibility. The most interesting Aberdonian I’ve ever listened to was Dame Evelyn Glennie, who lost her hearing at a young age, but still speaks in perfect dialect. And that was one helluva concert, too!

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #103,251 of 150,783
Budweiser is like making love in a canoe !! - or as we Brits call it Dudweiser
But the czech(?) Budweiser ain’t half bad! And the way I learnt it was “Love in a small boat beer”, but they both translate to the same thing!

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #103,252 of 150,783
And by the way, my question was not meant to be a joke, I am sincerely interested in what speakers were being sold by the Chesky demos.
I took it that way...

Some manufacturers relied on using Chesky test discs to show off how a pair of speakers could create "surround" (the Brazilian Dancers).

Nov 19, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #103,254 of 150,783
An article people here might like: https://harpers.org/archive/2022/12/corner-club-cathedral-cocoon-audiophilia-and-its-discontents/

Kudos to Jason and everyone at Schiit for creating entry points to this experience. Without my first Schiit stack, I never would have known.
An interesting article. I was fortunate enough to work with a couple people from the Klipsch engineering center that is located about an hour from me. Manufacturing is still done in Arkansas.

I am pursuing what should be my final system with plenty of tubes involved. I may opt for an URD one day after I concentrate on a DAC upgrade.

I started with tube gear and will go out that way, much of my early gear was Dynaco, their kits allowed audio enthusiasts to save money as does Bottlehead today but assembly is not for everyone and Schiit does supply great entry level products as well as the ability to move up to finer gear.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #103,255 of 150,783
Paradigm, Quad, Wharfdale, Allison Acoustics,
Custom made speaker (Visa, Dayton, Dynaududio, Eminence).
Nice! I always had a fondness for Roy Allison's designs, although I never owned any of his systems. I have a set of Wharfdale 9's I use in the garage while I'm tinkering. :)

Nov 19, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #103,257 of 150,783
Is the Heretic similar to the short lived IEMagni? I still use that one in my office.
I think Heretic would be more like upgrade to Heresy I think. Basically measure as good as possible.

Though the new Magni+ has 3 gain stages now, so it would be somewhat like IEMagni I think.

It has -8db, 0db, +14db gain selection.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #103,259 of 150,783
But the czech(?) Budweiser ain’t half bad! And the way I learnt it was “Love in a small boat beer”, but they both translate to the same thing!
Its a crime to compare Czechvar to Bud. Its apples to durian.

Nov 19, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #103,260 of 150,783
Nice! I always had a fondness for Roy Allison's designs, although I never owned any of his systems. I have a set of Wharfdale 9's I use in the garage while I'm tinkering. :)
I gave my Allison AL110's to my 14 year-old vinyl loving niece. They have the wide dispersion tweeter and they are designed to be on a shelf close to a wall.

I have biwired Wharfdale Diamond 9's, DM centre and bipolar surrounds (2004) in my media room. I used to be a rep. for Wharfdale and Quad... the 11L is one of my favorite stand mounts ever...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back