Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 10, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #10,231 of 150,333
Quote:Jason Stoddard
 and you have the (redacted) and the (redacted)

Yippee....   The [REDACTED] has twins...........  
beerchug.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #10,234 of 150,333
  I'm really hoping for AES more than S/PDIF, though the protocols are very closely related. AES has the side benefit of being balanced, so it can support longer cable runs if I decide to move some of my stuff a bit further away from my PC.

Have you seen the Gustard U12?

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #10,235 of 150,333
  Have you seen the Gustard U12?

Yes, but for the time being I'm not in the market for a converter. I've decided that the house fund takes priority.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #10,237 of 150,333
  I'm using one between my player and Yggdrasil to convert USB to AES.  It sounds really good.

My brain works that slowly sometimes 
tongue.gif

I just linked the two posts, in my head, this morning. You are exactly where I found the suggestion!

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #10,238 of 150,333
Switch your accountant Jason, the average tax paid by businesses in the USA is less than half of the official figure. I'm not being facetious.

Wikipedia:

The United States has the third highest general top marginal corporate income tax rate in the world at 39.1 percent (consisting of the 35% federal rate and a combined state rate), exceeded only by Chad and the United Arab Emirates .[1] However, the average corporate tax rate in 2011 dipped to 12.1%, its lowest level since before World War I, largely due to the great recession and a bonus depreciation tax break.

That average rate is in the lower half of average effective corporate tax rates among industrialized nations.

So it's like most things: you choose your statistics and complain about marginal rates being too high, or average effective rates being too low, depending on where you stand.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #10,239 of 150,333
Switch your accountant Jason, the average tax paid by businesses in the USA is less than half of the official figure. I'm not being facetious.

Average tax paid =/= marginal rate. Average rate is achieved by throwing boatloads of money at accountants and lawyers with schemes such as IC-DISC trading entities, inversions, tax credit games (see California), etc.--a fundamentally inefficient and burdensome way to do business.

Fact: the USA has the highest marginal corporate tax rate in the developed world.
Fact: this causes lots of time, energy, and expense to be expended to get the average rate down.
Opinion (mine): this is an inefficient system that promotes businesses keeping profits overseas, inversions, and other complexities that divert businesses away from their core goals
Opinion (mine): I'd rather have a simple, single, lower rate with the loopholes/games/etc gone, so I can concentrate on my business, not on complexities.

I will not comment further, as we will quickly get into political stuff that has no business here.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 10, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #10,240 of 150,333
Jason

While I agree that this isn't the place for politics you mentioned the tax rate issue as part of the package of issues that you have to consider before making business decisions.  So it really is relevant in this context even if this is not the place to discuss tax policy per se.

At least for me it was an insight.  The whole story about moving and expanding was a good lesson.  I thought your observations about the psychological impact of unused space were particularly insightful.  

Thanks!  Keep writing but don't let it distract from the release of [redacted], son of [redacted] and evil step sister of [redacted]

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #10,242 of 150,333
  Jason

While I agree that this isn't the place for politics you mentioned the tax rate issue as part of the package of issues that you have to consider before making business decisions.  So it really is relevant in this context even if this is not the place to discuss tax policy per se.

At least for me it was an insight.  The whole story about moving and expanding was a good lesson.  I thought your observations about the psychological impact of unused space were particularly insightful.  

Thanks!  Keep writing but don't let it distract from the release of [redacted], son of [redacted] and evil step sister of [redacted]

There's a whole lot of (redacteds) right now, just nothing especially imminent...

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 10, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #10,243 of 150,333

Not enlarging?, sorry to hear it. 

Caution is a good and useful trait but you may be late.

Bubbles take 10 years to recover, our decade of recovery is about to end.  

Your area has only 2% vacancy now, soon it will be 0% leaving you high & dry. You may feel forced to re-locate to distant places. 

You have a successful if fragile business model, holding back needed investments sends the "I don't believe in my company" message.

I believe in you lads, I'm feeling your stress. You guys are gonna be in the Spotlight and under the Gun from here on out. 

I'd buy 100,000 sq,ft. and lease out, I'd become a Landlord but I have Banking.  

I won't push you lads into anything, you'll find your way, best you can.

Funny how a successful business ends up owning it's owner, my wife has always been jealous of my businesses.

Tony in Michigan

ps.  Tax is like dues to a Country Club.  Tax in Europe will scare any US Citizen.  Plus, we in the US can own Land, a virtual impossibility in Europe.  Warren Buffet says that he pays lower taxes than the girls working in his office ( he claims to be doing their taxes for them ). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back