Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 30, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #102,017 of 150,236
We can thank Peter Jackson for Revolvers remixing/remastering which really means we owe it all to JRR Tolkien for Revolvers refreshing (refreshening?).
You are right @Rensek :beyersmile:

Peter Jackson certainly played a key part in enabling this remix of Revolver, by developing the technology to 'de-mix' the old Four Track tapes.
This recent article in NME is quite interesting:
https://www.nme.com/features/music-...the-remixed-release-with-giles-martin-3334655

Peter Jackson's documentary 'Get Back' is absolutely brilliant!

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #102,018 of 150,236
Oct 30, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #102,020 of 150,236
The new Revolver is amazing. Makes me greedy wanting everything to sound that good.
Where did you buy it or are you streaming it?

Oct 30, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #102,022 of 150,236
6FA448BE-FB36-40D4-8E76-A5DC2692839F.jpegB1FB8C83-0B7E-4848-9783-CE503368338F.jpeg

I went with ebony splines on my turntable plinth and base since the table is all black.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #102,023 of 150,236
I am listening to "Revolver" (the SUPER de Duper DELUXE version) right now. Of course it is coming to me in "ULTRA HD" via Amazon Music and I cannot hear a difference in sound quality but hey, I am not paying extra for the "HiRez" of anything. Right now it is "Paperback Writer (Takes 1&2/Backing Track).

And now for some thing completely honest - As with George Harrison's 50th Anniversary Edition of "All Things Must Pass" , a lot of this would up on the cutting room floor for a reason. This is not to say that there is no value to the music but it is not what I remember from my 8 Track bought at Sears. It is nice to listen to but I cannot imagine my self listening with any degree of frequency to every single version or outtake of any song. I am listening like I always do which is to say the music is more often in the background of my mind but when something "different" comes up, my pea-brain makes note and I do listen a bit more closely.

"Rain (Take 5 Slowed down For Master Tape)" is nice but then it more closely follows what I am used to ENJOYING. :ksc75smile:
If I look (and listen) at what is more a historical review of the album instead of becoming hysterical about it, I think I will better enjoy my self. Maybe. Maybe not.

For me familiarity breeds comfort, NOT contempt. When you listen to the various "takes" in this collection you come to realize the "selective genius" Sir George Martin. "And Your Bird Can Sing"...Some times a bit off key. :beerchug:

ORT The Sophist (of sorts!)

Oct 30, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #102,024 of 150,236
The placement of the strings on "Eleanor Rigby" really made me sit up and think wow! Wow, this different!

Pretty amazing. Modern, first rate. A little bright in places...... yet somehow I'm not transported back to the sixties!:smile_phones:

A masterful job on "Revolver"!

Oct 30, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #102,025 of 150,236
The placement of the strings on "Eleanor Rigby" really made me sit up and think wow! Wow, this different!

Pretty amazing. Modern, first rate. A little bright in places...... yet somehow I'm not transported back to the sixties!:smile_phones:

A masterful job on "Revolver"!
Absolutely agree, I listened on my “detail” setup and will have a good listen with my warm (tubey) setup when I get an uninterrupted chance. Becoming a G. Martin fanboy in short order. Already a Wilson fanboy. I haven’t listened to the alt tracks yet as 99 times out of 100 I quickly see why they were dumped but I will try to find time for the Revolver tracks.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #102,026 of 150,236
Absolutely agree, I listened on my “detail” setup and will have a good listen with my warm (tubey) setup when I get an uninterrupted chance. Becoming a G. Martin fanboy in short order. Already a Wilson fanboy. I haven’t listened to the alt tracks yet as 99 times out of 100 I quickly see why they were dumped but I will try to find time for the Revolver tracks.
I was impressed by the clarity of the music - a lot of background noises can now be heard that were before inaudible.
To me the clarity of their voices is the most striking thing - sounds like I'm right there in the studio with them.
Agree that I won't be spending a lot of time on all the re-takes :)

Oct 30, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #102,027 of 150,236
The new Revolver is amazing. Makes me greedy wanting everything to sound that good.
Perhaps Rubber Soul will be Giles' next project? I hope so!

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #102,028 of 150,236
I was impressed by the clarity of the music - a lot of background noises can now be heard that were before inaudible.
To me the clarity of their voices is the most striking thing - sounds like I'm right there in the studio with them.
Agree that I won't be spending a lot of time on all the re-takes :)
I wasn’t really interested in the out takes, but I did want ‘Rain’ and ‘Paperback Writer’, otherwise I’d have just bought the single CD version.

‘Rain’ sounds better than the version I have on the ‘Past Masters’ 2CD compilation.

The whole album now sounds like it was recorded in 2022, not 1966!

Fantastic:beyersmile:

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #102,030 of 150,236

Lots of people expressing that reaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back