Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 29, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #102,001 of 150,197
Agreed and it doesn't hurt that he is a musician first.
Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" is a spectacular album. He's a master of instrumentation. Love almost everything I've ever heard from him... a world-class talent. The perfect guy to take a classic album and re-design / "re-optimize" it.

Oct 29, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #102,002 of 150,197
The CDs that those FLAC files were ripped from, however, always sound "the best", at least to me
IOW, you prefer the Y. A2's coax input to the USB input with the sources you own. You are not the only one.

Oct 29, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #102,003 of 150,197
Mine is in the post.....
I ordered the 2 CD version.

It could be a while, as Royal Mail are on strike!

Can't wait to hear it :beyersmile:

Edit: The Postman has just delivered it! :relaxed::thumbsup:
OK, I just did a comparison of tye two most recent versions of Eleanor Rigby, thanks to @bevanc -- and even though I thought I knew that song, Iwas not aware that is was ASS until now! I never realised that the vocals shifted positions between verse and chorus! And yes, Giles has fixed it. And it's beautiful. Amazeballs!

Oct 29, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #102,004 of 150,197
OK, I just did a comparison of tye two most recent versions of Eleanor Rigby, thanks to @bevanc -- and even though I thought I knew that song, Iwas not aware that is was ASS until now! I never realised that the vocals shifted positions between verse and chorus! And yes, Giles has fixed it. And it's beautiful. Amazeballs!
I listened to the 2 CD remix of Revolver this evening.

What a treat!

Giles Martin has done a fantastic job on this 56 year old recording.

I bought the 2 CD version as it includes Paperback Writer and Rain, neither of which were on the original album.

I have ‘Rain’ on the ‘Past Masters’ CD, but this remix sounds even better ( to these old ears..).

McCartney’s bass playing is quite extraordinary, and Ringo’s drumming is great too!

Not bad for a track which didn’t even make the cut for the original album.

The ‘Fab Four’ still have the power to surprise and enthrall, after all these years.

I grew up listening to Beatles music in the 60s, so it’s almost part of my DNA.

Giles Martin has done a remarkable job with the remixes of all five Beatles albums which he has so far worked on.

I’m sure his father, George, would be proud of him.

Oct 29, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #102,005 of 150,197

What a treat!

I bought the 2 CD version as it includes Paperback Writer and Rain, neither of which were on the original album.

I have ‘Rain’ on the ‘Past Masters’ CD, but this remix sounds even better ( to these old ears..).

McCartney’s bass playing is quite extraordinary, and Ringo’s drumming is great too!

The ‘Fab Four’ still have the power to surprise and enthrall, after all these years.

Giles Martin has done a remarkable job with the remixes of all five Beatles albums which he has so far worked on.

Thanks for your review. I'm now waiting for my 2-CD set to arrive in the mail.

:beerchug:
JC

Oct 29, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #102,006 of 150,197
Jethro Tull's Benefit
In decades past I bought 3 different CD issues on Benefit. A fairly early one, if not the earliest. Another one about 10 years later and a "remastered" one another 10 or so years later. All three sounded different. All 3 did something that was simply poor or bad. All three did something better than the other two.
Example: one had a 'tight' articulate bass, another had a tubby-flubby. None of the 3 had a bass that was "just right." The vocals were way to recessed in one. The vocals in another were wrong in a way I can't remember. The original LPs, US versions were better than the CD's, but I went through several LPs that all had needle wear, and clicks and pops. I got tired of chasing down an LP in great condition.
I'll try the Steve Wilson version....

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #102,007 of 150,197
IOW, you prefer the Y. A2's coax input to the USB input with the sources you own. You are not the only one.
Yes. Wild, isn't it? We'll see how it changes with the Urd as the CD transport and a Unison hub.

BTW, I initially connected the AURALiC to Yggy via a short 0.5m Wireworld AES/EBU cable. Since I re-jiggered the rack layout, I switched from AES/EBU to a 2m USB cable back in July. Sonic memory is weak as to any differences.

In the new rack setup, I don't have an AES/EBU cable long enough to bridge the space between the two units, so it'll be hard to A-B at this moment.

The MF CD player only has coax and optical digital outs, so I chose what I thought was the lesser of two evils... boy, was I surprised by what I heard!

Oct 29, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #102,008 of 150,197

What a treat!

Just ordered... damn you... lol

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #102,011 of 150,197
I like having the luxury of four playback options -Qobuz, ripped CDs, physical CDs….and vinyl!
That's like having true quadrophonic sound! :joy_cat:

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #102,012 of 150,197
In decades past I bought 3 different CD issues on Benefit. A fairly early one, if not the earliest. Another one about 10 years later and a "remastered" one another 10 or so years later. All three sounded different. All 3 did something that was simply poor or bad. All three did something better than the other two.
Example: one had a 'tight' articulate bass, another had a tubby-flubby. None of the 3 had a bass that was "just right." The vocals were way to recessed in one. The vocals in another were wrong in a way I can't remember. The original LPs, US versions were better than the CD's, but I went through several LPs that all had needle wear, and clicks and pops. I got tired of chasing down an LP in great condition.
I'll try the Steve Wilson version....
I look forward to your listening review. :smile_cat:

Oct 29, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #102,013 of 150,197
How many classical standards were based on old folk songs? Pretty much every composer did (and does) take inspiration from what came before. "There is no new thing under the sun." That was in the Bible, lo these many centuries ago. Or, as Tom Lehrer sang in "Lobachevsky," "Plagiarize, let no one else's work evade your eyes...only be sure to always call it please 'research.'" :smile:
The thing that makes the best composers music different from one another is the inclusion of the music they grew up with and were exposed to. There is no mistaking Brahms from Mahler from Bartok. The particular flavors of, especially, local folk music and its rhythmic patterns (and even speech patterns of the local language) and traditions incorporated into their music makes it distinct and individual to them.

Oct 30, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #102,014 of 150,197
Yes. Wild, isn't it? We'll see how it changes with the Urd as the CD transport and a Unison hub.

BTW, I initially connected the AURALiC to Yggy via a short 0.5m Wireworld AES/EBU cable. Since I re-jiggered the rack layout, I switched from AES/EBU to a 2m USB cable back in July. Sonic memory is weak as to any differences.

In the new rack setup, I don't have an AES/EBU cable long enough to bridge the space between the two units, so it'll be hard to A-B at this moment.

The MF CD player only has coax and optical digital outs, so I chose what I thought was the lesser of two evils... boy, was I surprised by what I heard!
I posted various source comparisons for Y. A2 a long while ago, but basically they went

pre-Unison USB from MicroRendu < AES from Auralic Aries Femto < Unison USB from Allo USBridge+Sbooster LPS < AES or coax from Pi2AES+Sbooster LPS.

Oct 30, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #102,015 of 150,197

@dstrimbu I look forward to reading your review of the 'Urd' .......when you eventually get one! :beyersmile:

As I have posted here previously, I had intended to buy an 'Urd' and even went to the trouble of buying and installing a Unison USB input board in my Yggy, so that I was all set for audio nirvana...

That was several years ago. However, impatience got the better of me, so I bought a Jay's Audio CDT2- Mk3 CD Transport instead.

I use its AES/EBU output to my original Yggy A2 and it sounds fantastic. (S/PDIF over BNC is also superb but I think that AES just shades it).

The Auralic gear is all well designed.

I bought an ex-demo Aries G2 a couple of years ago.

It sounded very good, but to my ears, it wasn't any 'better' than my ancient Logitech Transporter (which I use with Yggy via BNC output) so I sent it back and received a full refund.
The Aries G2 now retails at £4,799 in the UK! Even my ex-demo model cost £3k, and I simply couldn't justify the cost.

Others' experience may well be very different. Aries gear is certainly well-designed and well-built

When using the Aries G2 with my Yggy, the outputs, in order of preference were:

AES/EBU
S/PDIF over Coax
USB

I had already installed the Unison USB board in my Yggy, but of course, the Aries does not have a matching Unison USB output.
Nevertheless, I was surprised that USB fared so poorly (to my ears), and it is one of the reasons I decided not to hang on for the Urd.

I believe that @earnmyturns had a similar experience with Unison USB vs AES- preferring AES.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back