Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 26, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #101,851 of 151,517
That's really good to hear.

Really weird, though.

I live 75 miles (as the crow flies) east of the epicenter, and it was among the strongest quakes I've felt in 12 years. The tail end of it felt rather harmless with long, slow waves, but the first two or three seconds were dominated by two pretty strong, quite abrupt jolts.
A quake that felt the most similar to the one today in intensity and length was rated as a 3.8 and I was almost exactly sitting on top of that one.
I have friends who live in Sunnyvale close to where Homestead terminates into Foothill, and they, too, told me that they barely felt it.
Years ago, friends of mine who lived around my area back when Loma Prieta hit, told me that they barely felt anything back then. So based on what it felt like today, and before I found out that it was "only" a 5.1, I was kinda worried for a minute that the SF peninsula may have just slid into the Pacific. 🤣

A 5.1 that feels roughly like a 3.8 from 75 miles away, yet can barely be felt at a 10 miles distance from the center? Fluid dynamics is just weird.
A 5.1 is 10 times stronger than a 4.1, releasing 30 times the energy......

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #101,852 of 151,517
Oct 26, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #101,854 of 151,517
Excuse me, but how in the hell can they do that? Some sort of predatory lender clause written into their banking regs?

They, apparently, regarded it as a dead account. The claim to have written to me, and also claim not to have received change of address letters from me.

Then they make it hard to get the money back by insisting on "original" docs with notarization that conflicts with state law in every US State. And, of course, one needs an account for the funds to be - eventually - deposited into. Because I'm an easy going sort of person few people ever see me pushed over to the stubborn and persistent version. My good friend gave up on trying to recover his money. I didn't.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #101,855 of 151,517
They, apparently, regarded it as a dead account. The claim to have written to me, and also claim not to have received change of address letters from me.

Then they make it hard to get the money back by insisting on "original" docs with notarization that conflicts with state law in every US State. And, of course, one needs an account for the funds to be - eventually - deposited into. Because I'm an easy going sort of person few people ever see me pushed over to the stubborn and persistent version. My good friend gave up on trying to recover his money. I didn't.
So then, you recovered yours? Better for the bank than a lawsuit!

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #101,856 of 151,517
I made a solid state audio system for my wife's pottery shed, that is where she usually listens to music. I rarely hear it since I am generally working in my own shop. For serious listening it is tube amps.

I happened to notice this today for a mere $15-16, 000, available for pre-order. :ksc75smile:

https://www.westernelectric.com/91e

At that price they'll have a hard time keeping them in stock...

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #101,857 of 151,517
At that price they'll have a hard time keeping them in stock...
LOL there are a couple words that have all the vowels in order, (other than Y), one of those words is "facetious". :ksc75smile:

Oct 26, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #101,858 of 151,517
@Jason Stoddard, I'd like to ask you a "quick" question:
What's—roughly—the ratio of products that you guys start working on in total versus those that actually end up in production?

And I mean actual products, not just prototypes. Prototypes that don't work out happen in any business. When it does, you start over with either a variation on the theme or a whole new prototype for the same basic product idea, and you repeat that process until you get to a point where you have something that can work in production. But to let go of an entire product or concept is a whole different ballgame.
I'm curious about Schiit's willingness to simply let an idea that just doesn't quite want to work out die a dignified death instead of dragging it along just because you've already invested a lot of time, money, and effort (or blood, sweat, and tears) into it.

Background: As I am typing this, I'm sitting in a telco with one of my clients who refuses to understand that what they're trying to do won't work. It hasn't worked for about four years (Yes, four. And not months; years.) of them trying, and there's no logical reason to assume that it could ever work the way they expect and need it to work. Yet they keep dumping more and more time and—somewhat fortunately for my business partner and myself—money into this thing, even though it would be cheaper for them in the long run to just scrap the concept, write off the money and time they've already spent on it up to this point, and start over with a different, more realistic approach to the problem they're trying to solve.
(If they even still remember what the original problem was. It sometimes feels like to me that they're in so deep that they might actually have lost track of why they're even trying to do what they're trying to do in the first place.)

Looking at Schiit's product lineup over the past couple of years, it seems like you guys take very little issue in just axing an idea that—during the R'n'D phase—turned out not to work the way you guys expect or need it to work. Everything that ended up in production seems to have been worth it. Maybe not always financially (Sol comes to mind), but at least from a technological or aural perspective.
But then there's cases like Folkvangr and Tyr, where you wrote in their respective chapters about multiple instances during those products' development processes that you ran into one wall after the next, yet you kept going. Sometimes you decided to let things sit for a little while, but you never fully wrote them off as not worthy of further development. Luckily for everyone, they both ended up sounding fantastic, and in that regard they clearly turned out after the fact to have been worth to keep on trying. At least in those two cases, you must have had a moment along the way where you realized that it should be worth to keep working on them. Either that, or you're actually somewhat incapable of letting things go yourself, and you keep trying until something works and we've just not seen the cases that failed because you're more or less still busy kicking those particular cans down the road, amassing more and more of those "cans" to kick down the road as you go along.

I obviously have my own opinion on the whole issue, and it's probably surprising to no one here that my own approach to axing something that shows clear-ish signs of not working out is rather—shall we say—ruthless. For my own projects, I prefer to fail early and hard—and then move on.

But I'd really love to hear your perspective on it, too. If it doesn't already exist and I missed it, this would of course make for an interesting chapter. At least for me it would be. But a short and simple paragraph about your and/or Schiit's approach to this, and what this magical "sign of worthiness" looks like to you that you keep an eye out for during development, would already be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #101,859 of 151,517
Background: As I am typing this, I'm sitting in a telco with one of my clients who refuses to understand that what they're trying to do won't work. It hasn't worked for about four years (Yes, four. And not months; years.) of them trying, and there's no logical reason to assume that it could ever work the way they expect and need it to work. Yet they keep dumping more and more time and—somewhat fortunately for my business partner and myself—money into this thing, even though it would be cheaper for them in the long run to just scrap the concept, write off the money and time they've already spent on it up to this point, and start over with a different, more realistic approach to the problem they're trying to solve.
(If they even still remember what the original problem was. It sometimes feels like to me that they're in so deep that they might actually have lost track of why they're even trying to do what they're trying to do in the first place.)

How are they justifying the budget? I thought the days of cash-rich telcos was over. It looks like they have lost sight of the 'Why'.

Andrew

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #101,860 of 151,517
How are they justifying the budget?
It's a business catering exclusively to government agencies. In that world, "common sense" does not mean what you and I think it means.

I thought the days of cash-rich telcos was over.
Just to clarify: By "telco" I meant a telephone conference, not telephone company.

It looks like they have lost sight of the 'Why'.
Clearly.
But it's shockingly common in my line of work.
In their world more so than in the "normal" (as in B2B and B2C) world, but even there I'm still regularly surprised at how much time and money gets burned on clearly futile endeavors, and to see the lengths they sometimes go through to maintain a certain amount of plausible deniability towards their superiors in the more "harmless" instances, and how they get outright delusional to almost a clinical level in the less harmless ones. To the point where they even react in childishly aggressive ways to anything and anyone that could endanger their carefully maintained world of wishful thinking.

To be fair, the sunk cost fallacy is a bitch to stay ahead of in the best of circumstances. That's why I'm interested in reading Jason's take on it, since Schiit seems to do reasonably well on that front. Or at least they appear to do so from the outside looking in.

Oct 26, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #101,861 of 151,517
as @Roy G. Biv said, 5.1 per USGS, south of San Jose.

@ArmchairPhilosopher you are now officially a Californian.

Loma Prieta 1989 (mag 6.9) was much bigger. had never seen a lawn move like slow rolling waves on the ocean before (and hopefully not again)
the wife and I got married on the day of the Loma Prieta quake

Oct 26, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #101,863 of 151,517
Are any folks here IEM fiends? I've found myself increasingly into them while I'm on the go / working in mobile spaces. I got a fairly basic mobile rig, which is not currently Schitty. Roon ARC on iPhone / Fiio Q3 / Moondrop Kato or 7Hz Timeless. Makes me quite happy when not on my home rig. I'm just scratching the surface of what can be achieved obviously, but most of my listening is Gumby / Mjolnir 2 / HD6xx so I'm trying to get something better while on the go. Interested to hear if others who have home listening tastes like mine have chased this particular path as well.

Oct 26, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #101,864 of 151,517
LOL there are a couple words that have all the vowels in order, (other than Y), one of those words is "facetious". :ksc75smile:
He said, facetiously.

Oct 26, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #101,865 of 151,517
@Jason Stoddard, I'd like to ask you a "quick" question:
What's—roughly—the ratio of products that you guys start working on in total versus those that actually end up in production?

And I mean actual products, not just prototypes. Prototypes that don't work out happen in any business. When it does, you start over with either a variation on the theme or a whole new prototype for the same basic product idea, and you repeat that process until you get to a point where you have something that can work in production. But to let go of an entire product or concept is a whole different ballgame.
I'm curious about Schiit's willingness to simply let an idea that just doesn't quite want to work out die a dignified death instead of dragging it along just because you've already invested a lot of time, money, and effort (or blood, sweat, and tears) into it.

Looking at Schiit's product lineup over the past couple of years, it seems like you guys take very little issue in just axing an idea that—during the R'n'D phase—turned out not to work the way you guys expect or need it to work. Everything that ended up in production seems to have been worth it. Maybe not always financially (Sol comes to mind), but at least from a technological or aural perspective.
But then there's cases like Folkvangr and Tyr, where you wrote in their respective chapters about multiple instances during those products' development processes that you ran into one wall after the next, yet you kept going. Sometimes you decided to let things sit for a little while, but you never fully wrote them off as not worthy of further development. Luckily for everyone, they both ended up sounding fantastic, and in that regard they clearly turned out after the fact to have been worth to keep on trying. At least in those two cases, you must have had a moment along the way where you realized that it should be worth to keep working on them. Either that, or you're actually somewhat incapable of letting things go yourself, and you keep trying until something works and we've just not seen the cases that failed because you're more or less still busy kicking those particular cans down the road, amassing more and more of those "cans" to kick down the road as you go along.

Quick answer: a surprising number of them. Maybe as high as 90%. But sometimes they sit for years, as we figure out what to do with them. There's a number of things coming that have been in the "sit and think" pile for quite some time.

Of course, this is very different from your situation, because our internal dev is largely sunk; it doesn't matter too much if I'm chasing a stupid idea, since I can work on other things that need to get done for real (as in, we are gonna be shipping them.) That's today in a nutshell. Working on two...er, I mean 4...products soon to launch, done deal, working on stupid things like firmware tweaks and production ramp up, sending units out to photography, etc. Also working on two silly things which may or may not ever happen. Or sit on a shelf for a good long time.

But yeah, probably worth a chapter on "when to stop?"

I obviously have my own opinion on the whole issue, and it's probably surprising to no one here that my own approach to axing something that shows clear-ish signs of not working out is rather—shall we say—ruthless. For my own projects, I prefer to fail early and hard—and then move on.

But I'd really love to hear your perspective on it, too. If it doesn't already exist and I missed it, this would of course make for an interesting chapter. At least for me it would be. But a short and simple paragraph about your and/or Schiit's approach to this, and what this magical "sign of worthiness" looks like to you that you keep an eye out for during development, would already be very much appreciated.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back