Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 21, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #101,568 of 151,009
It sounds different. It is distortion. Some folks like it and some don’t. Some producers seem to like it as well.

There is something to be said about standardizing filters across manufacturers in an attempt to reproduce the same output.

It’ll find customers or it won’t. People vote with their ears more than politics in this hobby, after all.
I think in the long term one solution proposals like dbx etc die out very fast as there is always something new..

Besides, 44.1 16 bit is already a same output standard.

People trying to sell hi def want us to believe that one solution is optimal so they can charge anything they want.

It's not politics. It's economics.

Oct 21, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #101,569 of 151,009
Oct 21, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #101,572 of 151,009
I just realized - one of the things that held up The Gadget was related to computing power so it had a noticeable delay in playback, and this might be better in Mike's thread, but with The Singularity being on an FPGA, does that open new avenues into reviving The Gadget for consumers, or is this a mechanical showing his roots?
Based on the following points…

- As of the SchiitrMeet, Singularity prototypes existed in (at least) two variants: One running on an FPGA, and one running on a DSP.
- FPGAs are, from what I can tell, a relatively new addition to Schiit's toolbox.
- DSPs have been around for a lot longer at the "Schlabbs" — the "Schiit Labs" — and I think it was mentioned that The Gadget prototype was running on a DSP.
- Dave mentioned that DSPs tend to perform faster than FPGAs.

…I kinda assume that Singularity's existence doesn't really mean that The Gadget's performance bottlenecks are no longer an issue. From my understanding, The Gadget is quite a bit more resource hungry than a "simple" DAC implementation. The fact that it is already pushing the envelope of what can be done on a DSP, I have serious doubts that the (seemingly) slower FPGAs would provide a better platform.

So, as much as it pains me to say, but I don't think Singularity can serve as an indicator that The Gadget's state of being stuck in development hell has improved at all.

But I've been known to be wrong, of course — which should always be the default assumption when one reads the tea leaves as I just attempted to do. 😎

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #101,573 of 151,009
OK now a question ... Qobuz has those original Bill Evans Trio recordings from 1961 ... "Waltz for Debbie" and "Sunday at the Village Vanguard." They also have "The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings" which I think contains both of the two previous albums and is purportedly re-mastered from the original tapes. Any experience with which have the better SQ? Thank you.
Both Waltz For Debby and Sunday at the Village Vanguard were culled from the series of shows at the VV. The complete recordings is just that- complete.

I have not assiduously compared the sound of these releases, I prefer listening to the complete recordings for the organic flow, as the music is presented as it was performed.

The technical info on tape transfers and such is woefully inadequate for my tastes. :smirk_cat:

The music is unutterably brilliant! :smiley_cat:

Oct 21, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #101,574 of 151,009
But no matter how good your system, it will never be able to replace the ritual of traveling to a hall, of finding your seat, of making yourself comfortable ... the energy that's in the air leading up to the concert, and the pure and unadulterated bliss that is your bathing in the all-encompassing emotional and physical power that is being created so artfully by the roughly one hundred deeply invested world-class professionals on the stage before you.
That just can't be beat.
Ever.
And wondering why there are paper bags taped to the bottom of the seats until the conductor says to take them out, inflate them and then pop them during the cannon shots of the 1812 Overture.

Our local symphony did that they year before Santa..., I mean Covid.

The popping paper bags, when done in synchrony by a few hundred people, did a fair facsimile of small bore cannons, afaict. :)

Oct 21, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #101,575 of 151,009
I had already sold mine a few weeks back, I have to start trimming down gear I am not using as much as I once did. I got a few things from @FLTWS and this was before boxing a heavy tube amp and two large AC regulators, music CD’s and tubes.😜😜

I was lucky enough to lighten Tom's inventory a bit, thoroughly enjoying a Mjolnir 2. He's also partially responsible for this years "mad science" project; a 300B SET amplifier with speakers. Parts are finally in for the amp.....

IMG_3897.jpg

IMG_3898.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #101,576 of 151,009
I was lucky enough to lighten Tom's inventory a bit, thoroughly enjoying a Mjolnir 2. He's also partially responsible for this years "mad science" project; a 300B SET amplifier with speakers. Parts are finally in for the amp.....

IMG_3897.jpg

IMG_3898.jpg
I am impressed that you took on that project! You are a man of depth and style.😀

Oct 21, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #101,577 of 151,009
Oct 21, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #101,578 of 151,009
I have a Schiit question guys.

On the Freya S, i'm running 2 NC400 monoblocks which are fed from the balanced xlr's of my dac. If I switch from passive to Nexus and then the other, will I blow something up?

Also, I read the manual, but I am not understanding what Nexus 1 and Nexus 4 does aside from more gain. What are the pros and cons of each?
(sorry, new to preamps)

Oct 21, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #101,579 of 151,009
Oct 21, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #101,580 of 151,009
I have a Schiit question guys.

On the Freya S, i'm running 2 NC400 monoblocks which are fed from the balanced xlr's of my dac. If I switch from passive to Nexus and then the other, will I blow something up?

Also, I read the manual, but I am not understanding what Nexus 1 and Nexus 4 does aside from more gain. What are the pros and cons of each?
(sorry, new to preamps)
I'm assuming your signal path is Dac -> Freya S -> NC2400's
Switching from Passive to N1 is immediate, and at least in my system (yggy -> freya s -> vidar monblocks), a slight increase in gain and perceived "presence". Going to N4 will involve a bit of a time delay, as additional gain stage stabilizes, I'd recommend reducing volume as this happens then adjusting to taste.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back