Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 21, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #101,478 of 153,939
And with the addition of this-here Modi 3E*, the travel rig is complete. ✅

Not to pander to an audience, but this little stack has no business sounding anywhere near as good as it does.
I dare you to show me another maker of audio gear that is this compact, yet delivers a sound that can easily hold a candle to products that cost twice as much or more.

* to be replaced with a Modi MB, once it's back from its supply chain hell induced hiatus, in whichever shape or form that might be.
Wait until the hardware/brain burn in finishes on the Modi 3E. You will be astonished at what you're getting for $129.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #101,480 of 153,939
Several years back I took the listening challenge as T.H.E. They were using an Onkyo DAP and had songs with MQA and with out. They wanted to control the dial and I said I would do so and was allowed to. I had no idea what "version" was playing as I do NOT look at little lights that inform me there is a "difference" present. With out looking at the DAP I listened to the music and changed the MQA/No-MQA throughout each selection.

I never heard a difference. N E V E R. Other's had swoooooned over the supposed difference but then they knew when to swoon as they "saw the light", LOL! Kmart Blue Light special, indeed.

Stewart is a farce. His laundry fold/unfold BS is just that BS. I was told I had to "seriously listen" in order to hear the magic. Pffft! Why would I want to do that? That is patently dumb. On top of all this, we have to pay to be lied to?! Yup. And even if I never use the "feature" I have still paid an entry fee to Stewie. Like Hades I will.

Like Lone Wati said to the elixir salesman in the film "The Outlaw Josey Wales" when that pusher tried to get him to try/buy his wares, "You drink it."

At least Stewie ain't trying to sell me tennis shoes to go with his Fool-Aid.

thats the same reasoning that got me thinking about Schiit - buy the tech you need for the music you have !!

Oct 21, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #101,481 of 153,939
There's zero need to be sorry. What you wrote is completely fair.

So let me amend what I wrote with this:
The laws of physics apply. You will never be able to perfectly reproduce an entire orchestra and the size and acoustics of a hall in your living room, not for 20k bucks or half a million.
But you can get surprisingly close if you know what to look out for, and which mistakes to avoid. (Subs and ported speakers, for example, are great for pop and rock, but counterproductive for acoustic music, jazz, and classical.)

Is the system I described able to perfectly reproduce a philharmonic orchestra and its hall?
No. That's why I carefully chose my words when I said that "it'll get you a pretty darn decent approximation" of one.
If it's "perfect" you're after, nothing will ever beat buying a ticket. Which, incidentally, is also of course the preferred approach to support the performers and the art form itself.
But it comes surprisingly close based on my own sensibilities, and it's more than enough for the girls I go out with. 🤣
when I was younger (late teens early twenties) My Father and I would go to a Local Jazz club (The Bell pub, Codicote , Hertfordshire, England) every weekend, tight venue, everything from 17-piece big bands - the trombone slides only narrowly avoiding my beer glass! to 5-piece jazz funk and even Accordion Jazz!! Plus living in Knebworth at the time I saw Led Zep, Genesis, Beach Boys etc - and got hooked on Live sound and performance - My HI FI purchases are a direct result of that experience, sound in the knowledge that at best I could only recreate a small-scale facsimile of the real thing. Don weller and Art Farmer pictured at the Bell
don weller.jpg
art farmer.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #101,483 of 153,939
when I was younger (late teens early twenties) My Father and I would go to a Local Jazz club (The Bell pub, Codicote , Hertfordshire, England) every weekend, tight venue, everything from 17-piece big bands - the trombone slides only narrowly avoiding my beer glass! to 5-piece jazz funk and even Accordion Jazz!! Plus living in Knebworth at the time I saw Led Zep, Genesis, Beach Boys etc - and got hooked on Live sound and performance - My HI FI purchases are a direct result of that experience, sound in the knowledge that at best I could only recreate a small-scale facsimile of the real thing.
What a small world @Erratic Gravy :beyersmile:

I went to The Bell back in the 70s with a friend who lived in Welwyn.
Our favourite pub nearby was the 14th Century Brocket Arms, in Ayot St Lawrence.
It used to be a great pub.
They served perfect Abbot Ale!
https://www.brocketarms.com/

Oct 21, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #101,485 of 153,939
Bottom line, they're both evolving. Once you've gotten a resin printer, you'll find the limitations of FDM to be annoying. Particularly with all the new resins. Super fine surface finish, rubber-like parts, flexible parts, super-tough parts, transparent parts, hell, water-washable resins are a thing now. Yes, there's cleanup, but that's overblown. Especially when it's only a couple hundred bucks to add a wash and cure, and 40 or so more to fill it with IPA. There are plenty of gotchas, still, and lots of tweaky diy stuff, but that applies to both FDM and resin.

Edit: crap, I wanted to attach some photos showing what we're doing, but it's all prototype stuff. I need to print something I can show. Argh.
And so much cheaper than getting a mold made, especially when shortening something sounds like adding material back to the mold which is a lot harder than making something bigger/removing material from a mold. Also, the cost savings is always a nice side benefit from the other post with an example delta. Have you gotten into the black magic that is rolling orientation and the effects on the sheet metal parts yet? It plays a roll in large ducting and pressure vessels, and if you want to get really fun goes all the way back to the rolling mill and not only overall reduction ratio, but reduction % per pass in the roughing mills!

Oct 21, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #101,486 of 153,939
And so much cheaper than getting a mold made, especially when shortening something sounds like adding material back to the mold which is a lot harder than making something bigger/removing material from a mold. Also, the cost savings is always a nice side benefit from the other post with an example delta. Have you gotten into the black magic that is rolling orientation and the effects on the sheet metal parts yet? It plays a roll in large ducting and pressure vessels, and if you want to get really fun goes all the way back to the rolling mill and not only overall reduction ratio, but reduction % per pass in the roughing mills!
And, if we go this way, it opens up new opportunities for light pipes (and other internal parts) with more flexibility in size and spacing...that don't have to be engineered to pop out of molds! I have to un-learn whole categories of stuff again, just like CNC vs stamping. You have no idea what kind of amazeballs it is when you don't have to consider mold limitations.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 21, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #101,487 of 153,939
Bill Evans: The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961

About 10 days before Scott LaFaro left this world in a car accident. :crying_cat_face:
Thank you both for the ideas ... I am always looking for new (to me) jazz drummers. May I propose a guy who's still alive - Brian Blade. Check him out in Chick Corea's Trio (sadly, RIP) along with Christian McBride on bass.

With the Gungnir MB technology and Sennheiser HD800, I can hear everything the drummer is doing - and that's very important to me. I want to hear the mistakes, too. Poorly recorded music need not apply. And, IMO, the best drummers are the most emotional - the capability of a light touch is imperative. I never got into rock drumming as much ... although I have much respect for Neal Peart's work. YMMV as always :)

Oct 21, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #101,489 of 153,939
What a small world @Erratic Gravy :beyersmile:

I went to The Bell back in the 70s with a friend who lived in Welwyn.
Our favourite pub nearby was the 14th Century Brocket Arms, in Ayot St Lawrence.
It used to be a great pub.
They served perfect Abbot Ale!
https://www.brocketarms.com/
Blimey - that takes me back - I used to have apart time Job in The Clock Welwyn - breakfasts and the Sat/Sun dinner dances with Cabaret's - great fun ,

Oct 21, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #101,490 of 153,939
Reminds me of a little jazz club I went to every once in a while back when I still lived in Cologne: Papa Joe's.

I miss that place — and the free peanuts.
Very cool ... I can see where the trombone slide would be a hazard. After a couple of kölsch biers, it wouldn't matter :)
We lived in Cincinnati for a few years ... a big German population and quite a nice Oktoberfest as well. During that time, Reissdorfer kölsch became Annette's favorite bier. Sadly, we can't find it in Nashville.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back