Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 15, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #10,111 of 150,772
Hi,

Looks like Tyll will measure some amps. If there is no problem, mind you sending a Valhalla 2 with Lisst tubes? And if I'm not asking too much, develop a 6N6P Lisst for these measuments? In this case, Tyll would be able to compare a full ss amp, full tube, ss pre -> tube out, tube pre -> ss out with one amp.

Thanks!

Feb 17, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #10,112 of 150,772
  First - you took hekeli's comment totally out of context.  He was not disparaging the filter, he was talking about its marketability.

Second - most people cannot hear any difference between DACs, because they are not trained listeners.  It's not a genetic ability per se (although there may be some aspect of better or worse hearing apparaus) - rather it is almost entirely due to training, practice and experience.

Well over 90% of people will not know what we are talking about, with regards to sound quality more subtle than turning bass and treble knobs to 10.

Of the remaining people, 90% of those only think about sound quality in terms of bass-midrange-treble.  They have no idea of imaging, room sound, attack-sustain-decay, preservation of original balance, instrumental timbre.

You have to be an audiophile, audio engineer, or musician to notice any of those things.  Only those people will benefit from the Multibit DACs.

I disagree.
Most people DO hear the difference from one DAC to another, but they cant put it into words.
Everyone who passed thou my home has tried my system, and everyone can hear the difference from my Bifrost Multibit and my cheaper dacs (Z-5500 module, Fiio E17, Cowon i9).
They dont know how to explain it, but they want to listen to the Bimby.

I personally notice more in games than in music with bimby because Im more a gamer then an audiophile and in most cases people in Head-fi tell me bimbi is overkill for gaming :D.

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #10,113 of 150,772
Except that each of us only know about 200 people ("Dunbar's number" - it is part of the mental structure).  This is 0.000003% of the human population..

Generally "people we know" are only a tiny fraction of the various demographic groups.

This is encapsulated in the famous statement by film critic Pauline Kael (paraphrase) "No one I know voted for Nixon" (so how did that happen).

For example - quote "Everyone who passed thou my home has tried my system..."

I would guess that is true for a tiny fraction of people, in other words, I can say "No one who has ever passed thru my house has ever tried my system".

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #10,114 of 150,772
I have been in friends' homes and remarked favorably on things - even if they weren't that great. Or verbally admired their tv or deck or coin collection while thinking to myself "what a waste of money".
That's not to say that that happened in the poster's case, but these things happen..

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #10,115 of 150,772
  I disagree.
Most people DO hear the difference from one DAC to another, but they cant put it into words.
Everyone who passed thou my home has tried my system, and everyone can hear the difference from my Bifrost Multibit and my cheaper dacs (Z-5500 module, Fiio E17, Cowon i9).
They dont know how to explain it, but they want to listen to the Bimby.

-A couple of reasonable explanations:

a) They're being polite. "Catspaw suggests that this thingy sounds better than that thingy, so I'll just agree."
b) They're swayed by the expectation bias induced by you. "Catspaw suggests that this thingy sounds better than that thingy. If I can't tell a difference, I'm a doofus."
c) They're swayed by their own expectation bias. "Oooh, that thingy looks neater than the others. It probably sounds better, then."
d) The various DACs are not level matched; we tend to perceive a louder signal as 'better', all other things being equal.

...or any combination of the above.

Or, there IS an audible difference - however, it is somewhat more likely that some or all of a-d above are at play.

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #10,117 of 150,772
Jason Stoddard With a lot of chat about what color people's Schiit is. Have you guys ever thought about partnering with Colorware as an add on in the checkout process to send your order to them and get a custom color done? Takes the cost and inventory off your hands and puts the customization into the products.

Feb 20, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #10,121 of 150,772
I thought the Manhattan was just a recycled [REDACTED] with applicable mods......    
wink_face.gif

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #10,122 of 150,772
This may be a heretical question on Head-fi, but…

How much of your Schiit listening is done through speakers versus headphones?

Since I work at home I don't need to worry about annoying my cube mate, so I listen primarily through speakers. I do have 4 pairs of headphones by my elbow that get put on occasionally.

In my case it's Mac → Modi 2U → Integrated Amp → Speakers +/- Headphones

Do most of you listen primarily through headphones?

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #10,123 of 150,772

At my home office it's Gungnir MB and Mjolnir 2 (Ether C).  In my main 2-channel system it's Yggdrasil feeding the preamp, amp and speakers.  I use the headphone system every day that I'm home and the speaker system usually at least once or twice a week.

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #10,124 of 150,772

Since I work at home I don't need to worry about annoying my cube mate, so I listen primarily through speakers. I do have 4 pairs of headphones by my elbow that get put on occasionally.

Due to placement in an open living room, Yggdrasil → Ragnarok → Speakers +/- Headphones is hardly ever used for headphones. 90% of the time, it is fed PCM from TV (OTA broadcast).

In a bedroom though, Gungnir Multibit → various non-Schiit amplifiers has no speakers and is exclusively used for headphones.
The DAC is fed various sources including a CD transport, an iPod/iPad dock, a DAP with digital output.

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #10,125 of 150,772

Around 70/30 in favour of speakers, but this encompasses everything from playing games to watching movies etc. Music listening is about 50/50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back