Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 10, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #100,906 of 155,122
Media itself is irrelevant to me - but I mostly use digital files because it's easy and flexible. Sometimes my files are latest super duper high-res downloads - but quite often old ripped cd's that do sound better that recent remasters. 2015 remasters generally is a sign of warning. I suspect this might be related to the a few major earthquakes that year, affecting the mastering engineers sensibility... or something.
I was asking a specific person because I know his system and capabilities. He has tube amps, a turntable, hi res downloads,streaming, and possibly a CD transport. I have those things as well. The question was about SQ. I suspect @bocwen can play the same track four different ways just as I can. I am sure others have the same capabilities but after working with him on a blind challenge I also know about his ability to hear slight differences.😉 Others I do not know as well may have better capabilities.

Getting into convenience is another matter. It is more convenient to rip a cd and store it on a computer rather than to get up, walk across the room, open a jewel case and load it into a transport. Vinyl is very inconvenient, it requires more care and more work if you want to just hear specific tracks.😎

If I am working in my shop, or relaxing outdoors, or wanting to hear a variety of music I generally stream it.

I have little experience ripping CD’s or records. Is the quality the same as the original? Maybe the difference is slight so you are fine with it? (I have been given some and I do download from HD Tracks).

I should have been more inclusive, sorry.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #100,909 of 155,122
Don't know where you're going with that but Crystal is tied for 1st in my personal hot sauce list.
Cholula (original recipe) is the other.

I love Frank's Redhot for wings but I've got some Crystal Wing Sauce on order.

I start my wings naked (the wings, not me :smile_phones:) on the smoker at 225F for an hour then boost the heat to 400ish while basting (again, the wings) with hot sauce until done.
Food of the gods...
+10000 for Frank's Redhot. I could almost drink that stuff straight. Covering mac & cheese (any variety) and biscuits & gravy with it to give a low, slow burn and I'm in heaven.

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #100,910 of 155,122
LOL wait, don't you follow Canadian football? Bears are my favorite team win or lose. :beerchug:

Here is something I thought interesting..

1665348139868.png

I found plenty of other info stating vinyl record sales are increasing as are CD sales.

https://www.makeuseof.com/why-are-vinyl-records-still-selling/

Maybe vinyl is not dead after all.:) CD sales are also increasing recently.
For all the vinyl aficionados out there I came across a story about "HD vinyl". Can't find the original but here's a summary...
https://hdvinyl.org/hd-vinyl-benefits/

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #100,911 of 155,122
Oct 10, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #100,912 of 155,122
My bedside rig is currently a RopieeeXL, Bifrost 2, Jotunheim, and HD-6xx. I love it. I was really getting bummed at the size it was taking up (actually my wife was). Moved everything but the Jot and the headphones to under the bed, and used a couple longer XLR cables I had lying around. Much better. Keeps me from having to downgrade to an all-in-one solution. Phew. Problem solved.

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #100,913 of 155,122
My bedside rig is currently a RopieeeXL, Bifrost 2, Jotunheim, and HD-6xx. I love it. I was really getting bummed at the size it was taking up (actually my wife was). Moved everything but the Jot and the headphones to under the bed, and used a couple longer XLR cables I had lying around. Much better. Keeps me from having to downgrade to an all-in-one solution. Phew. Problem solved.
I keep most all audio gear on the ground floor in my house, I might listen to audio books in bed or read dead tree or digital versions.

My downstairs stays cool year round compared to the rest of the house so it is a perfect place for Class A tube gear, the warmth is welcome and I prefer the sound.

Oct 10, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #100,915 of 155,122
Hey Jason, bit off topic but I just got my new Lokius, and I am really loving it. Took a few songs to get used to, tho. lol

Stacked on top of my Jotunheim, no hum that I can hear, really sounds great!

20221010_104653.jpg

Oct 10, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #100,916 of 155,122
I think you answered your own question in the first sentence. If you don't want to mess with tubes then don't mess with tubes.
Freya S seems to be your answer.
Many happy Freya S owners here including myself, @Rensek ,@macdonjh and @Les Strat.
@Les Strat went so far as to return his Freya+ and purchase Freya S as a replacement.
As always, YMMV.
Spot on @Roy G. Biv

Freya S is indeed the answer for anyone who doesn't want tubes.

I am delighted with mine. I use it in 1x active buffer mode and consider it a genuine audiophile bargain.

I actually had an original Freya on home trial a few years ago (before the Freya + and Freya S were launched).

It was good, but personally, I didn't like the tube output in my system, so I sent it back.
I had it on home trial with an original Yggy... which I kept :beyersmile:

From what Jason has said in various posts, the Freya+ tube output is far better than the one in the original Freya.

Despite this, I decided to go for a Freya S and I have no regrets at all about that decision.

I do, however, now own my first ever tube amp- a Folkvangr!

I use it with Sennheiser HD 800S headphones and it sounds fantastic :beyersmile:

Oct 10, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #100,917 of 155,122
Spot on @Roy G. Biv

I am delighted with mine. I use it in 1x active buffer mode and consider it a genuine audiophile bargain.

I actually had an original Freya on home trial a few years ago (before the Freya + and Freya S were launched).

It was good, but personally, I didn't like the tube output in my system, so I sent it back.

From what Jason has said in various posts, the Freya+ tube output is far better than the one in the original Freya.

Despite this, I decided to go for a Freya S and I have no regrets at all about that decision.

I use it with Sennheiser HD 800S headphones and it sounds fantastic :beyersmile:
It took me a while to find my perfect tubes for the Freya + but the journey was worth it.😜

Oct 10, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #100,918 of 155,122
Spot on @Roy G. Biv

And Jason actually uses a Freya S.

Oct 10, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #100,920 of 155,122
I was asking a specific person because I know his system and capabilities. He has tube amps, a turntable, hi res downloads,streaming, and possibly a CD transport. I have those things as well. The question was about SQ. I suspect @bocwen can play the same track four different ways just as I can. I am sure others have the same capabilities but after working with him on a blind challenge I also know about his ability to hear slight differences.😉 Others I do not know as well may have better capabilities.

Getting into convenience is another matter. It is more convenient to rip a cd and store it on a computer rather than to get up, walk across the room, open a jewel case and load it into a transport. Vinyl is very inconvenient, it requires more care and more work if you want to just hear specific tracks.😎

If I am working in my shop, or relaxing outdoors, or wanting to hear a variety of music I generally stream it.

I have little experience ripping CD’s or records. Is the quality the same as the original? Maybe the difference is slight so you are fine with it? (I have been given some and I do download from HD Tracks).

I should have been more inclusive, sorry.
Haha! No problems - I missed the full story there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back