Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 3, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #100,561 of 150,503
You didn't have Auratones in the studio?

I understand why they were used, and there was a valid reason for doing so. But, I always used Meyer Sound HD-1's for mixing and mastering. Then my car, and small mini-monitors (NHT Super Zero's or Infinity Infinitesimal 0.3's) at home, for a real world audition.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #100,562 of 150,503
Certainly allowing the equipment to warm up can have an effect.

For something that doesn't have any moving parts the effect should be small, and probably inaudible (though I could be wrong on that), but still possible or even probable, even to a measurable level.

Burn in though? I'm a huge skeptic there.
Electrolytic capacitors do have a break-in period. Just look at typical datasheets from reputable makers like nichicon, United/Nippon Chemi-Con, Panasonic— they all specify parameters like leakage current, ESR, DF, etc after 100 hours of application of rated DC voltage.

Semiconductors also exhibit migration of impurities with applied DC power (but a smaller impact than the electrolytics)

Oct 3, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #100,563 of 150,503
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...-quitting-spotify-to-save-their-love-of-music

I have to admit, I never found new music that I like on streaming.
I guess I'm the polar opposite. I only listen to my music at home. Never outside, never off a playlist that the Stream Service has made. I've discovered new music (to me new) from jazz classics of the 50's and 60's. Americana Music, and Blue Grass. Never would have grown to appreciate them as much as I have without streaming. Also, it is truly awesome to read a review of a new album in the print media and then immediately play it on Qobuz and decide for myself what I think.

For my use cases, this is the best thing in audio I can recall in a long time.

YMMV

Leo

Oct 3, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #100,564 of 150,503
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...-quitting-spotify-to-save-their-love-of-music

I cant relate to that at all. Over the years I have found so much new music on first spotify and then qobuz & tidal.. But, I dont skip stuff. If I want to check out something new to me I will peruse all the albums that have awards from qobuz, or look through a labels catalogue (like ECM or Bluenote). Also when an album I like ends I will often let auto play go and explore albums off of tracks the auto play presents.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #100,565 of 150,503
Oct 3, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #100,566 of 150,503

Streaming sure is convenient, but I agree. Even with their fancy algorithms that continually monitor my tastes, and try to send me similar music in my randomly generated playlists, I rarely seem to be exposed to anything new that I like.

There have been some exceptions, where I have encountered new music I hadn't heard before that I really like, but it is pretty rare.

Oct 3, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #100,567 of 150,503
To complain about some sort of perceived over-abundance of readily available tracks is the epitome of a first-world problem, seriously.
And to complain that curator-created or recommender-algorithm-based playlists would somehow hamper your discoverability of what you really enjoy is like complaining that the radio station you yourself chose isn't playing any of the music you would like to hear.

I view streaming services as off-site storage of a planet-sized record collection that I am leasing for a ridiculously small amount of money per month, nothing less, nothing more. Which, in itself, is such an amazing concept and technological achievement that it blows my mind every day anew.
Discovery of new stuff is completely up to me and a selected group of friends, just as it always has been since the invention of art itself. Curation and selection of the day's musical background or for a recreational or critical listening session is purely up to my personal taste and entirely depending on the spirit of the moment. A well-curated library is key to that, but that's no different than it would be with LPs, CDs, or tapes.

Sorry if this is stepping on anyone's toes, but seriously… As long as you use your streaming library in a somewhat smart-adjacent way, it's in no way different to your own curated library. The only thing that really changes is the way you access your music via each respective medium, the associated cost, and whether or not you're going to fuxking hate your entire life every time you want to move houses.

What ever happened to independent thinking and personal accountability? Damned youths…

clint-eastwood-gran-torino.gif

PS: To each their own. 😇

PPS: I was recommended Jenny Owen Youngs this morning, and have been enjoying her catalogue all day. This enjoyment is brought to me by the technological marvel that is highly affordable streaming of readily available lossless digital music, and a network of a select group of people spread over four continents who truly enjoy to give and receive recommendations. Try as I might, I find it very hard to come up with a valid reason to complain about anything music-related these days. At least not since the invention of the internet — and my discovery of Schiit, aiding and abetting in this criminally outrageous joy that I derive from streaming music each and every day. 😁

PPPS: Yes, I am breaking my very own strictly-no-GIFs-rule. But sometimes, one has to take extreme measures to adequately convey how old one feels when one is being confronted with a bunch of whiney princesses and princes in a Guardian article that one should have known better to ever even read in the first place. 🤪

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #100,568 of 150,503
Except, of course, the Flux Capacitor...Which makes time travel possible...'n' Schiit.

You guys do what you want, but I never use my flux capacitors at a full 1.21 giga-watt until they've been broken in with a few lower-power trips to The Golden Age and back.

Oct 3, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #100,569 of 150,503
Meanwhile, at Abbey Road Studios…
E30E5319-D4D0-47B9-BBE8-CBCC6B30870E.jpeg
Those little monitors sitting on the shelf of the mixing desk are sitting in my living room, too. :smiley_cat:

Oct 3, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #100,570 of 150,503
To complain about some sort of perceived over-abundance of readily available tracks is the epitome of a first-world problem, seriously.
And to complain that curator-created or recommender-algorithm-based playlists would somehow hamper your discoverability of what you really enjoy is like complaining that the radio station you yourself chose isn't playing any of the music you would like to hear.

I view streaming services as off-site storage of a planet-sized record collection that I am leasing for a ridiculously small amount of money per month, nothing less, nothing more. Which, in itself, is such an amazing concept and technological achievement that it blows my mind every day anew.
Discovery of new stuff is completely up to me and a selected group of friends, just as it always has been since the invention of art itself. Curation and selection of the day's musical background or for a recreational or critical listening session is purely up to my personal taste and entirely depending on the spirit of the moment. A well-curated library is key to that, but that's no different than it would be with LPs, CDs, or tapes.

Sorry if this is stepping on anyone's toes, but seriously… As long as you use your streaming library in a somewhat smart-adjacent way, it's in no way different to your own curated library. The only thing that really changes is the way you access your music via each respective medium, the associated cost, and whether or not you're going to fuxking hate your entire life every time you want to move houses.

What ever happened to independent thinking and personal accountability? Damned youths…

clint-eastwood-gran-torino.gif

PS: To each their own. 😇

PPS: I was recommended Jenny Owen Youngs this morning, and have been enjoying her catalogue all day. This enjoyment is brought to me by the technological marvel that is highly affordable streaming of readily available lossless digital music, and a network of a select group of people spread over four continents who truly enjoy to give and receive recommendations. Try as I might, I find it very hard to come up with a valid reason to complain about anything music-related these days. At least not since the invention of the internet — and my discovery of Schiit, aiding and abetting in this criminally outrageous joy that I derive from streaming music each and every day. 😁

PPPS: Yes, I am breaking my very own strictly-no-GIFs-rule. But sometimes, one has to take extreme measures to adequately convey how old one feels when one is being confronted with a bunch of whiney princesses and princes in a Guardian article that one should have known better to ever even read in the first place. 🤪
Good choice of GIF. You do sound a bit like a cantankerous old man 😉

Oct 3, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #100,571 of 150,503
I more and more often really am one, not gonna lie.

Ironically, it most often happens whenever someone is complaining, moaning, or whining about some first world problem, or about something that happened to them but could have been avoided with a bare minimum of upfront thinking or even the slightest sense of personal accountability. That stuff just drives me up the wall, and it gets "worse" the older I get. Heck, I turned 41 two days ago; 20 years old me thinks I'm an ancient fossil at this point anyway. So why not embrace the fact that I'm turning into an old fart, shouting at clouds. 😎

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #100,572 of 150,503
Oct 3, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #100,573 of 150,503
Modi Multibit will come back, it's only a matter of time (and chip supply). It appears to be waaay too successful a product to ever really go away.
I sold mine when I upgrade to a BF2, wish I never had. And they are very thin on the ground in the used market here in Oz.
Not that I regret getting the BF2, it's awesome, just shoulda hung onto the Modi.

Oct 3, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #100,575 of 150,503
Kosh, here is a little song I doubt you have heard before, it can grow on you after seven or eight listens. :ksc75smile: I once sent a copy to a friend in New York and she politely asked me never to send her music ever again.

Captain Beefheart vocals, Zappa on guitar. (they were in a high school band together and Zappa once called Beefheart weird.)

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=orange+cl...i=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCDXhvXye9E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back