Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 29, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #100,381 of 150,550
Ugh. More nonsense from people who love an obsolete format whose signature "warm" sound could be recreated by just a combination of some eq and a vst. :p
I listen to records not because they "sound better" but because more often that not, they can make me "feel better". The fact that they are more tactile than streaming ("steaming"?) music is part of their charm. Their allure if you will, is that they are a physical medium. With digital sources be they steaming or CD, I never strain at a bit and swallow the OCD lie.

Like the Doobies said, I "...Listen to the music". Not the equipment. Not the bit rate. Not the codec. The music.

frAudiophiles are the pharisees and sadducees of the audio world. They will never be happy. Never be satisfied. Never be content. And they want you to join their OCD fueld misery. Nope. Screw 'em!

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #100,382 of 150,550
I listen to records not because they "sound better" but because more often that not, they can make me "feel better". The fact that they are more tactile than streaming ("steaming"?) music is part of their charm. Their allure if you will, is that they are a physical medium. With digital sources be they steaming or CD, I never strain at a bit and swallow the OCD lie.

Like the Doobies said, I "...Listen to the music". Not the equipment. Not the bit rate. Not the codec. The music.

frAudiophiles are the pharisees and sadducees of the audio world. They will never be happy. Never be satisfied. Never be content. And they want you to join their OCD fueld misery. Nope. Screw 'em!

That's the best reason I have ever heard anyone give for liking Vinyl.

There can be a certain pleasure in tactile things, as well as nostalgia.

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #100,383 of 150,550
and why it is a really bad idea to scale up pixel images when you need a bigger version of something.
... and why you should never just stretch images to fill a gap and distort the schiit out of them with incorrect aspects. I can almost live with scaling up, but distorting the aspects really grinds my gears.

*actually no, scaling up also sucks

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #100,384 of 150,550
especially since the sound of the required diesel generator would raise the noise floor to unacceptable levels for 2-channel listening.
It depends on your setup. We have a Generac propane-powered whole-house generator at our other place, outside, and it's perfectly possible to enjoy music while it is making up for various PG&E follies.

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #100,385 of 150,550
Sep 29, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #100,387 of 150,550
I’ve been a lover of music for more than 45 years. I’ve been an Audiophile for 28 years. It’s a fun and occasionally frustrating hobby. I’ve heard some amazing set ups and have tried to get as close as I can with my limited budget. Currently my main rig sounds pretty good. I’m still not where I want to be but I am closer than ever before.
Still eyeballing Tyr.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #100,388 of 150,550

I am very happy with my current system but part of that is going back to tube sound and vinyl like I heard in my youth. 😁 No doubt the equipment has improved but I can accept that.

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #100,389 of 150,550
The magic of the Weber is it does it all. Brats, dogs, chicken, fish, watermelon, beer butt birds, pineapple, various smoked meats, pizza....etc. direct, indirect, rotisserie, pan fry, high heat, low heat. One Weber kettle to rule them all
I've got a South African friend who introduced me to the Weber. He used it all year round, including doing a whole leg of lamb at Christmas as it snowed outside. Best Christmas dinner I've ever had.

Sep 30, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #100,391 of 150,550
My barbecue has never seen ribs, pulled pork or "brisket" whatever the hell that is.

This is hot dog and hamburger country, and maybe a store bought bratwurst if you are feeling frisky :p
Please say you at least cook the brats in PBR before grilling for special occasions.

Sep 30, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #100,392 of 150,550
Sep 30, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #100,393 of 150,550
You see, in most of the civilized world where we have 4 true seasons, a barbeque is a summer get together in which one grills food.

Could be anything really. Burgers, hot dogs, heck even corn on the cob or zucchini.

If it's not summer, you can't barbecue. It's too cold :p

As a lifetime resident of an area with 4 true seasons--thank you for reminding me to prep the snowblowers (yes plural)--I reject your assertion. If I can clear a path and the grill is not frozen shut, it's BBQ season. :)

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #100,395 of 150,550
Now that nighttime lows in my neck of the woods have dipped below freezing a couple of times in the past week and I've picked up a copy of chef Justin Sutherland's "Northern Soul" cookbook, it seems appropriate to make a batch of his Creole Jambalaya this weekend. Need to go shopping today for the chicken thighs, shrimp, and andouille. Already have the red rice, veggies and aromatics, and I have the spices I will need to whip up a batch of Cajun seasoning.

And, of course, I must put together a proper playlist in Roon to play while I cook, simmer the pot, eat a bowl or two of it, then happily pass into a food coma for a few hours, so that I can blissfully ignore the stark fact that winter is coming (for a few hours, anyway). So far I have Dr. John, The Meters, Neville Brothers, Mr. Armstrong, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Trombone Shorty, the Marsalis brothers. Any another recommendations from the group?

Speaking of Marsalis and New Orleans: I listened to Wynton's "Standard Time, Vol. 2" on the Folkvangr last night. After spending the first couple of weeks getting an idea of the base sound with the stock tubes, I'm now trying a few different sets of input tubes. Figure I'll spend a week with each set to determine what I like best. Started out with an inexpensive set of 6N23P Reflectors. Pretty spectacular and a good reminder that expensive ≠ best. Sitting there last night with the lights down low, enjoying the music, sipping on a cocktail, it struck me that I really don't mind having a black FV in the middle of my otherwise silver rack (take that audio OCD!). Accentuates that late night tube glow!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back