Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 29, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #100,366 of 149,328
Sep 29, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #100,367 of 149,328
Sep 29, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #100,368 of 149,328
Not where I'm from. We BBQ all year. Not like NC where once per year they pull out the smoker and and when the meal starts they all say "yeah, we really are pretty bad at this. Ma, got any vinegar so we don't have to taste whatever this is?"
We have traditional seasons here. I suppose TX has four seasons too: Hot, Hotter, Hot as Hell, and "OMG who would live here?!?" hot. 🤣

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #100,369 of 149,328
You see, in most of the civilized world where we have 4 true seasons, a barbeque is a summer get together in which one grills food.

Could be anything really. Burgers, hot dogs, heck even corn on the cob or zucchini.

If it's not summer, you can't barbecue. It's too cold :p

You just need some combination of the following - more charcoal, more propane, more wood chips, a bigger grill, an insulated smoker, an insulated bbq grill (green egg style), etc. Up north bbq season is whenever the mood strikes.

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #100,370 of 149,328
You just need some combination of the following - more charcoal, more propane, more wood chips, a bigger grill, an insulated smoker, an insulated bbq grill (green egg style), etc. Up north bbq season is whenever the mood strikes.
Lol @ Green Egg.

I'm not some snooty corporate executive living in Lexington, MA who buys an expensive grill to pose in his neighborhood of $2M homes but never use it, who also owns a Tesla for the same reason :p

No, barbecue season is ~April through September, and it happens exclusively on the cheapest propane grill they had at the Home Depot on sale a few seasons ago when barbecue season was about to end.

Not a smoker or any charcoal or any such nonsense anywhere in sight, and we have no idea what "brisket" is, and we don't "pull" our meats.

The fanciest that will happen is the grilling of a premade bratwurst from the local supermarket.

:p

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #100,371 of 149,328
Lol @ Green Egg.

I'm not some snooty corporate executive living in Lexington, MA :p

Im not sure about snootiness, our here they are sold at Ace Hardware, but they sure are expensive, even the knockoffs aint cheap. I really enjoy my Weber grill with the fancy vent system on the bottom. Good enough for me. Admittedly hard to do ribs in it from start to finish in the winter. Better to do a cold smoke for an hour or so, then cook it wrapped in foil on low heat in an oven or crock pot for a few hours, open it up and let it finish without steaming all the juice out of the meat. Im sure people are rolling over in their graves, but done right this technique makes good ribs, brisket, pulled pork, etc

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #100,372 of 149,328
Im not sure about snootiness, our here they are sold at Ace Hardware, but they sure are expensive, even the knockoffs aint cheap. I really enjoy my Weber with the fancy vent system on the bottom. Good enough for me. Admittedly hard to do ribs in it from start to finish in the winter. Better to do a cold smoke for an hour or so, then cook it wrapped in foil on low heat for a few hours, open it up and let it finish without steaming all the juice out of the meat. Im sure people are rolling over in their graves, but done right this technique makes good ribs, brisket, pulled pork, etc

My barbecue has never seen ribs, pulled pork or "brisket" whatever the hell that is.

This is hot dog and hamburger country, and maybe a store bought bratwurst if you are feeling frisky :p

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #100,373 of 149,328
My barbecue has never seen ribs, pulled pork or "brisket" whatever the hell that is.

This is hot dog and hamburger country, and maybe a store bought bratwurst if you are feeling frisky :p

The magic of the Weber is it does it all. Brats, dogs, chicken, fish, watermelon, beer butt birds, pineapple, various smoked meats, pizza....etc. direct, indirect, rotisserie, pan fry, high heat, low heat. One Weber kettle to rule them all

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #100,374 of 149,328
I just spent the better part of today writing a technical document explaining what color spaces are, why they matter, and which ones to use when you want to target iOS devices, and why it is a really bad idea to scale up pixel images when you need a bigger version of something.
I'm jealous!

Wait, no I'm not.

Carry on. :smile_cat:

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #100,375 of 149,328
I am happy enough with the klipsch towers but I feel they lack musicality or bass articulation or body(?) or maybe it’s just the klipsch tuning that makes me think more analytical about the sound and less involved in the flow of music.
Bookshelves because I’ve heard a couple of older pairs from thrift stores only driven by a cheap receiver produce exceptional results in the areas that the klipsch lack.
The klipsch do feel more defined and more separation in between instruments but I just feel something is lacking.
I would be interested in the right towers and I enjoy the shape and size more so than bookshelf but I just want the best sound.

I like to listen to a lot of live recordings of current touring bands such as reggae, jamband, metal, and funk. I also listen to 90’s rnb and hip hop, pop of all ages, old rock, funk, blues, and I have a particular love for clean well defined bass just not too overwhelming and booming.

My room is a medium sized living room attached to a large kitchen all open with very tall ceilings. But my main listening position is about 12 ft or less from the speakers.
Klipsch may well be "lacking" in Musicalifragelisticexpealidociousness" but they reproduce sounds, all manner of sounds, quite well. Nothing we do with current tech will ever be the same as a live performance but that is fine with me. I honestly do not want nor need to have the Beatles or Sinatra "in my room and in my face".

It is said that a great many things can affect the sound of reproduced music. Speaker placement, sound treatments, speaker size and technology used to make the speaker. One thing that many do not take in to account is attitude and ego. But that is simply because a speaker has neither.

I like Klipsch speakers very much. I also like Magnepan speakers very much. Not enough to have bought any. Yet. I enjoy my speakers ability to reproduce music, movies and moments in my life, albeit by association. Listen with your life's experience. Are you hearing the song and what it means to you or are you straining to find fault either with the speaker or the recording it self?

Listen to the music. Do NOT strain to hear that which does nothing to bring you pleasure. Or...Not! The choice is yours. Klipsch are excellent speakers. So too are many other brands. I like the way Klipsch looks and reproduces music. My music. My memories. My life and its soundtrack.

It is not that hard to listen to the music. Be well and have fun!

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #100,377 of 149,328
Sep 29, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #100,378 of 149,328

Users who are viewing this thread

Back