Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 25, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #9,946 of 150,837
R2R 

It's always been better than vinyl!

but:

There's no tape to buy, it's been discontinued, like 35mm Film that Kodak doesn't make any longer. 

TAS, once again, promotes stuff from the Archives, I suppose for us Old Geezer, Hugh Hefner wanna-bees.

I wonder if they're gonna slot the 2-Channel Schiit stuff into C Grade recommended components ( where retail prices determine grading?) . 

Tony in ….

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #9,947 of 150,837
Mr. jacal01,

Didn't we think of our little pal buddies as hard workers and the most likely to succeed?, back in the day!

We'd never heard of ADHD, did we? 

Those guys had super high energy, they laid tons of Bricks (2,000 per day easily). 

They'd eat two Double Whoppers. They were skinny. 

Gimmie two of those guys and we'd unload a Semi Truck, laughing.  I love working with those guys. 

Tony in ….

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #9,948 of 150,837
For my back to go into hibernation I need to find myself a decent chair. Why is it such a pain....

These days I use a old Scandinavian style sling type chair with a lumbar support pillow strapped to the back cushion.  Looks amazingly similar to what's selling at $4-5k as specialty "back support arm chairs".  And it works.

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #9,949 of 150,837
A new R2R? Why buy new when you can buy restored and with the level of bling you want - like the 24 Karat Gold Plating Package for $695? 

Custom colors here http://www.j-corder.com/Gallery_of_Custom_Decks.php

Too many decisions? Just get The Natural 10A02 - a rebuilt Technics...now only $14,995. Act now! http://shop.j-corder.com/product.sc?productId=45&categoryId=1

http://www.j-corder.com/J-Corder_News.html

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #9,950 of 150,837
  I'm smart, I'm careful, and I travelled a lot when I was younger. But I still remember plugging in my Quad 405 and wondering why it didn't make any noise.

Fortunately, I had gone from 220v UK to 110v Canada, so no magic smoke came out of the box. I unplugged, flipped the appropriate switch, and plugged it back in. Worked fine. But I KNEW to look, I KNEW to RTFM, and I STILL screwed up.

In truth, having no switch is hardly a guarantee of no incidents in the making. First time in the US, surely enough I plugged a hairdryer into the mains. Also fortuitously there was no black magic out of the device, but the incident was clear --- these things happen. So current Schiit products with no switch are just as likely to get toast by lack of attention as products with a carefully protected switch, I think.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #9,951 of 150,837

Now imagine you take an Yggy/Ragnarok combo at $4K, but find yourself moving to a different continent 1.5 years later. Reselling may or may not be an option for such a pricey item in your current location, so chances are you would end up with a 64 lbs (~30 kg) hump of unusable electronics.

Both voltages are already internally supported in all Schiit products, this has been discussed before. It's a 5 minute solder job to change it, so hardly a lump of unusable electronics.

Soldering involves voiding warranty, and is an option if and only if you know how to solder. For those who don't, a lump is still a lump.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #9,952 of 150,837
Switch Gate 2.0   
popcorn.gif

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #9,953 of 150,837
  Mr. jacal01,

Didn't we think of our little pal buddies as hard workers and the most likely to succeed?, back in the day!

We'd never heard of ADHD, did we? 

Those guys had super high energy, they laid tons of Bricks (2,000 per day easily). 

They'd eat two Double Whoppers. They were skinny. 

Gimmie two of those guys and we'd unload a Semi Truck, laughing.  I love working with those guys. 

Tony in ….

I think you're confusing ADHD with speed freaks.  Especially back in the day... 
wink.gif

But you're right, it's all acronym soup these days, with accompanying growth industries.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #9,954 of 150,837
  A new R2R? Why buy new when you can buy restored and with the level of bling you want - like the 24 Karat Gold Plating Package for $695? 

Custom colors here http://www.j-corder.com/Gallery_of_Custom_Decks.php

Too many decisions? Just get The Natural 10A02 - a rebuilt Technics...now only $14,995. Act now! http://shop.j-corder.com/product.sc?productId=45&categoryId=1

http://www.j-corder.com/J-Corder_News.html

One word: maintenance

R2R decks are complex electro-mechanical machines with lots of mechanical parts that wear out, get out of alignment, need replacing, etc.  Bad mechanicals can cause a lot of wow & flutter.  Replacement parts can be hard to find and expensive.

Then you have the issue of maintaining the heads themselves and finding someone who knows how to do biasing.

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #9,956 of 150,837
  R2R 

It's always been better than vinyl!

but:

There's no tape to buy, it's been discontinued, like 35mm Film that Kodak doesn't make any longer. 

TAS, once again, promotes stuff from the Archives, I suppose for us Old Geezer, Hugh Hefner wanna-bees.

I wonder if they're gonna slot the 2-Channel Schiit stuff into C Grade recommended components ( where retail prices determine grading?) . 

Tony in ….

You can still buy tape.  There are still plenty of artists, producers, and studios that still use it.

ATR Magnetics is an example of a brand still making tape.  This is the brand that Steve Albini uses over at Electrical Audio.

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #9,959 of 150,837

ATR Magnetics.  

They say that they're the "only" manufacturer of Tape in the USA! , I believe em.

They talk about the technical side of maintaining tape machines: skilled people are available. 

Maybe tape isn't as dead as I thought it was, ( 100% dead now that credit cards have little chips ).  I guess it's only near completely dead.

[size=x-small]My neighbor, the Video Editing guy, says he has access to a Analog Tape machine because once a year someone brings in a spool of tape[/size] for a project. [size=x-small]  [/size]

[size=x-small]I'm also told that Audio recording is 24 bit which hints of tape machines being available for not much money, if a person cares to go there. [/size]

[size=x-small]ATR will provide the Tape. [/size]

I wonder if Head-Fi will have a Thread dedicated to tape machines?, I'll promise to stay away!

[size=x-small]​Tony in ….[/size]

[size=x-small]ps.  I sold ACS Professional Tape Machines back in the 80s ( I couldn't get Nakamichi ), I still own some Louis Armstrong tape.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back