Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 1, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #98,896 of 150,072
Sep 1, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #98,897 of 150,072
Quite a few years ago, Sony also installed a hidden rootkit to Windows if their CDs were played on a Windows computer. It acted as a form of DRM and prevent ripping and fingerprinting copies, IIRC. This was unceremoniously stopped and a removal program issued after they were exposed and faced public backlash.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

I guess that's better than UMG's attempt at preventing ripping. :D

https://www.billboard.com/music/pop/janet-jackson-rhythm-nation-crashes-old-laptops-1235130134/

(Actually happened, but it was not a DRM attempt)

** As an aside. The Rhythm Nation issue was resolved by introducing a steep 90Hz notch filter in all laptops (and possibly all computers) to prevent this. Whether that filter remains, I don't know. Hopefully not.
Sony's DRM Rootkit: The Real Story

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #98,898 of 150,072
I got the impression from their video's that they would love to setup a robust European distribution network. However, they are just starting to catch-up with demand from USA. Europe is something that would be nice, but sometimes, aspirations must take a back seat to practicality.

Leo
I disagree. You can always distribute in the ratios under common situation and have back orders equally spread. It has been a clear choice to focus on North America and of course it has not been stated and apologies have been made.

It is the reason I stopped purchasing Schiit gear until stock is back in Europe ... price difference is just too much as VAT is high in Portugal (VAT is paid over the total amount incl transport :frowning2: )

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #98,899 of 150,072
I disagree. You can always distribute in the ratios under common situation and have back orders equally spread. It has been a clear choice to focus on North America and of course it has not been stated and apologies have been made.

It is the reason I stopped purchasing Schiit gear until stock is back in Europe ... price difference is just too much as VAT is high in Portugal (VAT is paid over the total amount incl transport :frowning2: )
+1 @Derrick Swart

I am a big fan of Schiit and have bought a lot of their gear.

However, I also object to having to buy direct from the States, with the additional costs of shipping, VAT and customs duty.

It also results in far less consumer protection, compared with online purchases made in the UK.

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #98,900 of 150,072
I wonder if the Beaujolais Nouveau will be good this year?
Last year was good quality though low in alcohol. This year harvest will be earlier, likely almost now.
I never was a fan of the Beaujolais Primeur but serve at the right temperature.

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #98,901 of 150,072
Last year was good quality though low in alcohol. This year harvest will be earlier, likely almost now.
I never was a fan of the Beaujolais Primeur but serve at the right temperature.
I hosted a world-wide sales meeting in Dublin (about 30 people) one November years ago. We went through over 100 bottles of Beaujolais - semiconductor sales guy like to drink.

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #98,902 of 150,072
I hosted a world-wide sales meeting in Dublin (about 30 people) one November years ago. We went through over 100 bottles of Beaujolais - semiconductor sales guy like to drink.
:) after 100 bottles every wine tastes fantastic ... hahahaha

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #98,903 of 150,072
:) after 100 bottles every wine tastes fantastic ... hahahaha
It's like my father used to say: the first bottle should cost three times what any subsequent bottle costs since that's the only one you'll actually taste. :)

Sep 1, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #98,906 of 150,072

I opted this same question/statement some years ago.
Jason's answer was that they are a direct sales company and the resellers (or whatever you may call them) are a bonus who are supplied when possible.
No intention of equal distribution then, so I don't think there will be now, looking at developments in parts shortages, transport cost increases, inflation etc.
Sonority as a reseller was nice while it lasted. Will it soon/ever come back? I don't think so.

I think VAT is paid over goods and transport in most countries. I have to pay 21% VAT over goods and transport in The Netherlands. On top of that sometimes import taxes (with my both Tyrs). Most likely it's a European thing.

Sep 1, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #98,907 of 150,072
... plus the import duty and import processing fees BEFORE they apply VAT. Then, if an item has to be sent back to the US for warranty, presumably those charges apply again when the item returns. That's my main point of concern. For high value items, that can amount to a lot.

I don't know for sure, but if a non-US customer buys direct from Schiit USA, we must be paying the same US tax inclusive price ... IOW, the US Tax is not deducted ... perhaps that isn't possible or too much hassle ? In Europe, if you export a new item, I believe the local tax (VAT) is deducted.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #98,908 of 150,072
Then, if an item has to be sent back to the US for warranty, presumably those charges apply again when the item returns.
No, they don't.
That is different customs code.
The item (that you own) is temporarily exported and re-imported.
At least that is the case in the warranty period and you have to send the original import papers with the goods.

If it's outside warranty and Schiit charges you for repair, you pay VAT and duty (If applicable) over the repair costs.

Sep 1, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #98,909 of 150,072
No, they don't.
That is different customs code.
The item (that you own) is temporarily exported and re-imported.
At least that is the case in the warranty period and you have to send the original import papers with the goods.

If it's outside warranty and Schiit charges you for repair, you pay VAT and duty (If applicable) over the repair costs.
That's better than I thought ... have you done this ?

Sep 1, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #98,910 of 150,072
That's better than I thought ... have you done this ?
No,I haven't done this, but it is a customs rule that you can look up. I'm sure Schiit also knows how to act in these situations.
I had once an Aegir send back to the USA for repair/investigation. That was an item handled by Sonority, not directly by me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back