Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 27, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #98,476 of 153,221
At a minimum it can be useful to keep power cords and signal cables away from each other.

Cable lifter's? I use a couple of garden pavers to keep some of my cables separate, tile floor on slab.

Chevy's? I learned to drive in my dad's '64 Impala, 327 small block V-8. :smile_cat:
I learned to drive in a '73 Chevelle with a 327 in 1987... my brother got the car for free as salvage and sold the engine for $1,000 and then used the car in a demolition derby at the PNE. I drove it in a later derby and it caught 🔥 fire 🔥... no issues at it had full safety gear... one of my favorite experiences ❤

Aug 27, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #98,477 of 153,221
OK. One more post on cable lifters...

I'm considering doing the following -- in the interest of science of course. Thinking about getting 6 of the cable lifters below and running my speaker cables through the handy cable loops and filling the insulator reservoirs with non-conductive and high thermal coefficient mineral oil. If I do this, I will report back.

Screenshot 2022-08-27 123752.png

If they make no notable difference, I'm pretty sure I can find another use for them. :D

**Of course, if @Jason Stoddard wants to donate to the cause... :D
Fill those with coffee. Leave room for a shot of whiskey. Forget running your cables through them.

Aug 27, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #98,478 of 153,221

I'm considering doing the following -- in the interest of science of course. Thinking about getting 6 of the cable lifters below and running my speaker cables through the handy cable loops and filling the insulator reservoirs with non-conductive and high thermal coefficient mineral oil. If I do this, I will report back.

If they make no notable difference, I'm pretty sure I can find another use for them. :D

OOoooOOoooOoooo...One can only dream of the incredible, indelible, inedible (but drinkable if you switched out the molten dampifiers with some thing more palatable to most folk) liquidity imparted by these devices.

'n' Schiit.

Aug 27, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #98,479 of 153,221
As I mentioned to someone else recently, the area behind my combined HT/Music system in the living room is a rat's nest of RCA cables, power cords, power strips, speaker wire, ethernet cable, routers, power supplies, 12V triggers and relays to extend triggers, HDMI cables, DirecTV coax, multiple amplifier modules, 120V back light for the screen, and an entire family of dust bunnies with no effort whatever made to keep them apart. No hum, no added noise that I can detect, and everything sounds great. No "cable lifters," no tweaks other than power filters and surge suppressors, all OEM power cables. YMMV.

Aug 27, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #98,480 of 153,221
Oh, and I had some 14 year Belvedere tonight. First time for me. Was pretty good, but the 15 year Pappy Van Winkle was kind of um, well, better.
The 15-year Pappy Van Winkle is the best bourbon I've ever drunk. I even preferred it to the 20-year Pappy. They are not easy to find ... great choice, Bill. :)

Aug 27, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #98,481 of 153,221

I'm considering doing the following -- in the interest of science of course. Thinking about getting 6 of the cable lifters below and running my speaker cables through the handy cable loops and filling the insulator reservoirs with non-conductive and high thermal coefficient mineral oil. If I do this, I will report back with the sonic differences observed.

Everyone knows that maple makes the best sounding cable lifters. Sheeez. :laughing:

Aug 27, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #98,482 of 153,221
"Proof" that cable lifters work:
Get a low-quality AM radio with a headphone out.
Connect it to speakers or headphones with an equally low-quality audio cable.
Run the cable over an interference source.
Turn on the radio and tune to a distant station with lots of hiss and crackle.
Now put cable lifters between the interference source and the cables.
Sound should marginally improve.

Aug 27, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #98,483 of 153,221
I think I'll save the $$ and just not run cheap speaker cables over an interference source. Especially if listening to AM radio. 😀

OK - I'll clarify by saying my statement re: lifters assumes care has been taken as it relates to cable management.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #98,484 of 153,221
I’m of the opinion that anti electric car and green energy people either benefit from the gas, coal or oil industries or have been brainwashed by those in the media who do. And anyone who does not understand that the alternative fuel and energy industry is still in its early stages is simply choosing to not see the truth.
Use case:
  1. If you primarily drive on long trips where the recharge time would add several hours to your trip, liquid fuels are preferable.
  2. If you primarily drive to work at 50 miles or less, rarely take long trips and are able to charge at home, electric is preferred.
Gasoline and diesel vehicles have improved in the last several decades. Older designs would have a very noticeable smell of fuel when their engines were warming up. Newer models still have higher emissions at warm up, but it is much less noticeable. Diesel emissions are much better than they used to be. Electric cars have also gotten better with range, power, and energy management. Gas vs electric is solid state vs tubes. :)

Aug 27, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #98,485 of 153,221
"Proof" that cable lifters work:
Get a low-quality AM radio with a headphone out.
Connect it to speakers or headphones with an equally low-quality audio cable.
Run the cable over an interference source.
Turn on the radio and tune to a distant station with lots of hiss and crackle.
Now put cable lifters between the interference source and the cables.
Sound should marginally improve.
Creating a known bad situation in order to show that you have the "fix" for it is not proof of anything other than you figured out how to create a known bad situation. It is a typical tactic used by politicians, however. :)

Aug 27, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #98,486 of 153,221
Aug 27, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #98,488 of 153,221
Yep. My Dad had a Corvair Monza, traded it for a freaking Pontiac Catalina after Ralph Nadir declared Corvair unsafe at any speed. I loved that car. :frowning2:
I started out with a 63 Corvair Spyder, a turbo charged version then I moved on to Chevy V8's including a 327.

Aug 27, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #98,489 of 153,221

I'm considering doing the following -- in the interest of science of course. Thinking about getting 6 of the cable lifters below and running my speaker cables through the handy cable loops, filling the insulator reservoirs with non-conductive and high thermal coefficient mineral oil. If I do this, I will report back with the sonic differences observed.

Fill them with an assortment of single malts, and they will sound even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back