Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 24, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #98,356 of 149,702
Is your DIY fluid similar to the London Jazz Collector fluid?
https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/for-audiophiles/home-brew-cleaner-for-vacuum-rcms/

I use a variety of fluids , but my favorite "cheap" fluid cost $19.95 and makes a gallon. From Audio Advisor--
https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RDRXLP
Very similar. The basics are the water, a surfactant, and alcohol. Distilled water is fine. RO water might be better, but I've never used it. The surfactant is key. I use Triton X-100, but Tergitol is also good. Isopropyl alcohol: I get a kick out of the "99.9% pure" requirement that is so often stated. Never use rubbing alcohol as it contains skin conditioners that aren't going to help condition vinyl. But as long as it's straight isopropyl, anything less than 100% is just water (91% isopropyl is just 9% water). The alcohol is quite diluted by the distilled water in the final mix, so why pay through the nose for a higher alcohol content when you're just going to dilute it anyway? 91% or 93% are cheap and available most anywhere. I also add a couple drops of Hepastat 256 to mine as it not only kills any bugs that may still live but it works as an antistatic agent.

I haven't tried the Record Doctor concentrate, but that's a very respected name in the biz and looks like an economical (and easier) way to go.

Aug 24, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #98,357 of 149,702
My understanding on the second step with distilled water is to remove surfactant residue that can build up on the stylus. There's a lengthy and altogether too thorough discussion of this on the degritter forum on Steve Hoffman.

Also something sciencey about distilled water able to get into the grooves better or some such.

For vacuum system fluid, I've been using mofi super record wash followed by their pure record rinse.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #98,358 of 149,702
Aug 24, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #98,359 of 149,702
I received my Tyrs today, and I had only just ordered on Friday! They only needed to be shipped to Northern California, but it was still an amazingly fast time from placing the order. Ordered on Friday, shipped on Monday, and arrived on Wednesday (today) using the lowest cost shipping option (FedEx Home).

The FedEx email shipping notice clearly said "Direct Signature Required", but the FedEx delivery person merely left them at my front door, rang the doorbell, didn't wait for me, and immediately went back to continuing down the street with a handtruck delivering packages. My front door is a flight of stairs up from the sidewalk and I appreciated that he carried the 100 lbs up the stairs.

I unboxed the Tyrs but haven't set them up yet. It was enough of a challenge wrangling the 50 lb weights out of the boxes and packaging.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #98,360 of 149,702
Now, if my Outback handled like a WRX, it'd be even more fun! But, along with the new dampers I'll get soon, I'll upgrade the rear sway bar, which should improve it's cornering and slight understeer.
Crosstrek. My wife's car is an Outback, mine a Crosstrek. We travel windy CA 1 between Valley Ford and Gualala several times a month. She loves to drive it. Always the Crosstrek.

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #98,361 of 149,702
I received my Tyrs today, and I had only just ordered on Friday! They only needed to be shipped to Northern California, but it was still an amazingly fast time from placing the order. Ordered on Friday, shipped on Monday, and arrived on Wednesday (today) using the lowest cost shipping option (FedEx Home).

The FedEx email shipping notice clearly said "Direct Signature Required", but the FedEx delivery person merely dropped them off at my front door, rang the doorbell, and immediately went back to his handtruck of packages to deliver on my street. My front door is a flight of stairs up from the sidewalk and I did appreciate that he carried the 100 lbs up the stairs.

I unboxed the Tyrs but haven't set them up yet. It was enough of a challenge wrangling the 50 lb weights out of the boxes and packaging.
expecting a full review within 5 minutes of applying power. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aug 25, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #98,362 of 149,702
Cool beans! Did you do a rinse step after the detergent scrub/vacuum using only distilled water? Some say it doesn't make a difference, but it does to my ears. Maybe it just removes any last traces of cleaning solution and or tiny particles that missed getting vacuumed up on the first go 'round. Or maybe it's just the voices in my head. 🤣

And I'll make no claims that any DIY solution is better (or worse) than a commercially produced one. Just cheaper.
Thanks @bcowen

I haven’t tried a ‘rinse step’ yet but can see why it makes sense.

Streaming with Qobuz was so much easier :beyersmile:

I think my Project record cleaner has a faulty bearing, as it’s very noisy.

The Hi Fi dealer in London who I bought it from has agreed to replace it.
Boxed it up last night and they will collect this morning.

I bought some ELAC active speakers (Navis ARB 51) from the same dealer last year and they were a pleasure to deal with.

It is refreshing to find businesses who really look after customers, so I’m glad I went back to them.

I also bought my ‘spare’ cartridge- Ortofon 2M Red MM- from them.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #98,363 of 149,702
As in, Vali 2++. Yes, Vali 2 Plus Plus. Yes, I know it's stupid.
Hell, at least it's not 14nm++++++++ liquid cooled 600watts idle that also happens to run Starcraft! Soon as +++ time to re-think the architecture ;D >> and C++ is a thing, pointers be damned, so that's cool. Yes, embellished; still love Intel.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #98,364 of 149,702
Dunno if this has ever made it to this thread. Something @OldRoadToad would like except for the price...

Can Schiit come up with something clever to compete?

https://shop.mcintoshlabs.com/products/mcintosh-clock
Now THAT, that is gorgeous! Thank you! Great way to start my day. What a cool clock! I can not afford one but that is true of many things but in no way diminishes my appreciation for them! Again, thank you!

Verily, a SchitTime Clock doth seem a worthy item for all goode Schiitizens.

Aug 25, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #98,365 of 149,702
Crosstrek. My wife's car is an Outback, mine a Crosstrek. We travel windy CA 1 between Valley Ford and Gualala several times a month. She loves to drive it. Always the Crosstrek.

I understand. My mom has a current generation Impreza, and that thing is a little go-kart. Much faster steering, and much flatter cornering, than my Outback boat. I only wish it were more accommodating to my Herculean build, as I have to scrunch up to get in and out. 🤨

Aug 25, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #98,366 of 149,702
Waiting for our Lyriq Debut edition to be built - reserved it nearly a year ago. Looking forward to parking it next to my plastic car.
Is that a P4?

I lusted so much after that car. But totally impractical was my conclusion and I didn't want a garage car that only went out when there was a R in the month.

Aug 25, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #98,367 of 149,702
I understand. My mom has a current generation Impreza, and that thing is a little go-kart. Much faster steering, and much flatter cornering, than my Outback boat. I only wish it were more accommodating to my Herculean build, as I have to scrunch up to get in and out. 🤨
My daughter has an Impreza and it has been a great car. Herculean eh? :ksc75smile:

Aug 25, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #98,370 of 149,702
Well, I do free weights almost every day. But, lets say stocky then, with a little muscle and a little fat...! 😅
I used to do the same round trip distance as you when going to work, at todays gas prices I figure it would have cost me around $250 per month or $3,000 per year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back