Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 17, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #98,086 of 150,704
Hey Leo,
Before the E2's my main headphones were the Senn HD700. Those had no problems with that specific "HP buster" track. True, they're not the classic 300 ohm "high" impedance variety at 150 ohms, but relatively speaking, much higher than the Ether's. You got me wondering though - I have a set of HD650's here at work for meetings. Think I'll bring them home tonight and hook the V2 back up and see how that configuration plays. Still going to be too blasted hot to fire the FV up and play but a little warm love from the Valhalla 2 I can tolerate! It is nice to have options!!
The HD650/HD6XX pair really well with the Valhalla 2. I tried the Valhalla with my Sundara's and it was not pleasant. They sound great with other amps.

Aug 17, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #98,087 of 150,704
Not necessarily, I've been to Seattle several times and I think it's great. There are differences, but both places have their strengths.

I will admit that the unhoused situation in Vancouver has gotten even worse this summer.

This is a near a major intersection on the Downtown Eastside in Vancouver.

The homeless situation in California has gone from bad (really bad) to worse since COVID started...
I knew it was a national problem in the US, but thought in Canada it would be better due to your better social care!
San Fransicko, by Michael Shellenberger
Fascinating, non-partisan and data-driven analysis of the how particularly California (but also Seattle and some European cities) is dealing with its homeless problem. Can't recommend highly enough.

Aug 17, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #98,088 of 150,704
Anyone know if liist will work in vali 2+ with adapter?
J40121164443_l.jpg
(Schiit Audio)
Aug 17, 2022, 08:51 PDT
Hello,

We do not recommend using any tube adapters, The voltage for LISST is different and could damage the Vali. Vali uses any 6DJ8, 6922, ECC88, 6N23P, and 6BZ7 tube types.
All the Best,
T.E.

857a6c0eb129dd9cad39817e1b222072
T H
Aug 16, 2022, 16:54 PDT
If I have a 6SN7 adapter for the Vali, then would the LISST tube work?
Thanks
T H

Aug 17, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #98,089 of 150,704
Fascinating, non-partisan and data-driven analysis of the how particularly California (but also Seattle and some European cities) is dealing with its homeless problem. Can't recommend highly enough to any homeless person.
FTFY :laughing:

Aug 17, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #98,090 of 150,704
Fascinating, non-partisan and data-driven analysis of the how particularly California (but also Seattle and some European cities) is dealing with its homeless problem. Can't recommend highly enough.
You know there’s a homeless problem when it’s discussed on a headphone forum.

I’m old enough to remember when homelessness was virtually non existent. Blaming it on misguided progressivism when the country has moved quite substantially to the right over the same time period that homelessness has skyrocketed seems suspect. It’s worth noting that the last time homelessness was this bad was during the Great Depression under a very fiscally conservative government and no progressive safety net.

I suspect the homelessness problem (like most of the major problems facing the US) has multiple causes and is getting worse due to a corrupted political system, lack of critical thinking skills on the part of most people, and desire for simple answers to complex problems.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #98,091 of 150,704
J40121164443_l.jpg
(Schiit Audio)
Aug 17, 2022, 08:51 PDT
Hello,

We do not recommend using any tube adapters, The voltage for LISST is different and could damage the Vali. Vali uses any 6DJ8, 6922, ECC88, 6N23P, and 6BZ7 tube types.
All the Best,
T.E.

857a6c0eb129dd9cad39817e1b222072
T H
Aug 16, 2022, 16:54 PDT
If I have a 6SN7 adapter for the Vali, then would the LISST tube work?
Thanks
T H
Thanks. I’m not sure if they understood that 6sn7 work fine with an adapter. Oh well just get lyr+ I guess :)

actually found this post
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/official-schiit-vali-2-thread.790828/post-12310319

vali 2 og and old lisst seemed to work.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #98,092 of 150,704

I’m old enough to remember when homelessness was virtually non existent. Blaming it on misguided progressivism when the country has moved quite substantially to the right over the same time period that homelessness has skyrocketed seems unlikely. It’s worth noting that the last time homelessness was this bad was during the Great Depression under a very fiscally conservative government and no progressive safety net.

I suspect the homelessness problem (like most of the major problems facing the US) has multiple causes and is getting worse due to a corrupted political system, lack of critical thinking skills on the part of most people, and desire for simple answers to complex problems.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/23/books/review/san-fransicko-michael-shellenberger.amp.html

Aug 17, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #98,094 of 150,704
The homeless situation in California has gone from bad (really bad) to worse since COVID started...
I knew it was a national problem in the US, but thought in Canada it would be better due to your better social care!
Very complicated issue and we also have a huge issue with drug use / deaths (drugs are decriminalized in Canada)

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #98,096 of 150,704
Thanks for correcting. As mentioned, I didn't check the specs. Still, both the Grado and Aeon2's work great with the Espressivio OTL. Not sure what the differences are between the two amps. I guess the Grado's are high impedance vs the Aeon 2's...... LOL.

Regardless,

Thanks again,

Leo
IIRC, grados are 32 ohms and 100dB/mW efficient, Aeon 12 ohms and 92dB/mW. So Aeon takes about 6.3x the power and 10x the current for same volume level. Generally OTL tube amps like valhalla2 are not good with planars unless multiple smaller or a much larger single output tube (they often dwarf the 6SN7) is used.

FV also has solid-state impedance multiplier to decrease the load seen by the tubes (akin to using several locomotive engines on long/heavy freight trains but only the front locomotive controls the direction and speed)

(added)
the Espressivo OTL that also uses same tube compliment as Vahalla 2 (one small signal (e.g. 6N1P / 6922) and one 6N6P output tube per channel) also has a lot of separation between the fully exposed tubes, and is likely driving the 6N6P output tubes at a much higher bias current (i.e. more heat dissipation and shorter tube lifespan) vs VH2 thus the subjectively better performance into low impedance high efficiency (medium current) loads.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #98,097 of 150,704
Alaska chefs do steak about as good as Texas chefs do fish, but there are a couple exceptions. If you can get past the dive bar atmosphere, Club Paris has been serving perfect steaks and martinis for probably 60+ years. Another is the Double Muskey, though I haven’t been there in at least a decade so the quality could have tanked.
That's not entirely fair. While TX cooks batter and deep fry anything they pull out of the Gulf, a river or a lake, there are many Cajun and Creole chefs who can do good things with seafood here.

I’m old enough to remember when homelessness was virtually non existent. Blaming it on misguided progressivism when the country has moved quite substantially to the right over the same time period that homelessness has skyrocketed seems unlikely. It’s worth noting that the last time homelessness was this bad was during the Great Depression under a very fiscally conservative government and no progressive safety net.

Good point. :)

I disagree with this. The "poster cities" for homelessness have had progressive leaders for decades, no matter which way the nationwide electorate is leaning.

However, I agree with this entirely. The bonus is it allows me to be unhappy with every politician. We Americans are not happy unless we're grousing about our politicians.

Aug 17, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #98,098 of 150,704
That's not entirely fair. While TX cooks batter and deep fry anything they pull out of the Gulf, a river or a lake, there are many Cajun and Creole chefs who can do good things with seafood here.

Good point. :)

I disagree with this. The "poster cities" for homelessness have had progressive leaders for decades, no matter which way the nationwide electorate is leaning.

However, I agree with this entirely. The bonus is it allows me to be unhappy with every politician. We Americans are not happy unless we're grousing about our politicians.
🇨🇦 Canadians complain about ours too, especially...

⚠️ WARNING ⚠️ please do not read the rest of this post if you are offended by politics ⚠️

Vancouver's Progressive Mayor and Prime Minister who thought Schiit at the wall and are shocked when it doesn't work.

⚠️ End of politics ⚠️

Thank-you ✌ ☮

Aug 17, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #98,099 of 150,704
IIRC, grados are 32 ohms and 100dB/mW efficient, Aeon 12 ohms and 92dB/mW. So Aeon takes about 6.3x the power and 10x the current for same volume level. Generally OTL tube amps like valhalla2 are not good with planars unless multiple smaller or a much larger single output tube (they often dwarf the 6SN7) is used.

FV also has solid-state impedance multiplier to decrease the load seen by the tubes (akin to using several locomotive engines on long/heavy freight trains but only the front locomotive controls the direction and speed)

(added)
the Espressivo OTL that also uses same tube compliment as Vahalla 2 (one small signal (e.g. 6N1P / 6922) and one 6N6P output tube per channel) also has a lot of separation between the fully exposed tubes, and is likely driving the 6N6P output tubes at a much higher bias current (i.e. more heat dissipation and shorter tube lifespan) vs VH2 thus the subjectively better performance into low impedance high efficiency (medium current) loads.
I appreciate your thoughtful response. Helps me and others learn a bit.

Leo

Aug 17, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #98,100 of 150,704
It shouldn't. 6DJ8, 6922, ECC88, 6CG7, 6BZ7, and 6Н5П should all work. Same as with the Valhalla and Vali.
And 6BQ7A now that you reminded me. I'll have to give the Brimars a spin at some point. D-getter Amperex Holland 6DJ8's are next on deck though. :slight_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back