Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 15, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #98,026 of 152,232
I posted on here a few days ago about an issue with my left ear and hearing loss. Just wanted to share that most of my hearing has come back, high frequencies are still a little muted but much improved. Apparently disaster averted. :jecklinsmile:
Good to hear.... Pun not intended. I had a similar issue, was thought to be an allergic reason. Very relieved once it got better.

Aug 15, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #98,027 of 152,232
Those who fondly remember movies/music in the 1980s, or those who missed it the first time, may want to start saving up for this set due 11/11:
081522hughes.jpg

Available as a set of 6 red vinyl LPs, or 4CD regular or deluxe versions. I say go with the small silver discs - you don't get much more 80s than Compact Discs. Wonder if the Urd will be out in time to play 'em...? Jason? Care to drop any hints?

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #98,028 of 152,232
I posted on here a few days ago about an issue with my left ear and hearing loss. Just wanted to share that most of my hearing has come back, high frequencies are still a little muted but much improved. Apparently disaster averted. :jecklinsmile:
Awesome!!

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #98,029 of 152,232
Good for you!

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #98,030 of 152,232
Hi, folks. I'm back among the living again. Managed to "acquire" COVID back on 7/16, spent about a week with what felt like a bad case of the flu followed by a few weeks of feeling like warm dog poop. Spent this past week getting caught up on everything except for Head-Fi. 188 pages on this thread to catch up with. And a couple other groups to get caught up on.

While I haven't read through everything yet, I have settled in with my Folkvangr, though I did make one tube change - replaced the 6n1p with 6CG7s. The 6CG7 is a 6SN7 in a Noval envelope. Adds some of the 6SN7 type "magic" (for lack of a better word) to the sound of the amp. Which was what I felt was missing in my earlier listening tests before I got ill. With the impedance multiplier engaged, I'm really enjoying the sound with both my LCD-3 and DCA Ether C 'phones. Very engaging, easy to get lost in.

Nights are cooling down here in New England, mid to low 50's, upper 40's. The warmth off the amp is nice.

Aug 15, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #98,031 of 152,232
Hi, folks. I'm back among the living again. Managed to "acquire" COVID back on 7/16, spent about a week with what felt like a bad case of the flu followed by a few weeks of feeling like warm dog poop. Spent this past week getting caught up on everything except for Head-Fi. 188 pages on this thread to catch up with. And a couple other groups to get caught up on.

While I haven't read through everything yet, I have settled in with my Folkvangr, though I did make one tube change - replaced the 6n1p with 6CG7s. The 6CG7 is a 6SN7 in a Noval envelope. Adds some of the 6SN7 type "magic" (for lack of a better word) to the sound of the amp. Which was what I felt was missing in my earlier listening tests before I got ill. With the impedance multiplier engaged, I'm really enjoying the sound with both my LCD-3 and DCA Ether C 'phones. Very engaging, easy to get lost in.

Nights are cooling down here in New England, mid to low 50's, upper 40's. The warmth off the amp is nice.
Welcome back: glad you've recovered and are feeling better.

Wish we had some of that New England coolness here. Florida is getting hotter every year: thinking about moving several hundred miles north.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #98,032 of 152,232

Glad that you're on the mend!

Aug 16, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #98,033 of 152,232
The Lyr+ are out for photography now, both black and silver.

Just waiting for that, and production quantities of boards, and we're rolling.
Great news .... Might there be any chance of Lyr+ making an appearance in Schiit Europe ?

Aug 16, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #98,034 of 152,232

Welcome back @AudioGal.

Good to hear that you have recovered from COVID and also that you are enjoying your Folkvangr.

I was interested to read about the 6CG7 as an alternative to the 6N1P input tubes.

I haven't had a chance to do any 'tube rolling' yet, as I have barely used my new FV.

I do have 2x 6N23 EV 'Reflektor' tubes to try as replacements for the 6N1P, but based on very early impressions, the sound quality is already superb with the stock 6N1Ps.

I also have 8x 'Military grade' 6N6Ps as spares. Can't be too careful! :beyersmile:

My ( limited) understanding, is that the input tubes have the biggest impact on sound quality in the FV.

I really appreciated guidance from @Paladin79 when sourcing some 'valves' here in the UK.
His view was that the Reflektor 6N23 EV is superior to the standard 6N1P. That was good enough for me.:relaxed:

I wish we had temperatures of high 40s and 50s here in UK!

We have experienced record high temperatures this summer as well as a drought.

Temperatures have been at almost 90F for days on end ( 30C+) and even at night it has barely dropped below 80F!

Aug 16, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #98,035 of 152,232

Welcome back Audiogal and I am sorry to hear about your illness.

Tom

Aug 16, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #98,036 of 152,232

Glad to hear. My longest lingering symptom when I had my bout with the 'rona a couple months ago was clogged up eustachian tubes. They simply wouldn't pop (or un-pop, I guess) for just over a week. Long enough for my to worry that maybe they never would? I had something like 40% of my normal hearing volume, but then that was mostly drowned out by near constant tinnitus. Not fun! Glad it went away, the existential worry was at least as unbearable as the physical symptoms.

Oof, rough symptoms. Glad they passed and you're on the mend. Even vaxxed and boosted, this current wave seems to be knocking people out for a week or so. Makes me scared about what the symptoms would have gotten to sans vaccination, especially when my late-60s parents caught it two weeks ago.

Also glad about the temps coming back down here in New England. Yesterday and this morning felt like a hint of autumn after the last month or so of >95 F days.

Welcome back: glad you've recovered and are feeling better.

Wish we had some of that New England coolness here. Florida is getting hotter every year: thinking about moving several hundred miles north.

Moving north highly recommended: https://www.axios.com/2022/08/15/extreme-heat-belt-global-warming

My wife and I were considering western NC/Asheville area as a retirement plan, now it's looking more like VT/NH/Maine are the safe bets.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #98,039 of 152,232

Glad to hear you're back amongst the living! Let's keep it that way! :relaxed: Have you heard any limitations with the Ether C's when plugged into the FV? If you push them with some deep bass, any concerns? For point of reference, trying to play Loreena McKennitt's 'The Mummers' Dance' through my Valhalla 2 really opened my eyes to what "muddy" sounds like. I haven't had a chance to do much but leer admiringly at mine because it's been too frakking hot to do much else with it. :disappointed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back