Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 13, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #9,781 of 165,189

You're right - that would be absolutely perfect from a marketing standpoint !   Crap all over the audio discussion in order to promote the company 1.3% more.  It's what marketing is all about, after all.

I like to believe that this is more of a free exchange of topics of interest among the audiophilic community on this thread at this point.  I hadn't seen an appearance of the OT police for a while...

I have no problem with skimming through prosaic posts myself. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #9,782 of 165,189

You're right - that would be absolutely perfect from a marketing standpoint !   Crap all over the audio discussion in order to promote the company 1.3% more.  It's what marketing is all about, after all.

I thought that this thread was all about the company.  Product discussions come when Jason lets new ideas slip and gorilla marketing is tested.
I pity the person, just joining now and trying to catch up!  So since Jason started the tread, he can lead us where ever he wants!

Wait a minute, that sounds like marketing!

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #9,783 of 165,189
 I'm having an incredibly difficult time overcoming the lower working class attitude toward work that I grew up with that says that a secure hourly is the treasure and that owning a company is something that wealthy people who can afford the risk can do.

You've some french ancestors, for sure 
biggrin.gif

Ali

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #9,784 of 165,189

oot & aboot,    

Naw, I lost Danish flavorings decades ago.  If I'm back home in Manitowoc Wi I'll regress quickly.

Besides, I'd druther do those deep south "y'all" types of folksiness, especially "all y'all" whenever I can, people love that one!, kinda makes me one of them (somehow), a great Ice-breaker!  

I can stop a Brit dead in his tracks with an "all y'all" sort of question: Why do "all y'all" like your beer warm? That one kills em, they'll stare for a couple of moments.  They'll say something like "Beg your Pardon" with question marks all over their faces, great fun.

Inciting hyperbole? (overstatement) hmm, I'd rather it wasn't an exaggeration, I have bets about this Company's progress.  Like the bet I'll make with you that Schiit's next product will be an Asgard 3 Twin-Triode tube roller.  Betcha a Pistachio Ice cream!  In fact I'll bet all y'all "Myriads" of us.  

Tony having just bought a couple thousand gal. of stinky-ass Diesel. peeeyou   

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #9,785 of 165,189
Wait, what? You don't automatically claim ownership of employee-created intellectual property like so many Silicon Valley companies do?

That's...unexpectedly awesome!

THIS is the stuff I want to hear about, because it's going to affect how I would hire, etc. if anything I do grows large enough. Even worker's cooperatives have hired employees because it's needed as a testing time and it allows the prospective worker-owner a way to have funds taken out of their check (given back if they're fired or they quit) that would go toward buying a stake in their business share.

Funding is always mentioned as the biggest bugaboo in getting a worker's cooperative up and running.

Disastermouse, If you're at all interested in alternative governance models you might Google holacracy. It's not a panacea for anything but does empower everyone from the janitor to the CEO to transcnd limitations of vision and power. While still a work in progress it's worth a look imo.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #9,786 of 165,189
Disastermouse, If you're at all interested in alternative governance models you might Google holacracy. It's not a panacea for anything but does empower everyone from the janitor to the CEO to transcnd limitations of vision and power. While still a work in progress it's worth a look imo.

I actually have looked into it, but the audiobook I have about it is so dry that it's ridiculous. Usually I love this stuff, but wow. Just...I'm asleep or thinking about something else within minutes.

From what I can gather, it's just another way to try to tame capitalism's harsh edges. I should try to listen again, though. The website looked interesting.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #9,787 of 165,189
Three things:

1- If one does not know that this forum thread is one form of a Schitt marketing strategy then…

2- This must be the most honest form of marketing posable and I tip my hat to Jason and Mike for a rare openness. I have learned more in the last two months of digging through this lengthy thread then a life time of being a part time audiophile.

3-  I have been researching for a new system for almost six months and had myself set on a new CD transport, DAC, amp, and speakers. I had decided on the Rag Yag combo but then Jason, or was it Mike, whispered the phrase "2 channel". Oops, never should have mentioned that at least until the slow summer season. Now, I had just jumped off the fence so I could pull out my wallet and you guys open the gate! My pockets are not so deep that I can afford both your Rag amp and what I am sure is going to be the next audiophile double barrel game blaster!  Hope I can wait that long...

Ok, one more… I look forward to reading all the contributions on this thread daily regardless of the thread drift and occasional train wreck; its a good read and truly informative.

M. Paul

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #9,788 of 165,189

Schiit is also highly incentive-based. We pay large (up to 35% of salary, this year) bonuses based on performance, we pay royalties on staff-created products (like Wyrd), and we invest in R&D time and hard cost for employees who are working on speculative products (and then pay royalties if it turns into a product.) And I've advised people to go off and do their own thing (while they are still working for us,) when I see a market opportunity and it's too far out of reach. It's much less a wage job than it is a platform to do more of what you want. Or at least that's what we're trying to make it. 

The concept of Empowering Individuals to not only excel at their Jobs but the freedom to try their ideas and possibly earning royalties for their ideas would definitely attract hordes of people, however I would suspect, the people on your team need to have the mindset and drive to realize these benefits.An environment like this encourages individual growth as well as company growth.  I would be curious what process and criteria (besides the skills needed for the job) is used to when interviewing individuals. I have seen countless people fail when put in a positions where there is no micro manager. I may be wrong but my experience is certain personality traits have to be present for one to thrive in this environment.

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #9,789 of 165,189
It has been an EXCELLENT day. One new product is 100% running without issue with the delivery of a new, lower-field transformer, and another just plugged in and ran....well, except for me using the wrong pinout on the FETs. All well...

And yeah, I hear you...I'll make sure I cover hiring/incentives/etc at some point this year. The bottom line is that there are many people who are comfortable with "only a job." And that's fine. The trick is letting people do what they want to do. We're not all out to start our own business or design products at Schiit. But the ones who want to, and have the capability of doing it, should be encouraged (and not shackled by "ha ha, you did the work, we get all the glory" BS small-print in the employee manual.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 13, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #9,791 of 165,189
Jason:

How did you know at such a young age what sort of work you wanted to do?

When I was in high school, I just checked out completely. I had previously been straight-As, but I just couldn't care about anything other than Art, English, and History classes.

I come from a family of makers and mechanics but because I was intellectual, no one taught me anything about it and since I wanted to know the 'why' and not just the what, my father usually chased me out of the garage.

I worked the lowest paid service jobs imaginable, always worried about getting fired. I moved all over the country just painting and writing in my free time. I learned massage therapy but had no faith in my ability to run my own practice.

At 26, I panicked and chose nursing because my mother and aunts did it. It paid well and was complex.

I'm 41 now and I'm doing annual refresher training as I type this (on break between circus acts) and as I've been going through the stations, it feels like nursing school. I hate everything about it and I realize now that I've ALWAYS hated it. I hated it in school. Nursing school was easy for me, but I hated it. And I wonder just how screwed up I must have been (and continue to be) to choose a job that is so mismatched to any of my natural gifts or interests. I want to make things! Not electronics necessarily, but furniture, mechanisms that solve problem, and just more beautiful and functional objects than what the modern world passes off as adequate. I get a charge out of putting something in this world that wasn't there before and knowing that I don't know exactly what it will be when it's done. But I will know when it's done. You always know and you feel like Schiit when you've put it out and it's not done. It nags at you. You just can't let it be until you've put every bit of your ability into it and then when it is done, there's peace.

So how did you know to do this and how did you have the clarity of mind and purpose to follow it from an early age?

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #9,793 of 165,189
So how did you know to do this and how did you have the clarity of mind and purpose to follow it from an early age?

If there is anything I am sure of, after growing up myself, and then raising my son, it is that 18 years is  far too little time to have any idea what you want to do with your life.

I think that people who start on a career track early:

* Are manipulated to do so by their parents (think Olympic gymnasts, figure skaters, etc)

* Happen by sheer chance to encounter something when they are young and impressionable and are in just the right frame of mind to want to do something as their expression of their personal identity.

Obviously, with 7 billion people, there are exceptions, but I think that those are the two possibilities until you are roughly 25 years old at a minimum.

Remember that the whole concept of choosing an occupation is a) contrary to genetic hard-wiring, and b) contrary to the norm until the 19th Century.

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #9,794 of 165,189
Jason:

How did you know at such a young age what sort of work you wanted to do?

When I was in high school, I just checked out completely. I had previously been straight-As, but I just couldn't care about anything other than Art, English, and History classes.

I come from a family of makers and mechanics but because I was intellectual, no one taught me anything about it and since I wanted to know the 'why' and not just the what, my father usually chased me out of the garage.

I worked the lowest paid service jobs imaginable, always worried about getting fired. I moved all over the country just painting and writing in my free time. I learned massage therapy but had no faith in my ability to run my own practice.

At 26, I panicked and chose nursing because my mother and aunts did it. It paid well and was complex.

I'm 41 now and I'm doing annual refresher training as I type this (on break between circus acts) and as I've been going through the stations, it feels like nursing school. I hate everything about it and I realize now that I've ALWAYS hated it. I hated it in school. Nursing school was easy for me, but I hated it. And I wonder just how screwed up I must have been (and continue to be) to choose a job that is so mismatched to any of my natural gifts or interests. I want to make things! Not electronics necessarily, but furniture, mechanisms that solve problem, and just more beautiful and functional objects than what the modern world passes off as adequate. I get a charge out of putting something in this world that wasn't there before and knowing that I don't know exactly what it will be when it's done. But I will know when it's done. You always know and you feel like Schiit when you've put it out and it's not done. It nags at you. You just can't let it be until you've put every bit of your ability into it and then when it is done, there's peace.

In short, I didn't. Through grade school and high school, I went from the generic "a scientist" to "a doctor" to "a cardiologist" to "a photographer," and "a writer." When I hit college, I figured I had to choose something, so I picked engineering, since (a) that's what my dad did, and (b) it seemed like a reasonable way to make good money. 

Along the way in college, I got bit by the audio bug and started building speakers, and dabbled in electronics as a senior project. That's when I decided that audio was what I wanted to do. 

Of course, the reality of the engineering downturn as I got out of school led me to an engineering position at a government contractor (barf), which I sprinted headlong from into the first real audio job I could find (at Sumo). I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Nor did I have any clue how fragile Sumo was, or that they would be simultaneously a company that forced me to really learn the technology I'd chosen...and a company that made a ton of mistakes in the way it was operated.

From there, I got an opportunity to work with Theta, which was also a dichotomy: the best money for the least work, but also a company in transition, as Mike and his business partner went in different directions, which put an end to the gravy train. It was also where I learned how to run a successful company from Mike Moffat, who was at the top of his game, and ran Theta in much the same way as Schiit...in fact, I think most of the progressive stuff we've done at Schiit has been a carbon copy of early Theta. 

And then, with Theta no longer viable for me, and Sumo imploding, I took a 15-year detour into marketing. Why? Because I had a knack for it, and it was easy. At least easier than finding the capital to start an audio company. Hint: consulting companies are a LOT easier to start than manufacturing....but that also means (a) you have a lot more competition, and (b) your clients are still your bosses. 

And, in the middle of all that, I wrote and published about 3 dozen stories and 3 books. The old way, through conventional publishers. But I consider that a cul-de-sac, at least for me. I don't have the intestinal fortitude to do the heavy self-promotion and marketing required to be successful in publishing. 

It took the downturn of 2008/9 to bring me back to audio...and to reject almost literally everything I'd been indoctrinated with on the marketing side. I had no idea that Schiit would grow the way it did; it was supposed to be a "hobby business," to insulate the Centric marketing juggernaut from any future downturns. Now, it's the other way around...Centric is the "hobby business." Which is one reason I want to do a marketing book, and to make some major changes in the way Centric does business...to see if ht can be reinvented, in the same way Schiit reinvented (part of) the audio biz.

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #9,795 of 165,189
Back in the old Theta days, I realized that our workers did indeed appreciate platitudes and compliments on jobs well done.  What they really appreciated however, was money.  I also have learned over a lot of years, that if you treat people as adults, you almost always get adults.  If you don't, they were not a good fit as our workers.  You hand someone a over four figure bonus check, and they really appreciate it, and become much more self-managing.  How I fell into this at Theta some thirty years ago was when I asked the workers whether they wanted me to spend on a manager salaries or to split that money on them or pay them a bonus based on our companies' profit.

Many other companies treat them like kids and they get resentful kids.  Good management always looks in the mirror first and cleans their own side of the street.

And as a mention to the prior post, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up, because at age 67, I still have more growing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back