Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 29, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #97,188 of 149,297
So I have the Zu omen, and have used them with Vidar, Ragnarok 2, and the Marantz PM6006.

I use the resistors with both Vidar and Ragnarok, but found the Marantz sounded better without.

The resistors weirdly seems to improve efficiency of the Zu. As many of you know sound still comes out of your speakers if you use Saga/Freya and a power amp, even with the volume turned all the way down. With the resistors in play, the Zu play louder at zero volume....

In terms of actual usage, I found the sound to be more detailed, and seem fuller. It was not a subtle change, at least to my ears. I recently took the resistors out and played ragnarok for a while before putting them back in for the same song selections.. the resistors stay...

I hope to get a tube amp someday, I'm expecting the resistors to not play as well with a tube amp..

Im not up to snuff on the technical stuff like many here, but I'm wondering if its a matter of current vs volts?

If you have Zu speakers but dont have any of their resistors I would suggest you order some to play with.

One of these days I'm going to order the ones that knock my omens impedance down 3.7 ish, to see how well they play with Vidar..
Interesting - thanks for sharing! Where did you get the resistors and what resistor values did you use? Also, how does the Ragnarok 2 sound with the Zus?

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #97,189 of 149,297
re: resisters on amplifier outputs. Back when I was in the car audio business I can't tell you how many kids would say, "The amp puts out 200 watts into my 4-ohm sub, but if I put a 4-ohm resister in parallel then the amp puts out 400 watts and I get more power!" To which my reply was (cue Foghorn Leghorn voice): "Son, I say son, half that power gets eaten up by the resister and all you do is load your electrical system harder!" They often just didn't get it.

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #97,190 of 149,297
Just got my shipment notice for the Bifrost 2/64 upgrade card. Should have it within the next few days. Ordered within an hour from the announcement.
Just saw that mine is now marked as paid, so hopefully that means mine will ship soon as well!

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #97,191 of 149,297
Just got my shipment notice for the Bifrost 2/64 upgrade card. Should have it within the next few days. Ordered within an hour from the announcement.
Mine is on the way as well

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #97,192 of 149,297
re: resisters on amplifier outputs. Back when I was in the car audio business I can't tell you how many kids would say, "The amp puts out 200 watts into my 4-ohm sub, but if I put a 4-ohm resister in parallel then the amp puts out 400 watts and I get more power!" To which my reply was (cue Foghorn Leghorn voice): "Son, I say son, half that power gets eaten up by the resister and all you do is load your electrical system harder!" They often just didn't get it.
If they're not using a 200W resister, they may soon be back to 200W into 4 ohm loading on their system. And a nice little puff of magic smoke as well.

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #97,193 of 149,297
Jul 29, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #97,195 of 149,297
One other question. Does Roon support offline listening on an iPhone with flac files?
There's been some discussion about mobile/offline play getting into their roadmap, but nothing has been announced so far. It would be nice!

Jul 29, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #97,196 of 149,297
Anyone with either Gungnir or Folkvangr able to advise which power cable belongs to which here? Had them both unhooked and now I don't know which was which. Prepping the replacement Gungnir (story a couple weeks back in thread about Gungnir sample rate change issue) to go back sadly for a similar issue.

20220729_111412.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #97,197 of 149,297
Anyone with either Gungnir or Folkvangr able to advise which power cable belongs to which here? Had them both unhooked and now I don't know which was which.
I don’t think it matters at all. Both of mine are standard power cords with an IEC-C13 connector in one end and a wall plug in the other. The only difference I see is that my FV came with a straight wall plug and Gungnir with an angled wall plug.

Jul 29, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #97,198 of 149,297
Anyone with either Gungnir or Folkvangr able to advise which power cable belongs to which here? Had them both unhooked and now I don't know which was which. Prepping the replacement Gungnir (story a couple weeks back in thread about Gungnir sample rate change issue) to go back sadly for a similar issue. And on an even more sad coda, awaiting for clarification follow up as the Return Authorization they sent me has me paying for shipping and restock fee on the faulty unit. Not great!

20220729_111412.jpg
Left is FK, right is Gungnir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back