Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 29, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #97,171 of 150,476
Depends on how you respond. My ex-wife asked me if her new jeans made her look FAT, and I plead the 5th. That didn't work well. 🤣
At least it wasn’t ⬆️

Jul 29, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #97,172 of 150,476

Front: Appears only to have CD tray (left), display (right) and buttons to move track to track, fast-forward, eject etc. Buttons to change input, Hole for the remote receiver.
You can hook up a streamer, PC, laptop to 2 USB ports in the back and can do A-B with the CD.
With names like Marantz, Denon, what kind of storage devices are you referring to?
I used Google, but couldn't find any. Audio file storage is normally a SSD, HDD or NAS (build with the former components).
Cambridge doesn't have Unison™ USB :sunglasses:
Yes, you're right. With their calling it a "digital hub" of sorts I was hoping that one of the USB ports on the back would be able to read files from flash or hard drives like I'm currently able to do with my Sony that I'm using as a transport. The brands of other players I mentioned also have that capability. It's very convenient to just hook up an external drive and have the files read by the player/transport.

And I KNOW that Cambridge doesn't have Schiit's Unison USB which doesn't matter to me anyway considering my listening setup & preferences. I currently use SPDIF only.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #97,173 of 150,476
Now, that looks workable! Thanks a ton for posting that.

One other question. Does Roon support offline listening on an iPhone with flac files?

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #97,174 of 150,476
The amount of detail varies by album, but I find it to be very good. Here are a couple of examples, when opening credits on a track:...
Nice. None of that nonsensical artist stuff for classical, finally.

I always wonder. For more modern music (say after the 18th century :)), when St Vincent covers Funkytown, how does Roon handle that?

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #97,175 of 150,476
The answer is always “that looks good on you”. Even if it is a trash bag and tin foil hat. And never ever pause before saying it. Hesitation is a dead giveaway. 😁
Right, and actually, the second skin nature of a trash bag would be insanely hot, both figuratively and literally. Non-breathable materials not FTW ;-(

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #97,176 of 150,476
Jul 29, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #97,177 of 150,476
Yes, you're right. With their calling it a "digital hub" of sorts I was hoping that one of the USB ports on the back would be able to read files from flash or hard drives like I'm currently able to do with my Sony that I'm using as a transport. The brands of other players I mentioned also have that capability. It's very convenient to just hook up an external drive and have the files read by the player/transport.

And I KNOW that Cambridge doesn't have Schiit's Unison USB which doesn't matter to me anyway considering my listening setup & preferences. I currently use SPDIF only.
That sounds like that would require some kind of software to read and navigate the external drive. Jason and Mike have stated that they won't be getting into anything that involves that kind of thing and good on them because I would much prefer our beloved Schiit resources to be dedicated to what they're good at. Bluesound and others can battle it out in the digital source arena and Schiit can continue making stereo separates and any other crazy device that they get the gumption to pursue. Speaking of, I don't hear enough talk about the Schiit Urd being an engine/processor for the long fabled *Schiit Gadget*. This should not be overlooked.

The history of the Schiit Gadget. (video)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #97,178 of 150,476

Where is the video link for this?

Jul 29, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #97,179 of 150,476
So Urd can't read files on a cd inserted into it's drive?
The generic answer is "no it can't." Audio CD's do not contain files unless one insists on calling the essentially single byte stream a file. The audio format has no relation to the format used for data CD's which do have a filesystem and files and those files cannot be played by URD.

Jul 29, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #97,181 of 150,476
I realize that not everyone wants to dedicate the resources towards a dedicated Roon server but I've had great luck with Roon ROCK running on an Intel NUC.
I have had Roon Remote on various IOS devices crash on occasion but the server itself has been rock solid since I set it up ~18 months ago.
As always, YMMV.

It doesn't have to be dedicated.

Mine runs on my home file server with a bunch of other apps. I've never had a problem with it being sluggish, but it is a Core i7-6700 with 16GB RAM.

Jul 29, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #97,182 of 150,476
Different it the better (pun intended) word to use.
You can add "in a positive way to my ears and on my gear" to the word different. Or use words like: I prefer xx to yy.
I have a friend, who, when I say I won the prize for the best research paper in history, corrects me.

I guess he doesn't understand I do not wish to be corrected.
The generic answer is "no it can't." Audio CD's do not contain files unless one insists on calling the essentially single byte stream a file. The audio format has no relation to the format used for data CD's which do have a filesystem and files and those files cannot be played by URD.
How complicated would it be to add a 4 way touch pad and screen that reads out text?

Jul 29, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #97,184 of 150,476
Here is a well informed (ahum) guy on YouTube that informs about The Texas Audio Roundup.
Please listen at around 18 seconds in the video. That must be the best informed channel on YouTube. Hilarious.

German Skit!

Jul 29, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #97,185 of 150,476
Where is the video link for this?
It was mentioned in one of their live streams from maybe 1-2 years ago when they first showed the chassis design. That's all I remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back