Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 23, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #96,841 of 152,548
Quick update on the Bifrost 2/64: once the new firmware is installed, you can swap back and forth between the original Bifrost 2 cards (AD5781 x 2) and the Bifrost 2/64 cards (DAC8812 x 4) cards at will. It will detect which card is which and will work for both. No firmware changes needed when swapping back and forth, so compare away!

Yes, it has two analog inputs, selectable via front panel or remote. No on-board modules.
Does the new NOS mode work on the old card with the new firmware?

Jul 23, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #96,842 of 152,548
Does the new NOS mode work on the old card with the new firmware?
It should. Dsp (megacomboburrito) filter resides on the motherboard.

(Unrelated)
Lyr+ makes a nice 2-input preamp, and being a headphone amp it has a very low output impedance / good capability to drive long interconnects to monoblock amps

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #96,843 of 152,548
11634399.jpg

Being an audio Philistine, I have no idea what tube this is but it does look cool! I wonder what the new Lyr+ would look like with this or some thing similar.

Shallow, I know. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #96,844 of 152,548
11634399.jpg

Being an audio Philistine, I have no idea what tube this is but it does look cool! I wonder what the new Lyr+ would look like with this or some thing similar.

Psvane 6SN7.

Jul 23, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #96,845 of 152,548
Jul 23, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #96,846 of 152,548
As long as the power doesn't go out.
Nah, @Jason Stoddard had power sent in from CA...

For 150 bones, I can't think of a better sounding amp anywhere near it's price. :L3000:
I continue to be amazed by how good Schiit "entry level" gear sounds. Gateway drug indeed. Whatever Grados I first tried with the Vali/ Modi 2 MB stack sounded pretty good. I couldn't resesit and plugged in a pair of ZMF Verite closed-backs and just enjoyed. Perhaps just as impressive is climbing the ladder can bring worthwhile benefits over the already good first rung.
20220722_123432.jpg
Just sat in an LRS+ demo. CD->Freya->Vidar->LRS+ at AudioFest. Plenty of juice for that room and music. Speakers sounded good. Got to hear the new dipole subwoofers as well. Very impressive!!! Good job Magnepan!
Absolutely. In their tiny hotel room the prototype Magnepan sub sounded really good. Wendell played a percussion track and they were so fast some of the transients hurt. I'd have to hear some electronic synth bass to tell just how low they can go, but they were impressive. The LRS + subs may turn out to be very Schiity in terms of performance/value.

Wendell told a short story I found poignant and amusing at the same time. The LRS were created to provide Magnepan a speaker they could affordably ship to prospective customers to provide a taste of Maggie sound even with the internet death of dealer networks.

11634399.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #96,851 of 152,548
One of the things I wanted to do at the Texas Audio Roundup was hear Folkvangr. Mission accomplished, sort of. Since @Jason Stoddard mentioned my new favorite head phone by name in one of his posts, I had the perverse desire to hear my HE-6 driven by Folkvangr. But I forgot my 4-pin x 1/4" TRS adapter at home. D'oh! And @Jason Stoddard, who must have known I was coming, forbid any of the crew from bringing any adapters. Schiit...

I got to listen to Folkvangr, though, first with a pair of DCA Stealth. You may have noticed I generally use terms like "not for me" and "didn't push my buttons" since audio is such a subjective pursuit. Not this time, the Folkvangr/ Stealth was a bad combination, they did not get along well at all. Under-powered, no bass, closed in, not dynamic. Everything one might expect from reading @Jason Stoddard's posts about what he expected Folkvangr to be good at.

Then I plugged in a pair of ZMF Atrium... Yup, ZMF like tubes, and I think Folkvangr likes ZMF. That combination sounded like @ArmchairPhilosopher's photo of Folkvangr. It sounded like a campfire burning low on a chilly autumn evening and made me feel like like sliding deeper into my sleeping bag as the world faded away and all that remained was me, the low orange glow and my music.

That said, I think I am one who would not be satisfied with Folkvangr in the long term. I'd miss the analytical side my Mjolnir I brings. I bumped into @Jason Stoddard a second time just after listening to Folkvangr and thanked him for Mjolnir. That said, I can absolutely see why Folkvangr fans are fans. It is beguiling. And TOTALLY different from the solid state Mjolnir I. What a great hobby to have so many choices and kudos to Schiit for brining some to us.

[edit] Oh, and I agree with @ArmchairPhilosopher, the Folkvangr and Elex sound weird together.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #96,852 of 152,548
Would love to see a new Modi Multibit for the budget/poor guys.

20220722_123432.jpg

Jason can be such a troll sometimes!

That is a (currently vaporware) Modi MB 2 chilling right there! :confused:

Not cool, bro!! :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #96,853 of 152,548
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #96,854 of 152,548

Jason can be such a troll sometimes!

There is a (currently) vaporware Modi MB 2 chilling right there! :confused:

Not cool, bro!! :sweat_smile:
There’s no Modi Multibit (OG or gen 2) due to the shortage of ADI DSP chips. :slight_frown:

On the other hand the shortage of ADI 5781 DAC chips also resulted in the release of BF2/64. :L3000:

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #96,855 of 152,548
A video of a Roundup interview with Jason (pulled from the Folkvangr thread):

Saw this very curious moment starting at 3:51, likely a trolljob, of someone wearing a Schiit t-shirt and wearing headphones connected to a Magni-style chassis passes through the camera frame (and, of course, stops and turns toward the camera). There's no apparent power source so it immediately made me think a battery-powered Magni, but likely a trolljob :upside_down:

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 5.53.25 PM.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back