Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 10, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #96,076 of 151,562
Jul 10, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #96,077 of 151,562
One question since I dipped my toe into tubes (4x Schiit coasters for a set of gifts one year) and then jumped into the deep end - when I turn the Folkvangr off, should it make tinkling-popping noises as it starts to cool off? All the tubes still light and glow and it works, but my assumption this is part of the heat cycling and why turning anything on and off leads to shorter life (machines like to startup and stay running from my experience).
It’s fine. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Jul 10, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #96,079 of 151,562
Yeah, that's normal. I very rarely hear it with 6SN7s in my Lyr 3, but I do hear it often with the smaller noval tubes in my Valhalla 2. Especially the power tubes.

Jul 11, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #96,081 of 151,562
Okay, first tubes and I wasn't sure if I should hear the thermal cooldown/if it was supposed to make those noises as it cools down.
I didn't buy my first car until I was like 27 or something, barely even drove before that, just to get a license. The first time I heard my car cool down, I was like, what the hell is that noise?!?!?

Jul 11, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #96,083 of 151,562
Yes, the clinking noises after power-off are just normal thermal cool-down, I get that with my Lyr3 all the time. I always attributed it to the metal contracting as it cools down.

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #96,085 of 151,562
Some of us have lives. Others choose to merely exist. I CHOOSE TO LIVE!!!! :D

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #96,087 of 151,562
Jul 11, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #96,088 of 151,562
I’ve just had an email from
Laura at Schiit confirming that my Folkvangr has shipped.:relaxed:

I ordered on 2 July and my credit card company (Barclaycard) did a good job of screwing up the whole order.

They decided, without advising me, to decline the payment to Schiit as it had been flagged by their ‘fraud team’.

I discovered this today, at 5pm local time in UK.

It took an hour for anybody to answer the phone, at Barclaycard, and then there were further delays while they consulted the ‘Fraud Team’

They offered neither an explanation nor an apology for deciding to block a legitimate payment.

I exchanged emails with Schiit after being forced to cancel the original order and place a new one.

I thought I might end up at the back of the queue, but Laura picked up the re-order and arranged for it to be packed and shipped.

She did this in about 15 minutes!

What fantastic service!
Thank you Laura.

The difference in customer service between Barclaycard and Schiit couldn’t be starker.

I will be closing my account with Barclaycard, but I am sure I will buy even more gear from Schiit.

In the UK it is becoming almost impossible to find companies, or Government Agencies, who provide an acceptable level of service.

Schiit is a breath of fresh air.

A friend of mine in the UK ordered his first Schiit products about a week ago, purely on my recommendation.(Magni 3+ and Loki).

The items arrived today.

He said the whole experience of dealing with Schiit was excellent, the products are beautifully made, and they sound great!

Thanks again.:relaxed:

I look forward to getting my Folkvangr…:beyersmile:
Good reason to change bank!

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #96,089 of 151,562

Users who are viewing this thread

Back