Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 9, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #96,031 of 155,069
And you are using the pair of tubes I really like lol. Current value of those tubes I would estimate at $550 up. The copper itself is a great conductor of heat so quite a bit will dissipate through that top plate. Good luck with the ash tray, stick with your usual tiparillos and you will be fine. :L3000: Oh yeah you might want to touch up the paint on your transformer cover, it got marred a bit in the process.
Great minds hear alike, I suppose? 🤣

Jul 9, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #96,033 of 155,069
A WE421A and a TSBGRP?

Jul 9, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #96,035 of 155,069
Fun fact: What he's holding actually is an alphorn—in its … uhm … unexcited state. 🤪

Speaking of alphorns…

1657378646643.png
49th Allgäuer Alphorn meeting in 2007. Not my photo (source), but I happened to be at that event as well, funny enough.

Quite the unwieldy instrument. It's usually made from a solid piece of spruce. The distinctive curve of the bell comes from the fact that they historically used spruces that were harvested from steep mountainsides. Funny enough, since it uses a brass mouth piece, it's actually a brass instrument, not a wood wind.

Its sound is somewhat adjacent to that of a French horn, actually. They're both similar in length (depending on the desired base tone usually between about 8 ft (C) and 14 ft (E minor), but much longer ones exist as well, compared to a modern French horn's 12-ish ft), and they use the same mouth piece as French horns. But since it's made of wood, the sound you get from an alphorn is a good bit softer and warmer overall. And obviously much more restricted in range compared to the French horn, since it doesn't have holes or valves that would allow you to alter the length of the air column. And you obviously can't reach the bell to influence the pitch with your hand, either.

Works well solo as well as in large groups.

And it's just as unforgiving as the French horn, too. Make the slightest mistake and you end up with a cracked tone. In a prior life, when I was still a member of the local volunteer fire department (Which tends to be the standard in Germany for towns with a population of less than about 100k, so it's not all that unusual to have been a volunteer fire fighter at some point in your life. Tons of fun, and obviously a big hit with the ladies. Also a huge growth opportunity for a still brain-dead and overly entitled teenage brat such as myself; to be the first responder to a scene where some a$$hat street racer just wrapped his dad's 3 series BMW around a tree, driver's side first at 100 miles an hour, that sure puts a few things into perspective for ya.) I played (to put it rather favorably) the fanfare trumpet in their marching band. So I have a tiny bit of experience with fixed-length brass horns. When I eventually had the opportunity to try an alphorn, I couldn't get as much as two successive straight tones out of it, try as I might.

So I have all the more respect for those who can just step up to one and make it sound as beautiful as it can be. Unfortunately—unless you happen to be one of the world's most accomplished French horn players such as Sarah Willis—it takes a lifetime of practice to get a proper hang of it.

Maybe, some day, I'll fly back home and buy one. I'm sure my neighbors will appreciate the years of practice sessions that it'll take me to get even halfway decent at it. Should be a ton of fun, though, to stand up on Glacier Point and blow a tune down into Yosemite Valley, freaking out a few of the non-Rhaetian tourists. 🤣

Dang it, now I'm actually a bit homesick. 😳
I guess I did that to myself… 😅

Nice post! Sarah Willis is one of the MOST INCREDIBLE people on the planet! Thank you for introducing her to this thread!

Jul 9, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #96,036 of 155,069
I plead ignorance, since I have not auditioned either tube.
I have 😂😂😂😂, now what I cannot recall is if I heard both at the same time.

Jul 9, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #96,039 of 155,069
I plead ignorance, since I have not auditioned either tube.

I have the WE421A and have a hard time truly distinguishing it from a 5998A.

Never had the privilege of hearing a TSBGRP, sadly, although I've heard great things about them.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #96,040 of 155,069
I have the WE421A and have a hard time truly distinguishing it from a 5996A.

Never had the privilege of hearing a TSBGRP, sadly, although I've heard great things about them.
I did not have the 421’s for very long, I did a purchase to help a gentleman in England.

Jul 9, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #96,041 of 155,069
A WE421A and a TSBGRP?

I see that WE is thinking about producing more tube types. A WE 421A to go along with a WE 6SN7 would be pretty sweet...especially for all of us who have one of Toms creations.... Likely expensive as all heck, but sweet nonetheless.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #96,042 of 155,069
Fun fact: What he's holding actually is an alphorn—in its … uhm … unexcited state. 🤪
. 😳
I guess I did that to myself… 😅
Nice post! Sarah Willis is one of the MOST INCREDIBLE people on the planet! Thank you for introducing her to this thread!
OK. French horns. Difficult to play, sharpest brass mouthpiece ever, hold your hand wrong and the note is flat, etc. Basically, a wickedly hard brass instrument to master. And then there’s the (valveless) baroque trumpet. Alison Balsom is the mistress of same, listening to her playing any trumpet, but especially these, is simply magical. Recommended highly. Pitch change accomplished only with embouchure changes. I earned my way through college with a trumpet, and I’m amazed at this.

Jul 9, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #96,043 of 155,069
That's quite an expression of friendship. This forum is lucky to have the likes of @bcowen and @Paladin79 as participants.

No one ever seems to put this much craft into solid-state gear, <grump>,<grump> :)

Jul 10, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #96,045 of 155,069
So, I thought this might be worthwhile posting. What having a very nice, if somewhat hot and humid, vacation in Charleston with my wife, we stumbled on this guy. He makes one of guitars from reclaimed wood. I almost bought one and I haven't played for 30 years and was terrible. Apologies for the book of face link, that is where most of the best photos are.
FB_IMG_1657426950416.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063743493203

Users who are viewing this thread

Back