Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 30, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #95,507 of 150,257
Jun 30, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #95,509 of 150,257
Hello.

Apologies if what I’m asking below is a dumb question about Schiit headphone amplifiers, but it strikes me that posting it the week that Schiit announce their most expensive headphone amplifier ever is, well, double dumb, as I may well regret the advice I receive. :astonished:

The Folkvangr has brought out a few new posters and with it some useful data on high-impedance headphones that the Folkvangr can apparently drive.

As you can see from my avatar and signature, my listening gear consists of a vintage Armstrong 621 amp (bought new in 1977) and an equally vintage pair of Wharfedale Isodynamics, (bought from Hi-Fi aficionado and friend who’d bought them new in ~1974).

The Iso’s are fine, and are happy being driven out of the loudspeaker ports of the 621, as they were designed to be. The 621 is beginning to complain under the strain so I need to look at a replacement; ideally from the Schiit range.

I don’t know how to read the Schiit amplifier specifications to identify which of them would drive the Iso’s, so I’m asking the group for guidance.

The data points I have are;
The Isodynamics state on their data label;
Impedance of 120 ohms ±15%
Power Maximum input not to exceed 25v r.m.s.
Sensitivity: 30 mW input for 95 db S.P.L.

The 621 specifies that out of the loudspeaker sockets it will deliver up to 40 watts into 8 ohms. Loads less than 4 ohms are not recommended.The volume control on the 621 turns from 0 at 7 o’clock to full at 5 o’clock, and the Iso’s come alive at 10 o’clock and are too loud at 11:30-12:00 o’clock.

The other data point we have is from valiant66 who has posted here on Schiit Happened and on the Head-Fi dedicated Isodynamic thread that driving his Iso’s out of a Magni’s speaker ports was nearly but just not loud enough at full volume on the Magni 3. I echo valiant66's comments that the Iso's are edge case HPs, so it's not a surprise that identifying a Schiit amp is not straightforward.

I’ve been advised that driving them from a Schiit loudspeaker amp wouldn’t work as the 120 ohm resistance would trip the protection circuitry. It’s also been suggested that the headphone socket on a Ragnarok might provide the required power.

I’ve emailed info@schiit.com and had replies, but as they have no direct experience of the Iso’s connected to Schiit gear, then the answers are, understandably, noncommittal.

I simply don’t know electrical engineering, so I’m not able to work out from the various Schiit amp specifications which of their amps can provide the required power and deal with the high resistance of the Iso’s.

As I’m in the UK, then the restocking charge of an un-satisfactory amp will have to include return transatlantic freight charges, and possibly non-refundable import taxes, so I’d like to avoid those if I can as they will reduce the budget available for the other Schiit components that will inevitably follow once the 621 is retired to cosmetic duties.

I’m hoping that the collective wisdom here on the group will provide an answer, and that without draining too much of my pension I’ll be able settle on what hopefully will be my end-game amp for my wonderful headphones.

Thanks to the members who’ve helped me get this far on PMs.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #95,511 of 150,257
Regularly being teased for maybe potentially being a wee tiny bit excitable about new Schiit (allegedly!) doesn't leave me unaffected, ya know?! 🤪
So now I simply am the pouty and contrarian "adult" (-adjacent/-wannabe) that I am and choose to overcorrect by forcing myself to wait a full month. 😎
I fully blame you for my audio nervosa after reading your initial “short” review of the Tyrs. It forced me to Schiit or get off the pot and get the second Aegir. Rules are meant to be broken. Review away.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #95,512 of 150,257
To all Schiitizens planning a trip to Far East CA in a couple of weeks: do you plan to attend the Roundup Friday or Saturday? I am close by, at least by Texas standards, but I don't think I'll attend both days and would prefer to be there when most everyone else will be.

Jun 30, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #95,514 of 150,257
That's the problem with Schiit's products. They are so affordable before you know it your renting a storage facility to hold the equipment you don't have room for in your house and rotating the units. It's kind of like collecting stamps. You wouldn't get rid of a 50 cent Columbian Exposition issue because you've just acquired a 1 dollar Columbian Exposition issue.
DCA Stealth sound at their best with less than a half watt of power from an 8 ohm, otc amplifier. I'm very curious how they'll sound without the txformer. I kind of like the sound that way, but I've wanted to check out otl sound for a while. This seems like a bargain for what it is.

Jun 30, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #95,515 of 150,257
Anyone here with after market SE cable for the 6XX they like? Stock comes with a 6’ cable and that is just too limiting.
What length were you seeking? I gave away some 6XX’s and probably have cables I made for them still in my shop.

Jun 30, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #95,516 of 150,257
DCA Stealth sound at their best with less than a half watt of power from an 8 ohm, otc amplifier. I'm very curious how they'll sound without the txformer. I kind of like the sound that way, but I've wanted to check out otl sound for a while. This seems like a bargain for what it is.
I will be testing my Stealth with the Folkvangr next weekend when it arrives. If FedEx holds up their end of the bargain. 😬

Jun 30, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #95,518 of 150,257
I’m thinking somewhere between 10 and 15 feet, enough to get to the couch.
I will look around tomorrow, and check lengths. I spent most of my day working on amplifiers and this is my time to relax.😁

Jun 30, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #95,519 of 150,257
Hello.

Apologies if what I’m asking below is a dumb question about Schiit headphone amplifiers, but it strikes me that posting it the week that Schiit announce their most expensive headphone amplifier ever is, well, double dumb, as I may well regret the advice I receive. :astonished:

The Folkvangr has brought out a few new posters and with it some useful data on high-impedance headphones that the Folkvangr can apparently drive.

As you can see from my avatar and signature, my listening gear consists of a vintage Armstrong 621 amp (bought new in 1977) and an equally vintage pair of Wharfedale Isodynamics, (bought from Hi-Fi aficionado and friend who’d bought them new in ~1974).

The Iso’s are fine, and are happy being driven out of the loudspeaker ports of the 621, as they were designed to be. The 621 is beginning to complain under the strain so I need to look at a replacement; ideally from the Schiit range.

I don’t know how to read the Schiit amplifier specifications to identify which of them would drive the Iso’s, so I’m asking the group for guidance.

The data points I have are;
The Isodynamics state on their data label;

The 621 specifies that out of the loudspeaker sockets it will deliver up to 40 watts into 8 ohms. Loads less than 4 ohms are not recommended.The volume control on the 621 turns from 0 at 7 o’clock to full at 5 o’clock, and the Iso’s come alive at 10 o’clock and are too loud at 11:30-12:00 o’clock.

The other data point we have is from valiant66 who has posted here on Schiit Happened and on the Head-Fi dedicated Isodynamic thread that driving his Iso’s out of a Magni’s speaker ports was nearly but just not loud enough at full volume on the Magni 3. I echo valiant66's comments that the Iso's are edge case HPs, so it's not a surprise that identifying a Schiit amp is not straightforward.

I’ve been advised that driving them from a Schiit loudspeaker amp wouldn’t work as the 120 ohm resistance would trip the protection circuitry. It’s also been suggested that the headphone socket on a Ragnarok might provide the required power.

I’ve emailed info@schiit.com and had replies, but as they have no direct experience of the Iso’s connected to Schiit gear, then the answers are, understandably, noncommittal.

I simply don’t know electrical engineering, so I’m not able to work out from the various Schiit amp specifications which of their amps can provide the required power and deal with the high resistance of the Iso’s.

As I’m in the UK, then the restocking charge of an un-satisfactory amp will have to include return transatlantic freight charges, and possibly non-refundable import taxes, so I’d like to avoid those if I can as they will reduce the budget available for the other Schiit components that will inevitably follow once the 621 is retired to cosmetic duties.

I’m hoping that the collective wisdom here on the group will provide an answer, and that without draining too much of my pension I’ll be able settle on what hopefully will be my end-game amp for my wonderful headphones.

Thanks to the members who’ve helped me get this far on PMs.
The Magni 3 should be a great choice. The power specs are Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 410mW RMS per channel. Your headphones are about half the impedance (ohms) and the Magni 3 should put out twice as much power. There will be plenty of power.
Hope this helps,
barondla

Jun 30, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #95,520 of 150,257
It's in the 40's here, should hit 45C by Friday. Normal for Arizona. And since it's monsoon season, humidity is up so it's no longer a dry heat. :) We don't get severe heat warnings at anything below 43C.

Funny. Toronto issues severe heat warnings above 30 degrees, if sustained for more than 3 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back