Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 25, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #93,676 of 150,704
Being a sports fan is hard (when your team cannot win to save their lives)... sigh...

Last year our local ice hockey team won the championship for the second time in their history after 58 years of waiting.

May 25, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #93,677 of 150,704
The Freya S arrived today. I was right, the Saga S was holding the system back, it's an amazing upgrade. The detail and placement within the soundstage is amazing. The Bifrost 2 does look a little lost on top, but I can live with it..... For now. I might wait to see if they do any upgrades on Gumby...

I wouldn't be surprised, I'm currently awaiting the return of my Gumby from it's upgrade to Unison. When I looked at the upgrade queue after ordering I was the only person in it. I was expecting a much longer wait.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #93,678 of 150,704
Interesting information. I could be wrong but it seems like evaporative cooling was used in the form of water bags hung in front of radiators on vehicles.
Growing up in Roswell New Mexico, in 1965 we call them swamp coolers. Instead of a water bag, we actually took a hose and put water in the bottom of the blower unit. Very effective.

May 25, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #93,679 of 150,704
Growing up in Roswell New Mexico, in 1965 we call them swamp coolers. Instead of a water bag, we actually took a hose and put water in the bottom of the blower unit. Very effective.
Swamp coolers are still widely used in New Mexico. I am surprised, though, that the aliens did not provide you with better tech down in Roswell. :alien:

May 25, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #93,680 of 150,704
Well, Germany as a whole. And probably Switzerland :wink:
Wait... what? I've had cold beer in Germany. And in Switzerland. And in Belgium.

The UK? Lukewarm.

May 25, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #93,681 of 150,704
Swamp coolers are still widely used in New Mexico. I am surprised, though, that the aliens did not provide you with better tech down in Roswell. :alien:
I find it interesting to move from Roswell to an area near Oak Ridge National Laboratory. I have spent some time in that area. :)

May 25, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #93,682 of 150,704
Wait... what? I've had cold beer in Germany. And in Switzerland. And in Belgium.

The UK? Lukewarm.
Well then -- apparently you've been getting your beer at the lesser regarded biergartens. :D

May 25, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #93,684 of 150,704
Oooohhhh.....2 Melz 6SN7's just delivered to my apartment a month early from Ukraine! I know what I will be doing this evening! Thanks again for your help Paladin79!!!
You are most welcome. I am glad folks were able to ship from Ukraine I often wondered how well that would work. If you run into any issues please feel free to contact me and I will help if i can.

May 25, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #93,686 of 150,704
May 25, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #93,687 of 150,704
Great recommendation @CJG888 :relaxed:

As a fellow real ale geek, I'll second 'Proper Job' as a fine ale.

I was supping a pint of this excellent ale in a pub near St Austell just last week, while I was down in Cornwall!

Another Cornish ale which I really enjoyed while I was down there, was Skinners' 'Porthleven- Untameable Pale Ale'. Superb!
https://skinnersbrewery.com/porthleven-untameable-pale-ale/

It helped that I was drinking it in one of my favourite pubs anywhere in the UK- The Ship Inn, Porthleven
It is a 17th century pub overlooking the picturesque harbour.

https://theshipinnporthleven.co.uk/

Perfect!

Cheers :beerchug:
St Austel also do a very good brewery tour.

If I remember correctly they are the 3rd largest employer in Cornwall, next to the Council and NHS.

Andrew

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #93,688 of 150,704
My last experience in SF was about 12 years ago when my wife's newly-married niece moved there. We made the 100 mile, 5 hour trip from Rocklin to help them move in to their apartment that was a couple blocks from the top of Lombard street. 750 square feet on the 3rd floor, no elevator, no washer/dryer hookups, no dedicated parking, and all for the low, low price of $4500/month. Laundry time? Hoof it down 3 flights of stairs and then walk from 1 to 8 blocks to the car depending on where you could find a parking spot the last time you came home. Repeat for groceries. But, it was a fairly trendy area with lots of bars and restaurants within reasonable walking distance, and for a couple mid-20-somethings making good money they absolutely loved it. I'm too old, and prefer to spend my time being pissed off at the garage door opener if it doesn't work on the first try. Having to walk inside all the way from the driveway instead of the garage would totally suck. :laughing:

Good to know that being pissed off at the garage door opener when it doesn't work on the first try is "normal". I turned 50 at the beginning of this month and only rather recently developed this, so I guess these things come with the territory.
Guess I am doomed, in the young demographic here and haven't wanted the deep urban experience like this yet.
I only scratched Boston off my list because I honestly don't think I could understand a single word spoken by any native Bostonian. It took me long enough to master deciphering of Texas Twang.

Plus I HATE THE PATRIOTS! 😀
Do you hate the Patriots, or do you hate The Hoodie? Hating Belichick is perfectly okay.

May 25, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #93,689 of 150,704
Do you hate the Patriots, or do you hate The Hoodie? Hating Belichick is perfectly okay.
I have a strong dislike for the owner and the coach. The QB issue has resolved itself, so baby steps. :D

** I'm not too keen on Jerry Jones either, but I can't hate the Cowboys because the wife is a HUGE Cowboys fan. It's part of our prenup agreement that if I ever 'hate' the Cowboys, it would result in immediate dissolution of the marriage and forfeiture of all assets including audio. :unamused:

May 25, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #93,690 of 150,704
Guess I am doomed, in the young demographic here and haven't wanted the deep urban experience like this yet.

Hating anything is not OK. Better choice is "dislike ".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back